Military Tattoo and time in Edinburgh

styme123

I booked a tour to take me to the Tattoo in Aug. from the Glasgow port. Before we get to the Tattoo we will visit Stirling Castle, Loch Lomond, and Trossachs Park before heading to the Edinburg Castle. We have some time in Edinburgh before the performance. How much time do you think we would need to see the sites in the town in Edinburgh? A few days later we port in Edinburgh at South Queensferry. Do you think I will need to dedicate the whole day just to see the sites in town or should we take a tour of the sites in the countryside? TIA      

7 hours ago, styme123 said:

I booked a tour to take me to the Tattoo in Aug. from the Glasgow port. Before we get to the Tattoo we will visit Stirling Castle, Loch Lomond, and Trossachs Park before heading to the Edinburg Castle. We have some time in Edinburgh before the performance. How much time do you think we would need to see the sites in the town in Edinburgh? A few days later we port in Edinburgh at South Queensferry. Do you think I will need to dedicate the whole day just to see the sites in town or should we take a tour of the sites in the countryside? TIA      

Full disclosure, I have never visited Edinburgh via cruise ship but I have spent many weeks over the years driving through the Scottish countryside. I absolutely love Edinburgh and have attended the Tattoo 3 times over the years - it is amazing. Edinburgh has much to offer and a single day in the city will barely scratch the surface. So, in answer to your query ... IMHO, yes, dedicate a full day to the sites in Edinburgh.

There are locals that post on this forum - hopefully they will chime in.

Edited by dogs4fun

On 1/20/2019 at 11:56 PM, styme123 said:

I am planning for next year. Who is your tour with--can you give me their website? What time do they pick you up at the pier? Thanks.

Depends on what you want to see in town.  The castle where the tattoo is performed is a little over a mile from Holyrood House along the Royal Mile.  An easy enough walk, (there are buses) and along this walk are lots of shops, museums and other sites.  The whole area is very old with lovely old stone buildings and there is a lot to look at.  The Princes Garden is another 1/2 mile or so down a hill and ,of course, back up again.  Greyfriars Bobby's Bar and the National Museum are 1/2 mile in the other direction as is the little restaurant where J.K. Rowlings wrote Harry Potter.  Arthur's Seat is over 2 miles.  And don't forget the castle.  You can get a ticket and go inside.  Very interesting and beautiful views.

As I recall, the Tattoo is in August.  During that month they also have what's called The Fringe going on.  This is an arts festival with performances everywhere you look.  In theaters, in the streets, everywhere.  The town was crazy crowded.  Very difficult to find a place to eat, or even sit down.  But, also crazy fun and entertaining.

It really depends on what you are interested in, but I personally would spend more than a couple of hours.  Just my 2 cents.