VPN in China

EAGLESLOVER

On 2/3/2019 at 12:28 PM, Betty in Cozumel said:

So without VPN, what do you get exactly on the internet?

I assume I will not have access to my e-mail (Gmail), Google Calendar, maps.google, Facebook, WhatsApp, etc.

Thanks

Betty

The Great Firewall blocks out about 80-90% of websites outside of China.  The remaining are monitored and anything they don't like the content is blocked.

Without a VPN those services you mentioned will be blocked.   And it isn't just any VPN will work, you need a service that constantly poking for holes.  Your VPN of choice may work fine today, but by the end of the week, it's plugged.    

Edited by Philob
  • Thanks 1

On 1/29/2019 at 8:46 AM, Hoyaheel said:

Yes, every time. But I've been in China for work, with leisure added on. Used Cisco VPN, through work.

Major western companies have an "arrangement" with Beijing.  I know the major hotel chains like Hilton, Sheraton have their own VPN to keep their reservations systems updated, likewise all the airlines.

Cisco is big enough and your IT security folks probably don't want you outside of their VPN anyway.

• Thanks 1

Yes, on one trip my husband came and we did tourist stuff in Shanghai, stayed at Hyatt on the Bund and he was able to use a few websites without the VPN, so sometimes it works out for guests in western hotels as well. But no guarantees, cause that's the Great Firewall 😉

• Thanks 1

We will use the ship's (Regent Mariner) wifi when onboard....primarily to check email...and assuming that their satellite connection will not be subject to China's firewall.  Correct?

While off the ship, we will have a cellular data connection on our iPhones through Verizon.  Assuming that this will require a VPN connection.  Correct?

3 hours ago, mikenbob said:

We will use the ship's (Regent Mariner) wifi when onboard....primarily to check email...and assuming that their satellite connection will not be subject to China's firewall.  Correct?

While off the ship, we will have a cellular data connection on our iPhones through Verizon.  Assuming that this will require a VPN connection.  Correct?

Wifi on board should be fine using the ship's satellite equipment.  

Depending on your plan with Verizon, emails & texts should be no issue unless you use Gmail.  I could access Gmail when I arrive and a day or so later...door slam.   AOL & Yahoo! was always available to me.     I know some folks use their work email account and have no issues, but I'm sure their IT security will.  

BTW you may see signs for FREE WiFi!   Don't indulge, you have to provide your mobile phone number and confirm the text they send you.  From then on  you'll be getting spam texts for the next 10,000 years :classic_cool: 

Edited by Philob