Photo Review of Ruby Princess to Mexican Riviera 01/19/2019

Bostonjetset

Really enjoyed your review with pictures. We will be on the Ruby Princess come March 24th to Hawaii and also on the Royal Princess doing your same itinerary to the Mexican Riviera during Halloween. I was interested in what you did in Cabo by taking the glass bottom boat to the arches and then Medano Beach.  I liked that you said it was only a 25 minute walk back to the tender port area . We plan to do the same thing, so thanks for the info.

Cheers - Ken & Darlene

Bostonjet,

We'll be on the Emerald Princess on the same itinerary in two week so your thoughtful and fair review is most timely.  I had been on the fence about SHARE despite loving Curtis Stone's fish stew -- only times I have asked for seconds on a cruise ship.  After looking at your photos, we'll give it a try.  Your positive outlook is contagious!

7 hours ago, victory2020 said:

Bostonjetset, we were on this cruise also. I noticed you have also done NCL Sky to Cuba twice. We've also done that itinerary twice, & am going back next March. Wondered what your impression of the Sky was.

Thanks for reading!!  I love Havana and would not hesitate to sail there on the Sky again. I actually really enjoyed the Sky but it cannot compare to Princess in terms of food or elegance.  I did similar reviews of both trips on the Sky so you should be able to find them on the NCL board if you are interested in reading them. 

5 hours ago, 2363 said:

Hi,

Thank you for this review, especially the Share menu photo.  I'll be on this cruise next week and I'll be sure to eat at Share at least one night.

My question if you remember,  what time did you arrive in Cabo?  Were you a little early? Right on time?  We are scheduled to arrive at 1pm on my cruise and I really want to participate in a non ship excursion that starts at 1:30 pm. The tour operator told me he can wait till 1:45 for me to arrive, but no later.

If you remember, thank you for your response. 

Alex

Thanks for reading! Do enjoy your meal at SHARE. I’m not certain if we arrived early in Cabo but we were scheduled for 11am and I’m pretty certain we were not late. 

5 hours ago, Kenosha Cruiser said:

Really enjoyed your review with pictures. We will be on the Ruby Princess come March 24th to Hawaii and also on the Royal Princess doing your same itinerary to the Mexican Riviera during Halloween. I was interested in what you did in Cabo by taking the glass bottom boat to the arches and then Medano Beach.  I liked that you said it was only a 25 minute walk back to the tender port area . We plan to do the same thing, so thanks for the info.

Cheers - Ken & Darlene

Thanks for reading!!  I’m glad you enjoyed it. I’m also glad CC made it easier to post photos from a desktop. That’s about the o my thing I like better about the upgrade lol. 

5 hours ago, bonship said:

I'm loving reading your great review.  It is 20 below zero right now in Indiana where I live, and we are going on this same cruise this Saturday.  Thanks for the respite from the cold.  Can't wait for Saturday.

Thanks for reading!! Have a great time on Saturday. 

5 hours ago, GloriaF said:

Question about TV-- I had read TV were on wall across from bed, and on demand viewing.  Your pic looks like TV in same place in the corner on a shelf..???

TV was in the same place as before but it’s much bigger than the old ones and does have OnDemand. We had an inside stateroom though so that may have to do with the location. In a balcony stateroom it may very well be on the wall. Either way, there were a lot of movie options. 

5 hours ago, DavyJoneses said:

Enjoying the photos.

Thanks!  

4 hours ago, TravelingEA said:

Thanks for the review. We will go from the frozen Midwest on Friday to board the Ruby on Saturday. 

Thanks for reading and enjoy your cruise. I’ve heard about the frozen Midwest on the news lately. I can handle cold but that is too much even for me haha. Stay warm. 

4 hours ago, PattiDee said:

Great review, on board this Saturday.  Absolutly can't wait. Ruby is my favorite ship. I can't remember if it's out 3rd or 4th time.  The thermal spa is fantastic. Puctures were great. 

Thanks for reading!  

3 hours ago, Dididi said:

Bostonjet,

We'll be on the Emerald Princess on the same itinerary in two week so your thoughtful and fair review is most timely.  I had been on the fence about SHARE despite loving Curtis Stone's fish stew -- only times I have asked for seconds on a cruise ship.  After looking at your photos, we'll give it a try.  Your positive outlook is contagious!

Oh please do try SHARE. I know many love Crown Grill but steakhouses are on every ship on every line just about. SHARE is a unique experience. Thanks for reading and enjoy the Emerald! 

