Internet

ErLee

I can’t figure out how to search individual forums on this new platform, so forgive me for not searching for an answer!

We’ll be on the Coral in June and it looks like the new internet packages are available instead of the per minute plans of the past.  I’m looking for opinions from those who have experienced the new plans on which level will be suitable for primarily email access and mild surfing? I mainly want to be sure that I can be in touch with my kids at home. 

Thanks for for any advice!

7 hours ago, ErLee said:

I can’t figure out how to search individual forums on this new platform, so forgive me for not searching for an answer!

We’ll be on the Coral in June and it looks like the new internet packages are available instead of the per minute plans of the past.  I’m looking for opinions from those who have experienced the new plans on which level will be suitable for primarily email access and mild surfing? I mainly want to be sure that I can be in touch with my kids at home. 

Thanks for for any advice!

We are going on the Coral next week, and I had the same question.  My TA advised me to take the Surf package, which is the middle of the three packages offered.

I had the same question and on another site had a reply from someone currently on the Coral on a Panama Canal cruise. Her reply agrees with your TA to buy the middle package.  The lower package does not have email. She also said it worked well at first but then was terrible. It had messed up her I messages and wouldn’t connect to I cloud. I am thinking of going without internet and catching up in ports. 

If not part of the new Medallion net which i am pretty sure the Coral is not the onboard internet can be painfully slow regardless of what package you have. If one has unlimited then its a moot point but if one is buying minutes then you can burn through them pretty fast.

If the new internet packages are being offered on your cruise then the new Medallion net has been installed.  If the older different minutes are being offered then the ship has the older very slow internet.  Princess is upgrading their ships for the faster Medallion net even though the OM is not installed. 

I was quite recently on the Grand to Mexican Riviera.   Initially, I had the middle package, it could be slow at times, but was fine.   It was quite easy to switch between my laptop and my mobile device using the same account.

Midway through the cruise, they were offering upgrades to the highest package for about $5/day.   I waited until the last 2 sea days, then upgraded as I wanted to see the different, and for $10 it was a cheap experiment.

I did not try streaming movies; I had been unable to access a spreadsheet (or anything) from Onedrive in the cloud on the middle package, but was able to easily do so on the top package.

Another note:   be sure to check all your apps on your mobile device and set them to NOT automatically refresh, especially not background refresh -- it just will just overall really slow down your internet experience.

Secondly,

When you log out of one device, say your laptop, then leave the room, make sure you re-log in to the mobile device, or you won't really have internet on it, even though the internet logo shows.

DH and I each had a package, and set our phones to use wifi calling, thus we were able to call and text each other using our normal text/calling functions on our phone --- we didn't use the Princess at Sea messaging much at all.

One the middle package, I was able to call my daughter on a sea day and have a quick chat, which was nice (remember, using the internet for calling, not the ship's cell tower).

hope this helps,

Mary