Fascination soon and so many questions!

Crazy4Camping

Is there any benefit to getting transfers through Carnival rather than hailing a cab(going from airport to pier and then reverse on last day)?

Is there any benefit to planning excursions through Carnival rather than another company?  Has anyone had issues either way?

Is formal night really formal?  Do they serve lobster and/or prime rib on that night (or anytime?) ?

We are sailing out of San Juan and I recently learned of the taxes charged while in port.  So, everything we buy/drink on the ship the first day is subject to sales tax, correct?  And if so, what it the rate?

I'm sure I will think of more questions but any info about ANYTHING is greatly appreciated!!!

1. Not really

2. The main benefit is that if for some reason the excursion runs late that the ship will typically not leave without you or at the very least they will have the cost of transporting you to the next port. Obviously this is more of an issue for shorter port days and especially for very far drives like when people go to ruins that are 2 hour drives from the ports for example. The other issue that some people report is that some excursion operators have an exclusive deal with Carnival and will not allow you to book directly through them. Typically it is cheaper and smaller groups if you book through an outside excursion. 

3. They call it elegant night instead of formal night but they pretty much allow anything except jeans, t-shirts, shorts, and ball caps. Some people report that they all those 2. If it’s a 6 night or longer cruise they will have lobster on the first elegant night. I think they have Prime rib at all elegant nights. If it’s a shorter cruise you can buy lobster in the MDR for $20 any night.

4. I don’t actually know that one.

Have a great time!

1)  We did a taxi.  At the airport you will get your luggage and queue up in a line.  You'll tell the person at the head of the line how many and where you're going.  They will hand you a slip of paper and you will get in the next cab.  It's that easy.  We flew in the night before and spent the night at a hotel.   We asked our driver while on the way to the hotel (he was very friendly, a good driver, and had a nice mini van) if he would be willing to pick us up in the morning and take us to the port.  We gave him a time when we were planned on checking out.  He gave us his business card and said to call him after we checked out and ready to leave.  We called as we were checking out and he was there waiting for us.

2) Same as 30scruiser said.   You have piece of mind knowing the ship will be there if you get stuck in traffic, or have other issues.

3)   I don't remember the night the lobster was offered.   And it's elegant night.  On our cruise last April, most people that were at the least dining in Dress pants and a collared shirt at dinner.  Saw a number of elegant dresses and tuxedos.  My brother in law and I wore Suit coats and ties, our 'gals wore nice dresses.

4)  Not sure on that either.  Sounds reasonable to expect taxes to be charged while in port though.  No idea on the rate - if applicable.  Note with this port, it's very easy to bring on your allotted 1 bottle of wine per person, and then get back off the ship, walk the 4 blocks to the Walgreens or CVS and get another bottle per person.   Heck, we decided to try bringing back some cans of beer after we saw how lax the security team was when we first boarded.  I brought on a bottle of Rum, my brother 2 eight packs of beer when the 4 of us came back through, they didn't even look inside the bags after the xray.

Edited by WIFamily

Grabbing a taxi at the airport was incredibly easy. They have the process streamlined. Grab bags from conveyor. Follow signs for taxi. There is an individual standing outside by a taxi sign who has a pad of taxi papers. Tell them where you are headed. I think the average rate was between 21-25. Carnival was way more. 

I’ve noticed a lot of the excursions on TripAdvisor were identical to the ones listed on Carnival. After you book you usually get a discount code for 48 hours for between 10-25% off 3 excursions. If you are looking to save money, book through one of the highly rated shore excursions on one of the excursion websites. In June (2018) a lot of Carnival’s excursions messed up the time they needed to be back to port, in St. Kitts. I think both the ATV and Ziplining groups were over an hour late. The boat waited. But they were a carnival excursion. 

The tax the first day was minimal enough that I didn’t pay attention. As the others have suggested, security is very lax getting on the boat initially. You can get off and on as many times as you want and bring on soda/ whatever. Right before you get on the ship there are liquor stores. I didn’t try buying some and walking in but I really doubt they would stop you. 

There is a walgreens and cvs directly across from the port where you can buy soda/wine/whatever you need last minute. 

People were here dressed up formal night. On the first forms night there was lobster. 

Edited by Mm13

1.) The only real perk as with most perks booked through a cruise line is "convenience". An Uber is just as good, if not better (in the big cities), usually cheaper.

2.) Again convenience. They will guarantee you get back in time. You are less likely to get scammed. Not to say there aren't a bunch of reputable vendors out there. Many people don't want to do the research. Carnival's excursions are almost always more money. Sometimes you can get a price adjustment to an OBC if everything is identical

3.) There will be two formal nights. The first is the lobster night. I've noticed both formal nights tend to have the prime rib. The second formal night tends to get less formal

4.) Not sure on the taxes.

I did a Fascination cruise last year. You will have a blast! Spend at least a night in San Juan, if you can.

I agree with all answers from Mm13.  One tip for the taxi line at the airport:  we always grab a porter to get our bags at the luggage belt and he takes you right to the front of the taxi line.  No waiting, very useful when a few planes have landed at the same time and everyone is waiting to get a taxi.  If you take Carnival transportation you have to wait for everyone who signed up to catch the bus.  Carnival Transportation costs more.

