some basic questions

jimmybean

I would appreciate answers to some basic questions:

1.   Is there any advantage for buying beverage package, tours, internet before sailing?   Would they be less expensive if purchases now instead of on the ship?

2.   Is internet in the Caribbean reasonably fast?   We will be on the Reflection.

3.   With T-mobile international plan (cell phone uses satellite instead of cell towers) will I be able to text on the ship?   Does the ship have anything that blocks cell use?   I imagine there will be no problem using the cell phone in various ports.

Thanks for your help!

here

1 hour ago, jimmybean said:

I would appreciate answers to some basic questions:

1.   Is there any advantage for buying beverage package, tours, internet before sailing?   Would they be less expensive if purchases now instead of on the ship?

2.   Is internet in the Caribbean reasonably fast?   We will be on the Reflection.

3.   With T-mobile international plan (cell phone uses satellite instead of cell towers) will I be able to text on the ship?   Does the ship have anything that blocks cell use?   I imagine there will be no problem using the cell phone in various ports.

Thanks for your help!

Here is my take on your questions:

1- They are usually cheaper before boarding.  (no guarantee)

2- On my western trip on Equinox last year the internet was fast enough for email, and wifi calling with no issues.

3-- T-mobile international phones do not use satellite, t-mobile has agreements with many international carriers to handle their cell traffic.  unless you have a bulky satellite phone you would have to rely on either the ship's cell service (not cheap), or, if you are getting an internet (wifi) package, you can make wifi calls as long as your phone supports it.

Steve

1.  Watch for 20% or 30% sale promotions a couple of months before your cruise.  It is usually cheaper beforehand.

2.  I have found the Internet as being very slow, especially on sea days.  At times, it is like the old dial up.

3.  No problem using the cell phone in most ports.  Just check on your plan as you don't want to get a surprise $$$.

Enjoy your cruise.

• Like 1

I can answer the TMobile plan with the proviso that YOUR plan included the benefits ours does.  We use their 55+ plan and if anybody is over 55 and only needs 2 lines, it's literally an unbeatable deal (except for, maybe, some prepaid plans.  But Your phone at Costco or switch the one you have after you get it unlocked.)

free UNLIMITED data and texting from most large counties.  Data worked better, so I used email instead of texts.  We have used it in the Caribbean, ireland, Scotland and the Norwegian Fjords with no problems.  I've already looked, and we'll have it in Japan and S Korea.  Not always available on the ship because the cell towers aren't accessible.  (But, really, is anything THAT critical that it can't wait a day or two?). International phone calls are available at an extra cost (We never needed them)

can't answer questions about ship internet.  It's totally unnecessary to us.  Everyone survived just fine 10 years ago without it.  

Edited by jkgourmet