1 hour ago, Cindy said:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and pictures! I will be on the Ruby this summer for the first time, and I’m excited...I’ve heard lots of good things about the ship!

Thanks for reading. Enjoy your cruise. The Ruby is a lovely ship indeed. 

Great review!  We are sailing on Ruby in March and are really looking forward to it.  We have also sailed NCL and Carnival.  Have found Princess to have the better food but it has been a while so glad to hear you experienced the same on your trip.  

I agree with you about Share. I thought it was excellent, the food & the service. Yes it’s too bad that Princess hasn’t put it on more ships. It would be my favorite speciality restaurant. Remember for Share you need to make a reservation ASAP to get the day & time you want. 

Do you know if UBER was available?

Thanks sooo much for your review & photos. I have also been on the Ruby & throughly enjoyed the ship & for me Share was like iceing on the cake. 

Tom😀

1 hour ago, Deesquared said:

Thanks for the review and photos!

Is the Ruby using Medallion technology yet?

Thanks for reading!  The only Medallion thing that was being used on our trip was the electronic door panels to access the staterooms.  However, we did not have an actual medallion but rather a normal key card.  I prefer to have a keycard so I'm hoping they don't get rid of them completely once the medallions are up and running.

32 minutes ago, YETI71 said:

Great review!  We are sailing on Ruby in March and are really looking forward to it.  We have also sailed NCL and Carnival.  Have found Princess to have the better food but it has been a while so glad to hear you experienced the same on your trip.  

Enjoy your cruise!! 

30 minutes ago, trbarton said:

I agree with you about Share. I thought it was excellent, the food & the service. Yes it’s too bad that Princess hasn’t put it on more ships. It would be my favorite speciality restaurant. Remember for Share you need to make a reservation ASAP to get the day & time you want. 

Do you know if UBER was available?

Thanks sooo much for your review & photos. I have also been on the Ruby & throughly enjoyed the ship & for me Share was like iceing on the cake. 

Tom😀

Thanks for reading.  I'm glad you enjoyed it and am happy to find another fan of SHARE.  You asked about Uber but I'm not sure where you are referring to??  We used it between LAX & Queen Mary [$33], Queen Mary & San Pedro [$14], and again between San Pedro & LAX [$44].  We did not use it at all in Mexico though I had used it extensively last November on a land trip to Mexico City.  Some of my drivers in CDMX said that each state [and often individual city] has their own regs on Uber.  For instance, I don't believe it is available in Cancun though it may be in other coastal cities.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Bostonjetset said:

Thanks for reading!  The only Medallion thing that was being used on our trip was the electronic door panels to access the staterooms.  However, we did not have an actual medallion but rather a normal key card.  I prefer to have a keycard so I'm hoping they don't get rid of them completely once the medallions are up and running.

Enjoy your cruise!! 

Thanks for reading.  I'm glad you enjoyed it and am happy to find another fan of SHARE.  You asked about Uber but I'm not sure where you are referring to??  We used it between LAX & Queen Mary [$33], Queen Mary & San Pedro [$14], and again between San Pedro & LAX [$44].  We did not use it at all in Mexico though I had used it extensively last November on a land trip to Mexico City.  Some of my drivers in CDMX said that each state [and often individual city] has their own regs on Uber.  For instance, I don't believe it is available in Cancun though it may be in other coastal cities.

Yes...I was referring to Mexico about UBER. I’m on a Majestic cruise in March & want to use UBER since it’s a flat fare rather the ticking of the cab meter. 

Thanks!

Tom😀

14 minutes ago, trbarton said:

Yes...I was referring to Mexico about UBER. I’m on a Majestic cruise in March & want to use UBER since it’s a flat fare rather the ticking of the cab meter. 

Thanks!

Tom😀

Most of the taxis in Mexican Riviera ports are not on a meter; they are agreed about flat rates before the trip.  I am not usually a big fan of that myself but we only went very short distances by cab on this trip so it was fine. 

Thank you for your review. We have been on the Ruby twice already, and will be again the end of March headed for Hawaii. We’ve been to Share a few times, thanks for showing the menu. Most of it is completely different from our last times there.  And we actually did this cruise last year, great trip. 

18 minutes ago, nana&papagotosea said:

Thank you for your review. We have been on the Ruby twice already, and will be again the end of March headed for Hawaii. We’ve been to Share a few times, thanks for showing the menu. Most of it is completely different from our last times there.  And we actually did this cruise last year, great trip. 