We typically use private tour companies.  Sometimes we have had trouble booking a tour privately (the sugar train on St. Kitts is one example) because the company has a contact with Carnival and you can not book independently.  We do not like that most of the ship tours involve big tour busses so that is the main reason we book independently.

If there was an extra tax charged on the first day, we did not notice.  I tried looking back over our receipts, but I can not see any extra charges.

We brought on wine and soda initially, got off and brought more wine and soda and repeated again.  No one batted an eye.  They are very lax at the port. 

I think the people on this cruise were dressed up more than other recent cruises.  A lot of cruisers were having pictures taken on elegant nights.  There was lobster served the first elegant night and I do remember prime rib on the second elegant night.

1. Taxi was very easy to get, and they all have a set charge. We took one from airport to hotel, and from hotel to port.

2. We did a couple through Carnival and the rest on our own. I researched a lot, and those we did on our own had very good ratings.

3. There were 2 formal nights, and you will see some very dressed up, and some not so much. Lobster was the 1st formal night, but you could do a upcharge and order it anytime.

4. We were charged taxes on our drinks while in port, but this was later refunded back to us on our account.

The Fascination is a great cruise, loved it!

17 hours ago, cindik said:

1. Taxi was very easy to get, and they all have a set charge. We took one from airport to hotel, and from hotel to port.

2. We did a couple through Carnival and the rest on our own. I researched a lot, and those we did on our own had very good ratings.

3. There were 2 formal nights, and you will see some very dressed up, and some not so much. Lobster was the 1st formal night, but you could do a upcharge and order it anytime.

4. We were charged taxes on our drinks while in port, but this was later refunded back to us on our account.

The Fascination is a great cruise, loved it!

Refunded back? Why?  Did you have Cheers?

First off . . . .lucky you!  Fascination is really excellent and more modernized after the dry dock.  Went in May and it was a delight.

First word of advice . . . .pace yourself.  If its your first time doing this itinerary, if you try to do everything on every day . . . .you may wear yourself out.  My cruise was 7 ports in 7 days lol

Personally I book nothing through Carnival on the excurison front.  It is likely to be more expensive, have more people, be less personal and offer less.  These companies on these islands have amazing reviews and depend on top of the line service.  

The one place I absolutely recommend a full day tour is in St. Lucia.  You get a lot of bang for your buck and there is a lot to see, but you absolutely will be tired after an action packed day.

The one thing the Fascination was really missing was a steakhouse.  Anniversary was on my cruise and I would of loved to visit the steakhouse that night.  Sure could of did the $20 upcharge in MDR but its not the same and truth be told the food in MDR was better than expected.  They do have Chef’s table but the location was out in the open for all to see and it looked a bit “stuffy” if I am gonna be honest.  The money spent on that could be used on a Barbados catamaran splurge.

Definitely find a port where you can do port stuff early and come back to the ship early to relax in the Serenity section . . . We did this in Saint Maarten after an early tour with Bernards (highly recommend them) and it was a great way to relax for a few hours.

Have strategic “beach only days” . . . .St. Thomas and St. Kitts fit the bill well here and help keep you relaxed throughout the trip.  Even beach days at these places usually include a quick “highlights” so you get a taste of the island.

I didn't do Cheers because of all the “off ship” drinking and I ended up spending about $250 on drinks for 2 on the ship.  Mainly at the alchemy bar at night . . . .i took advantage of bringing multiple bottles of wine onboard at San Juan so I had dinner wine every night.

Other than that just have fun and relax, you will be spoiled by that itinerary.

• Like 2

You're getting great advice here OP.  We've done that itinerary twice and love it.  Alternate beach and 'active' days.  You won't be on the ship as much as a traditional Florida departure so pacing yourself is important.

And San Juan is a wonderful city.  Hopefully you'll have a little time to explore the day before.  Hit one or both forts.  And on sailaway, enjoy the stunning views at night as you leave the harbor.  Send out that last texted photo or instagram with the last of your American cell signal as you pass the fort and say goodbye.  

Definitely taxi from the airport.  Ubers are plentiful but I don't think they are allowed to pick up at the airport. 

On 1/20/2019 at 1:00 PM, Crazy4Camping said:

Is there any benefit to getting transfers through Carnival rather than hailing a cab(going from airport to pier and then reverse on last day)?

Is there any benefit to planning excursions through Carnival rather than another company?  Has anyone had issues either way?

Is formal night really formal?  Do they serve lobster and/or prime rib on that night (or anytime?) ?

We are sailing out of San Juan and I recently learned of the taxes charged while in port.  So, everything we buy/drink on the ship the first day is subject to sales tax, correct?  And if so, what it the rate?

I'm sure I will think of more questions but any info about ANYTHING is greatly appreciated!!!

I have my review of the itin I think you are going on in my tag line if you'd like to check it out.

My feedback on two items:

I will never do a Carnival transfer again to get to the ship. WE LOST SO MUCH TIME! We had to stop and pick up so many people and it took too long. However, I did like doing an excursion that had the transfer back to the airport included.

We are now stepping out to non-Carnival sponsored excursions and have thoroughly enjoyed them - like the one we did in St Lucia which is included in my review.

Enjoy your cruise!!!