VISA, AMEX, CAD or US $$

masterdrago

We'll be spending a bit of our time in Canada while doing a cruise and DIY land tour. Mostly just short tour and taxi in Vancouver and lunch and short time in Yukon. I've traveled extensively in Mexico and a few Caribbean cruise destinations and have found all take U.S. dollars. What have others found while in Canada? I did notice some online excursion purchases included a Canadian currency conversion fee. Our rent car in Vancouver has the confirmation in US $$. Wondering if pay there for taxi, do they take US $$?

We use a credit card (with no foreign conversion charges) for hotels, restaurants, and taxis.  We also get a small amount of Canadian currency from a bank ATM for 'walk around' money and replenish as necessary if we are spending more time or visiting more than one place.

Edited by capriccio

Taxis all have credit card machines. The usual scam of 'my machine is broken' happens sometimes of course, so do warn the driver before you get in the cab that you plan to pay with Visa/MC (not all cabs take Amex, and Discover is pretty much a non-starter up here). USD cash will be gleefully accepted at a terrible exchange rate too. Most touristy stores around Vancouver take USD - even Tim Hortons has a US exchange rate at the checkouts (one of the best actually).

So for small change items I'd just keep it simple, break a US$20 at Timmies for a Double-Double and some TimBits, receive your change in CAD, then use that for small things like snacks, bottle of water, cash tips. You can usually pay with credit for anything $5+ up here, as we are much more European on the Debit/Credit use compared to the US - we have even begun to see a few 'plastic only' establishments who do not accept cash at all even in local currency.

NB: if your DEBIT card allows a free withdrawal, then I agree with Capriccio - hit an ATM. But the typical ATM fees for a foreign transaction outweigh the better exchange rate unless you are taking out $100+ and in today's Vancouver you will almost never face a 'cash only' situation. Even transit has now become card-friendly, as tapping any of the 'pay wave/tap & go' Visa/MC cards on the sensors of SkyTrain or buses buys your ticket.

I'm going to send an email to our tour vendor that is taking us into the Yukon about CAD or US $$ taken at eatery in Carcross. As it turns out, we should not need any cash while in Vancouver for a short time. I think I may be able to pick up some CAD from my local bank b4 the trip. Not sure.