Thanks for reading!  Yes, I heard the menu at SHARE was recently revamped though someone mentioned that the duck leg confit was on the old menu as well [which was the best of the items IMO].  The Hawaii trip really interests me but it's long when one factors in flying to CA from the east coast.  I shall have to wait a couple years to do that itinerary.  Have a great cruise.

Thanks Bostonjetset for your wonderful review.  Were were also on that same sailing.  And, yes, the weather was wonderful. Apparently, the weather the previous week was not the best.  Loved your pictures. Thanks for the photo memories.   Agree with your remarks.  You nailed everything perfectly.  We found the food great in the dining room.  Ruby we were told is the first ship to get the new menu.   

We took a cab into Mazaltan to the Malecon and I actually did not see the blue line.  Nor did I see any volunteers near the cruise ship at all.  I did however see two police jeeps, each with an officer holding a rifle at the ready as we drove in the cab.  A little scary and this was not far from the pier.  Again, I saw no volunteers near the cruise port.  There were plenty of them downtown however.     

In Cabo, we took a water taxi out to get pics of  the Arch, sea lions, Lover's Beach, (took about 45 minutes) and it cost us $10 US per person. (there were only two of us) in the water taxi boat. Wore life jackets.  The guy started with $30 per person.   

Then we took local bus into downtown for $13 peso each.  Under a buck each and then walked along the marina back (20 minutes).  Lovely. 

Did you see the Attessa IV yacht in the marina at Cabo.  $150 million dollar boat owned by Billionaire Kevin Washington.  It was also in the marina in Puerta Vallerta later in the week.    As Norwegian ship and Ruby were preparing to leave PV, occupants of the yacht, decided to play chicken with the ship on their seadoo, and police boat sent them back to the yacht.    Oh, the rich.  

The ship was in very good repair.   We cruised on her last year and she was failing.  Rust everywhere.  Now, nice new carpets, finishes updated, chairs, updated.  We would sail her again.  And out of San Pedro, wonderful again.    Again, thanks for your review.  It was spot on.

55 minutes ago, pink845 said:

We took a cab into Mazaltan to the Malecon and I actually did not see the blue line.  Nor did I see any volunteers near the cruise ship at all.  I did however see two police jeeps, each with an officer holding a rifle at the ready as we drove in the cab.  A little scary and this was not far from the pier.  Again, I saw no volunteers near the cruise port.  There were plenty of them downtown however.     

That is because the Sinaloa drug cartel is very active in Matzatlan.    Day and night.   There is a rival drug cartel trying to take control of area  from the Sinaloa drug cartel.   Murder, and kidnapping.  Even in popular tourist areas.

When I was there last month, I saw several military police pick ups with 50 cal. machine guns mounted in the bed.  With officers at the ready.  Patrolling the downtown area and the Malecon’.

King

Edited by Kingofcool1947

On 2/2/2019 at 4:14 PM, pink845 said:

Thanks Bostonjetset for your wonderful review.  Were were also on that same sailing.  And, yes, the weather was wonderful. Apparently, the weather the previous week was not the best.  Loved your pictures. Thanks for the photo memories.   Agree with your remarks.  You nailed everything perfectly.  We found the food great in the dining room.  Ruby we were told is the first ship to get the new menu.   

In Cabo, we took a water taxi out to get pics of  the Arch, sea lions, Lover's Beach, (took about 45 minutes) and it cost us $10 US per person. (there were only two of us) in the water taxi boat. Wore life jackets.  The guy started with $30 per person.   

Then we took local bus into downtown for $13 peso each.  Under a buck each and then walked along the marina back (20 minutes).  Lovely. 

Did you see the Attessa IV yacht in the marina at Cabo.  $150 million dollar boat owned by Billionaire Kevin Washington.  It was also in the marina in Puerta Vallerta later in the week.    As Norwegian ship and Ruby were preparing to leave PV, occupants of the yacht, decided to play chicken with the ship on their seadoo, and police boat sent them back to the yacht.    Oh, the rich.  

The ship was in very good repair.   We cruised on her last year and she was failing.  Rust everywhere.  Now, nice new carpets, finishes updated, chairs, updated.  We would sail her again.  And out of San Pedro, wonderful again.    Again, thanks for your review.  It was spot on.

I'm so glad you enjoyed the review, especially seeing that you were also on this sailing!  Thanks for reading. 

