Escape Specialty Dining Reservations

iloveislands24

We are taking a cruise on the Escape in early March - 35 days until we sail!  All the recommendations I have been reading suggest booking dining ahead of time.  We just booked 2 weeks ago, and for the first week or so there was an issue in the system where we couldn't book for a party larger than 1. That has been resolved, but unfortunately the options are extremely limited, and of course we were hoping to go to Cagney's which is so popular.  This is the first "mega-ship" we have been on, and our second cruise ever, with the first one on NCL Gem last year.

At this point the only options for 2 people are at 9 or 9:30.  We were really hoping for something in the 6-8pm range - I know this is more popular.  If I were to book with a larger size party, like 4 people, I could book for a better time - I saw someone recommend doing this and then lowering the number of people to 2 once onboard, but is it really a good idea?  If we wait until we board the ship, is there any chance of getting a Cagney's reservation?  Unfortunately we won't be boarding too early, we took the free air perk with NCL and our flight gets into LaGuardia at 10:35 a.m.  So it might be later until we get on board.  Is booking a larger party size, or taking a 9:30 reservation for 2 people, ahead online our only shot!?

Thanks in advance for any insight!

10 hours ago, iloveislands24 said:

We are taking a cruise on the Escape in early March - 35 days until we sail!  All the recommendations I have been reading suggest booking dining ahead of time.  We just booked 2 weeks ago, and for the first week or so there was an issue in the system where we couldn't book for a party larger than 1. That has been resolved, but unfortunately the options are extremely limited, and of course we were hoping to go to Cagney's which is so popular.  This is the first "mega-ship" we have been on, and our second cruise ever, with the first one on NCL Gem last year.

At this point the only options for 2 people are at 9 or 9:30.  We were really hoping for something in the 6-8pm range - I know this is more popular.  If I were to book with a larger size party, like 4 people, I could book for a better time - I saw someone recommend doing this and then lowering the number of people to 2 once onboard, but is it really a good idea?  If we wait until we board the ship, is there any chance of getting a Cagney's reservation?  Unfortunately we won't be boarding too early, we took the free air perk with NCL and our flight gets into LaGuardia at 10:35 a.m.  So it might be later until we get on board.  Is booking a larger party size, or taking a 9:30 reservation for 2 people, ahead online our only shot!?

Thanks in advance for any insight!

No. But make dining reservations a priority when you embark. You can use the touch screen kiosks outside of elevator lobbies or head to Headliners on Deck 6 Midship to make reservations (there be a line there so self booking is always fastest). They hold tables for onboard booking. But,,, popular restaurants at prime time will sell out. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, iloveislands24 said:

Thank you all so much for your responses!  Good tip on using the kiosks near the elevators, hopefully those would be a shorter line and more likely to get a decent time.  We will do this first thing after boarding!

Sharing a tip I learned on these boards - try to book while you are waiting to board the ship!  I went on Escape out of NYC in September. While sitting in the terminal waiting to board (had a high boarding group number), my phone connected to the ship's WiFi and once logged in I was able to use the iConcierge app to make restaurant reservations!

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, TexasCruiser84 said:

Sharing a tip I learned on these boards - try to book while you are waiting to board the ship!  I went on Escape out of NYC in September. While sitting in the terminal waiting to board (had a high boarding group number), my phone connected to the ship's WiFi and once logged in I was able to use the iConcierge app to make restaurant reservations!

That's an awesome tip! I will definitely make a reminder to give that a try. We are sailing out of NYC on the Escape so hopefully that will work for us too. Thanks so much!!

Download & install the new "Norwegian" App (iOS or Android) before getting to the pier, connect to ship's free WiFi INTRAnet (it might be easier switching on Airplane Mode first, then enable WiFi ... settings/how to varied by devices, it's time to learn the "how to") - and, you can book MDR as well as Specialty before stepping foot on the gangway.  We just got back from our 2 week Escape, there're PLENTY of availability and easy DIY, no need to stand in line for this - some prime days/time slots will be taken/blocked - go with what's shown as available.  

