Eden Silverware, sanitary?

Stateroom_Sailor

2 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

That arrangement does seem to present a sanitation problem.  However, since the USPH is involved with the construction of a ship that is going to follow the VSP (as all cruise ships home porting in the US do), it must have been addressed.  My only thought is that the entire drawer is taken out between guests, and a new drawer with the flatware already placed in it by crew with gloves is installed.

The drawer itself may be switched out and sanitized between each passenger but there is also the inner area of the drawer pocket. 

Odds are that fingers would come in contact with areas on the drawer that would also contact the drawer pocket or the drawer pocket itself. 

It appears that in the process of taking out the flatware it, as well as fingers, could easily could come in contact with the inner, surfaces of the drawer pocket as well.

Not saying that these issues are odds on sure things when it comes to spreading illness but they are possibilities, however slim.

1 hour ago, boscobeans said:

The drawer itself may be switched out and sanitized between each passenger but there is also the inner area of the drawer pocket. 

Odds are that fingers would come in contact with areas on the drawer that would also contact the drawer pocket or the drawer pocket itself. 

It appears that in the process of taking out the flatware it, as well as fingers, could easily could come in contact with the inner, surfaces of the drawer pocket as well.

Not saying that these issues are odds on sure things when it comes to spreading illness but they are possibilities, however slim.

If that is a separate "pocket" or liner with the individual pockets for the flatware, that would mean that the drawer liner could be taken out, not the drawer, and sanitized.  That may be what I'm seeing as molded compartments for the flatware, and if this is plastic it would be easier to deal with.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

If that is a separate "pocket" or liner with the individual pockets for the flatware, that would mean that the drawer liner could be taken out, not the drawer, and sanitized.  That may be what I'm seeing as molded compartments for the flatware, and if this is plastic it would be easier to deal with.

I know how thorough the USPH  inspections are  and I hope they are aware of and check out this strange feature .

1 hour ago, boscobeans said:

I know how thorough the USPH  inspections are  and I hope they are aware of and check out this strange feature .

Typically, the cruise lines use the VSP construction manual as a guide when building the ship, particularly the food service areas, and then USPH will do a preliminary survey prior to the ship getting it's certificate, so this should have been addressed at that time.  Particularly after RCI's mammoth problems with Monarch (IIRC) when they took it back from Pullmantur and had to gut the galley areas, I would think that their compliance team would not have done anything that would run afoul of the USPH.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Typically, the cruise lines use the VSP construction manual as a guide when building the ship, particularly the food service areas, and then USPH will do a preliminary survey prior to the ship getting it's certificate, so this should have been addressed at that time.  Particularly after RCI's mammoth problems with Monarch (IIRC) when they took it back from Pullmantur and had to gut the galley areas, I would think that their compliance team would not have done anything that would run afoul of the USPH.

Actually,  it was Empress of the seas that had the galley area issue.