You got the water taxi for $10pp?!?!  That is the lowest I've heard of.  I know $20pp was slightly overpaying but I couldn't be bother with haggling but at $10 you must be a master negotiator!  Or was it after the first rushes of tourists when they would be more willing to drop the price just to make a sale?  The walk was actually very easy and quite lovely so if I return I would likely just walk to the beach since I've seen the Arch already [for our first time in Cabo I figured the Arch was a must and it really was cool to see].  Was the yacht of which you speak the one that had the helicopter on the back?  That one really stuck out to me.  Also, the black, modern looking one that came in as we were on the tender back to the ship was quite striking.

In Mazatlan, the blue line start across that main road right outside of the port gates.  When you pass through the marketplace and arrive at the area with the taxis, just cross the street and the line starts there.  There were volunteers stationed at the start of it and along main intersections.  The blue line does not go towards the Malecon though; we walked to the center of town and then the cathedral first.  After going back to the main plaza, you can walk down a side street that leads right to the Malecon...it's a straight shot.  I really liked Mazatlan a lot.  

Thanks again for reading my review!

On 2/2/2019 at 5:08 PM, Kingofcool1947 said:

That is because the Sinaloa drug cartel is very active in Matzatlan.    Day and night.   There is a rival drug cartel trying to take control of area  from the Sinaloa drug cartel.   Murder, and kidnapping.  Even in popular tourist areas.

When I was there last month, I saw several military police pick ups with 50 cal. machine guns mounted in the bed.  With officers at the ready.  Patrolling the downtown area and the Malecon’.

King

I do not know a whole lot about Mexican drug gangs though, whilst I do not doubt they exist, the risk towards tourists who stay on the beaten path [so to speak] is minimal.  If the situation were high risk, the cruise lines would stop calling at a port; it is important to be vigilant when travelling in ANY country [including the USA] but your post seems like it is trying to scare people.  Can things happen?  Of course.  Are they likely to?  I don't believe so.  I will point out that I felt completely safe on this cruise and in all ports of call.  I also spent a land-based trip in Mexico City and Guanajuato this past November and also felt completely safe in those cities.  In fact, as a gay man I felt much more comfortable in all Mexican cities than I have in some ports the Caribbean [Belize and Jamaica for example].

54 minutes ago, Bostonjetset said:

I do not know a whole lot about Mexican drug gangs though, whilst I do not doubt they exist, the risk towards tourists who stay on the beaten path [so to speak] is minimal.  If the situation were high risk, the cruise lines would stop calling at a port; it is important to be vigilant when travelling in ANY country [including the USA] but your post seems like it is trying to scare people.  Can things happen?  Of course.  Are they likely to?  I don't believe so.  I will point out that I felt completely safe on this cruise and in all ports of call.  I also spent a land-based trip in Mexico City and Guanajuato this past November and also felt completely safe in those cities.  

Sorry, you are wrong.  Not trying to scare anyone.  Just informational.

This article was recently in Condé Nast :

https://www.cheatsheet.com/culture/the-most-dangerous-cities-in-mexico-to-avoid-at-all-costs.html/

I’ve been cruising to Mexico (Mexican Riviera, and Mayan cruises) and land vacations, for at least 15 years without incident.  But,  my comment was to explain to the poster why you see highly visible Mexican armed police and military presence in popular tourist cities where cruise ships visit.

Enjoy your cruise.  And safe travels.

King

Edited by Kingofcool1947

19 hours ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

Sorry, you are wrong.  Not trying to scare anyone.  Just informational.

This article was recently in Condé Nast :

https://www.cheatsheet.com/culture/the-most-dangerous-cities-in-mexico-to-avoid-at-all-costs.html/

I’ve been cruising to Mexico (Mexican Riviera, and Mayan cruises) and land vacations, for at least 15 years without incident.  But,  my comment was to explain to the poster why you see highly visible Mexican armed police and military presence in popular tourist cities where cruise ships visit.

Enjoy your cruise.  And safe travels.

King

Thanks for clarifying.  I apologize if I jumped to conclusions; I'm sure you were only trying to help the poster and I took it out of context.  Thank you for reading my review.  :-)

10 hours ago, AF-1 said:

Great Review.  Pictures were beautiful and perfect for this review.  You have a special talent in telling a story.  I hope to read more reviews from you.  

Thank you for reading and for the lovely compliment.  I'm happy you enjoyed it.