How to pick check in time

PatandStu

We are departing SAN Juan on a Sunday at 9pm.  Our edocs are asking us to pick a check in time. But I’ve read that some of the tourist attractions are not open on Sundays or are affected by the current govt shutdown. 

My question is: is it better to select an early check in time and show up late if there are things to explore? Or do we pick a late check in time and show up early if we can’t visit the tour spots? 

How carefully do they pay attention to the times on your edocs? 

Pat 

NCL doesn't currently enforce the check-in times but that can always change...... I always pick the earliest because even if you're late you can check-in but if you choose a late check-in and you arrive early you may have to wait.

CCL strictly enforces so I'm basing my logic on that in the event NCL begins to. 

• Like 1

I've always just picked the earliest available to me. Sometimes by the time I've completed online check in, the earliest option is 1 pm. I've never had an issue showing up earlier than my check in time. However, I have only sailed out of 2 ports (Miami and Port Canaveral). I don't know if they would enforce it at other ports. YMMV. 

It's best to pick the earlier time. If you choose the later time they could make you wait. Also pay attention to the muster drill times. I've seen where ships don't leave port until 9 pm, but the muster drill is still at 4:30.

Thanks. We’ve changed our check in times to an earlier time. 

Even if we’re later than what we’ve put on the checkin info page, we’ll still be there before the 4:30 muster drill.

What do they do for those who don’t arrive till later? 

Pat

Your cruise ship normally arrives in the morning of your departure.

Thus it must be cleared of the disembarking guests - cleaned - resupplied - and cleared by Customs .

Earliest possible boarding times would be perhaps 11 am.

Those guests with previous travel on NCL and those in suites will board first.

If someone in your cabin or party is of the status board with them at their time frame.

Guests with mobility issues (wheelchairs/scooters) are boarded whenever in the mix.

If offered a time frame to board - take the earliest one as noted above in post #2.

If not provided a time frame in which to board arrive at the earliest and hope your waiting time will not be long.

If a designated time is later - well you can always arrive earlier and attempt to board - your transportation did

not leave you any options.

Boarding on the smaller ships is not all that much of problem but you should expect perhaps a half hour to an hour wait.

The bigger ships have dual (even/odd) deck boarding and I don't have an experience with that to comment.

As noted in post #3 BEWARE the MUSTER DRILL time - everyone must attend the Muster Drill and if missed you

will be required to attend a make-up session. Usually the Muster Drill is held about an hour or so before sailing when

almost everyone is on board. When on board check out the details on this.

Getting on and off Noah's ark is always a zoo - organized mayhem at best - go with the flow - relax and take it all in !