The App's function has improved & similar to a PDA, your booked items are listed by days & shown - you just cannot cancel it.  Dining no shows are released after a 15 minutes hold by the host/ess for walk-ups.  I remember checking Teppanyaki on Day 3, and it was still available for varied party sizes for the rest of our remaining 10 days, just be flexible on your "preferred" time slots. 

7 hours ago, mking8288 said:

Download & install the new "Norwegian" App (iOS or Android) before getting to the pier, connect to ship's free WiFi INTRAnet (it might be easier switching on Airplane Mode first, then enable WiFi ... settings/how to varied by devices, it's time to learn the "how to") - and, you can book MDR as well as Specialty before stepping foot on the gangway.  We just got back from our 2 week Escape, there're PLENTY of availability and easy DIY, no need to stand in line for this - some prime days/time slots will be taken/blocked - go with what's shown as available.  

The App's function has improved & similar to a PDA, your booked items are listed by days & shown - you just cannot cancel it.  Dining no shows are released after a 15 minutes hold by the host/ess for walk-ups.  I remember checking Teppanyaki on Day 3, and it was still available for varied party sizes for the rest of our remaining 10 days, just be flexible on your "preferred" time slots. 

Thanks so much for sharing your experience! So glad to have received this tip, I think it will be really helpful. Glad to hear the app has improved as well.

@don24 unless you are sailing soon on one of the older NCL ships that hasn't converted/upgraded to support the newest "Norwegian" App, the iConcierge app is outdated & no longer used by most shops (and it's not the same)

They are easily found in Play Store for iOS & Android to download, install - you can even activate & use it before leaving. some of the functions & extra (paid/free) options won't be enabled or seen until you are on the ship's WiFI inTRAnet.  

1 hour ago, mking8288 said:

@don24 unless you are sailing soon on one of the older NCL ships that hasn't converted/upgraded to support the newest "Norwegian" App, the iConcierge app is outdated & no longer used by most shops (and it's not the same)

They are easily found in Play Store for iOS & Android to download, install - you can even activate & use it before leaving. some of the functions & extra (paid/free) options won't be enabled or seen until you are on the ship's WiFI inTRAnet.  

Ok, I'm on the escape in a month. I downloaded the Norwegian app that seems like an extension of the desk top site. Is This what I use onboard. Please and thank you.

2 hours ago, mking8288 said:

@don24 - short answer, yes.  You used your desktop account's log-on to access, your booking/reservation will appear, etc.  I've used both Apps and found the latest revision to be much improved in functionality, even compared to last year.  

again, thank you. if I'm understanding correctly the app acts like the web page until I access the ships intranet. at that time other options will appear for use onboard.

I called today for the exact same issue and 2 reps told me to book a table for 4 for the times I wanted and then to adjust the table size back down to 2 BEFORE my reservation once on board.  We also have free air and I know we won't be on board until 1, so I wanted to make sure we had our Cagney's reservation (must have shrimp cocktail!)  They both said as long as I adjust BEFORE my reservation time we won't be charged for the extra seats.

On 1/28/2019 at 12:47 PM, iloveislands24 said:

That's an awesome tip! I will definitely make a reminder to give that a try. We are sailing out of NYC on the Escape so hopefully that will work for us too. Thanks so much!!

It is now the NCL app Iconcierge in no longer a thing

3 hours ago, Adian80 said:

I called today for the exact same issue and 2 reps told me to book a table for 4 for the times I wanted and then to adjust the table size back down to 2 BEFORE my reservation once on board.  We also have free air and I know we won't be on board until 1, so I wanted to make sure we had our Cagney's reservation (must have shrimp cocktail!)  They both said as long as I adjust BEFORE my reservation time we won't be charged for the extra seats.

Thanks for sharing.  I checked and at this point, even a table for 4 doesn't have good times. So I'm planning to try to use the app while we wait to board the ship and see how that goes!  Good luck to you, hope it works out well.