Hilton by Quebec City?

CanICruiseSoonPlease

The Hilton Québec (considered one of the top hotels in the city) is located in Upper Town, adjacent to the convention centre and just outside the old city walls. While not right at the port area, it's still quite convenient for both the port and for any pre-cruise touring you might want to do.

5 hours ago, Twickenham said:

The Hilton Québec (considered one of the top hotels in the city) is located in Upper Town, adjacent to the convention centre and just outside the old city walls. While not right at the port area, it's still quite convenient for both the port and for any pre-cruise touring you might want to do.

How far from the airport?

5 hours ago, Host Carolyn said:

The Hilton is about 30 minutes from airport with traffic... always stay in the old city Upper Town which is about same distance. There are some wonderful small hotels within the walled city and of course the Frontenac

Carolyn, we’ll be spending several days in QC after a cruise in September. Is there a reason to stay in the Upper Town v. the Lower?  And can you recommend some of those wonderful small hotels you mentioned?

Thanks! 

11 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

Carolyn, we’ll be spending several days in QC after a cruise in September. Is there a reason to stay in the Upper Town v. the Lower?  And can you recommend some of those wonderful small hotels you mentioned?

Thanks! 

I've done a lot of research for my upcoming October pre-cruise and have decided on (see my post #3).

We usually stay at the Chateau de Pierre but have also stayed at -- or have friends who have stayed at  -- Auberge Place de Armes, Auberge St Louis, Hotel le Priori.  I always stay in Upper Town, just like it there, lots of small restaurants, beautiful view of seaway etc.  But we always spend some time in Lower Town antiquing, sightseeing and for at least one meal.  It's a delightful city!

On 1/22/2019 at 6:21 PM, Ashland said:

Sorry to hijack but would really like your opinion on this hotel and location for our pre-cruise in October.

Auberge Place d' Armes.

Being a local I've obviously never stayed there, but I do love the location... Right in the heart of Upper Town. Note that the street right in front is pedestrian, so you will have to walk a few feet from your taxi to the door, but it's not too bad.

As for the Upper Town/Lower Town debate, I would tend to favour Upper Town myself... of course there is some nice things to see in Lower Town as well (much better than it used to be, apparently when my mother moved here 50 years ago it was slums, but now it's quite gentrified) and you can walk to the cruise terminal from many of the small hotels there, but it's just a short taxi from anywhere in Upper Town so that shouldn't be a major consideration. One thing that is great to do when in Upper Town is walk over to the Dufferin terrace when there's a ship in Wharf 22 - there's a perfect view of the ship from there.

1 hour ago, Twickenham said:

Being a local I've obviously never stayed there, but I do love the location... Right in the heart of Upper Town. Note that the street right in front is pedestrian, so you will have to walk a few feet from your taxi to the door, but it's not too bad.

As for the Upper Town/Lower Town debate, I would tend to favour Upper Town myself... of course there is some nice things to see in Lower Town as well (much better than it used to be, apparently when my mother moved here 50 years ago it was slums, but now it's quite gentrified) and you can walk to the cruise terminal from many of the small hotels there, but it's just a short taxi from anywhere in Upper Town so that shouldn't be a major consideration. One thing that is great to do when in Upper Town is walk over to the Dufferin terrace when there's a ship in Wharf 22 - there's a perfect view of the ship from there.

Thank you so much for responding...I was hoping you would....We started off considering the Hilton then Hotel 71 then Auberge Saint Antoine and have finally booked Auberge Place d' Armes...such decisions.

Also have read about eating at Buffet De L'Antiquaire...any experience there and an idea of how far it is from our hotel?

Again many thanks for your input very much appreciated always.

Thank you so much for the advice on the other hotels.  But getting back to the Hilton brand property.  I have so many points so I can stay for free. Is the hotel  close to anything or I am just basically in a hotel that is by nothing?  Then I will have to reconsider.

Edited by CanICruiseSoonPlease

10 hours ago, CanICruiseSoonPlease said:

Thank you so much for the advice on the other hotels.  But getting back to the Hilton brand property.  I have so many points so I can stay for free. Is the hotel  close to anything or I am just basically in a hotel that is by nothing?  Then I will have to reconsider.

You are fine with the Hilton. It’s in the Upper Town just outside the walls and well situated beside the National Assembly building. Certainly you should use your points to stay there. 

On 1/25/2019 at 7:09 AM, CanICruiseSoonPlease said:

As laverendrye stated, the Hilton is very well situated, just outside the walls and with lots within easy walking distance. Getting to the cruise terminal will be a short taxi ride. On the other hand...

2 hours ago, CanICruiseSoonPlease said:

Another Hilton Brand hotel question....how far is Hampton Inn and Suites Quebec City/Saint-Romuald.....1176, rue de Courchevel, Levis QC from the airport or cruise port?  How is the area?   Anything to do around there?  

The Hampton Inn is the other side of the river, near the bridges and in a big box store shopping area, miles from anything of interest to a tourist (unless you really want to see inside a Quebec Costco :classic_biggrin:). It's only really an option if you have a car and are driving to Quebec City; if you're flying, stick with the Hilton.

2 hours ago, CanICruiseSoonPlease said:

Another Hilton Brand hotel question....how far is Hampton Inn and Suites Quebec City/Saint-Romuald.....1176, rue de Courchevel, Levis QC from the airport or cruise port?  How is the area?   Anything to do around there?  

You definitely do not want to be there.  It's on the south side of the river near the Québec and Pierre Laporte Bridges, way to the west. It's nowhere near the cruise port.  The only advantage is that it is convenient to the airport by expressway, but that's no reason to stay there.

48 minutes ago, CanICruiseSoonPlease said:

My flight is quite late,  so just going to sleep, not tour. It would be great to be close to the airport.  I have an overnight in Quebec City, so that will be my touring time.  Is the area safe by the Hampton?

It's convenient to the airport because it's a straight shot by highway - but it's not close by any means. You'll end up paying a fortune in taxi costs most likely. OTOH, the Hilton has river views from its top floors - you will probably be able to see your ship from up there.

As a points collector myself (Marriott in my case), I understand the attraction of the lower-point options, but in this case, I'd just bite the bullet and go with the Hilton.