Abu Dhabi Hotels - suggested areas

SFCAcruiser

We are searching for a hotel for a three-night stay in Abu Dhabi prior to a cruise. There are many hotels from which to chose but we have no idea as to which area to focus our attention, and would like to read any suggestions.

We are going to be "typical tourists" and would be looking for an upscale, but not luxurious, hotel in the price range <US$150. We have found numerous hotels that are 4 and 5* in this price category and they are all in different areas. Due to travel logistics, we will likely have no more than 1-1/2 to 2 days for sightseeing.

Location preferences are that the hotel be generally well-located (via taxi) for the usual tourist sites, near convenience stores,  and not isolated in a remote resort area. We are not beach people, but a beach location would be OK if it is not isolated. On a previous trip, we visited the big malls in Dubai and have no particular interest in these malls in Abu Dhabi so there is no specific need to be near them.

Are there any areas of Abu Dhabi that strike experienced travelers as being a good fit for us? 

Thanks for your suggestions. 

We were in AD at the start of January. We stayed at the Holiday Inn Downtown in Abu Dhabi. It was fine (nothing special, but absolutely fine). If you don’t want to venture out the restaurant in the evening was ok (a la carte or buffet option). About a 20min walk to the nearest hoho bus stop at World Trade centre mall and its about the same time to the nearest bit of the Corniche. There is also a great little laundry 50 yds from the hotel (which they don’t tell you about!); most things were 5AED wash and press. There are several supermarkets in the area. There is always a taxi or two outside the door...20AED to the cruise terminal, though beware of luggage space. Nearly all taxis run on LNG and have the tank in the boot (trunk) which limits space. We had 2 large and 2 small carry on sized cases and one of the large ones had to go in the passenger seat by the driver.

Simon

3 hours ago, sddsddean said:

We were in AD at the start of January. We stayed at the Holiday Inn Downtown in Abu Dhabi. It was fine (nothing special, but absolutely fine). If you don’t want to venture out the restaurant in the evening was ok (a la carte or buffet option). About a 20min walk to the nearest hoho bus stop at World Trade centre mall and its about the same time to the nearest bit of the Corniche. ...

Thank you. That part of AD has an abundance of nice hotels at reasonable prices, so I have been looking there. It seems to be the central business district, so I was uncertain as to whether this area would have any type of "charm" for a tourist. It may be the most logical choice of areas since we will not be in AD for more than few days. 

2 hours ago, texancruzer said:

We are staying at the Jumeirah Etihad towers.  A bit over your range (@200.00) but right in the "sweet spot"  Not sure when you are going - we will be there 3 nights March 15-16-17.   I will post our experience .....

We will be there one month after you, (and one month hotter). Please do let us know how you liked this hotel. The online reviews have been way beyond good, and location might be appealing. I will keep this place in mind. Thank you

Edited by SFCAcruiser
typo

7 hours ago, SFCAcruiser said:

Thank you. That part of AD has an abundance of nice hotels at reasonable prices, so I have been looking there. It seems to be the central business district, so I was uncertain as to whether this area would have any type of "charm" for a tourist. It may be the most logical choice of areas since we will not be in AD for more than few days. 

I think if you are looking for ‘charm’ you will probably have to go to one of the hotels nearer to the Corniche. They are more ‘touristy’ and thus more expensive. The HI was perfectly adequate, but didn’t have any charm!

Simon

50 minutes ago, sddsddean said:

I think if you are looking for ‘charm’ you will probably have to go to one of the hotels nearer to the Corniche. They are more ‘touristy’ and thus more expensive. The HI was perfectly adequate, but didn’t have any charm!

Simon

Simon is correct, if you prefer to be 'downtown' as opposed to the out of town locations like Yas Island or Qaryat al Bari (out by the Maqta Bridge on the way to the airport) then the Corniche area with open sea views, etc. probably has more 'charm'...

Anne..