What to do in Civitavecchia the day between B2B cruises

Cruising_Christine

Hello,

I would really appreciate your input and advice.

We have a back-to-back cruise from Civitavecchia on the Jewel of the Seas in June.

Are there any excursions that a cruise line might offer? We do not want want to go to Rome - we have been there many times.

But perhaps, there is ship excursion that might take us to a country side or a beach and get us back to the ship in time for the next cruise.

Also, we have different cabins on each cruise. Is there a place where we can store our luggage?

Thank you in advance,

Chris 

How the ship itself handles the changing of cabins, and whether or not they offer excursions ( I am sure they will) should be checked on the RCI board. They will help you change cabins, and arrange the movement of personal stuff.

If you look down the board there are several threads on what to do in the Civi area. Threads like these are just down the board:

Lots of threads out there about visiting Ostica... Rome's original Port.

You will not need to store your luggage anywhere.  Royal Caribbean will provide you with details on what to do. It is a good idea to stop by the service desk a couple days into your first cruise to make sure they have you on their list of B2B passengers.  Assuming you are on this list, you should receive a letter one day in your cabin with full instructions on what the process will be.  It is also a good idea to discuss this with your first cabin steward.  He/She will work with you to get your belongings to your new room for the second cruise.  Usually, they tell you to pack your possessions and leave them in your cabin at the end of the first cruise.  They may or may not want you to pack the clothing that you have on hangers.  Sometimes, they offer to move those "as-is" but sometimes, they don't want to do that.  Either way, they will work with the "new" cabin steward to get your luggage to the new room while you do the B2B processing.

On my B2B (which was also on Royal Caribbean), I don't recall them offering any ship excursions.  But I was free to leave the ship for the day if I wanted to do something on my own.  I was also free to stay on the ship after a quick "Check Out/Check In" process with security.  I left the ship and walked around Civitaveccia for a while and then returned in the mid-afternoon.  I was able to bypass the check-in process and proceed directly to the ship, since I was given my new ID card earlier in the day during the B2B process.

Depends how long you have. Civitavechia is worth a look around. There’s a really nice market there, and a few nice shops in the small pedestrian only area. There’s a nice promenade and some nice cafes too.

Another option is to get the local bus (or a taxi) to Tarquinia, which is a beautiful walled city with a necropolis.