contacting Dining

We tried that for our autistic daughter, who needs to be able to make a quick exit when Happy Birthday is sung (long story). Requested a table close to the exit, so she could get in and out easily. The only response we received was a canned response, and we were seated far from the exit. Luckily The Dreaded Song was never sung while we were in there, though she hedged her bets by leaving immediately after dessert, while my husband and I finished at a more leisurely pace. And our dining staff was wonderful.

Before anyone flames me for allowing her to "run wild", she is an adult, and manages independently on the ship just fine without causing any disruptions.

Just curious, if you are looking for conversation, why not sit at a larger table so you have table mates to talk to? My wife and I requested a table for two on one of our cruises because we wanted to dine alone and not worry about having conversations with other cruisers. Our table for two was very close to another table for two and the couple at that table felt obligated to try to have a conversation with us every night. I'm not trying to be rude but some people that are seated at a table for two don't WANT to have a conversation with others. Please consider this when trying to start a conversation with people sitting near you.

1 hour ago, motherof said:

We tried that for our autistic daughter, who needs to be able to make a quick exit when Happy Birthday is sung (long story). Requested a table close to the exit, so she could get in and out easily. The only response we received was a canned response, and we were seated far from the exit. Luckily The Dreaded Song was never sung while we were in there, though she hedged her bets by leaving immediately after dessert, while my husband and I finished at a more leisurely pace. And our dining staff was wonderful.

Before anyone flames me for allowing her to "run wild", she is an adult, and manages independently on the ship just fine without causing any disruptions.

In the future, contact special_needs@rccl.com

38 minutes ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

Just curious, if you are looking for conversation, why not sit at a larger table so you have table mates to talk to? My wife and I requested a table for two on one of our cruises because we wanted to dine alone and not worry about having conversations with other cruisers. Our table for two was very close to another table for two and the couple at that table felt obligated to try to have a conversation with us every night. I'm not trying to be rude but some people that are seated at a table for two don't WANT to have a conversation with others. Please consider this when trying to start a conversation with people sitting near you.

I was thinking this too - I've loved meeting new table mates but when it's just my husband and I for dinner we enjoy it being just the 2 of us if we've requested a 2 top and wouldn't enjoy conversation among surrounding tables unless they were brief as I also just don't find conversations between tables easy to have fluidly.

44 minutes ago, nelblu said:

In the future, contact special_needs@rccl.com

We did that on a previous cruise. And ended up at the next-to-the-last table - almost as far from the exit as it was possible to get. This time we were told to contact dining services. I wonder if the needs of autistic adults aren't taken as seriously as those of children.

On 1/29/2019 at 9:05 PM, Host Clarea said:

I believe this email is for traditional dining:  rcldining@rccl.com

That email works for MTD too.  We have used it several times to request our favourite server on the Freedom of the Seas for My Time Dining.

On 1/29/2019 at 8:05 PM, Host Clarea said:

I believe this email is for traditional dining:  rcldining@rccl.com

We used that for our Liberty cruise, and they took real good care of us. Got a table for 2 right next to a window with a great view.

We like a table for two as we eat early and like to go to the first show of the evening.

If you sit with others the meal tends to take longer than if it is just the two of us.

When we have breakfast or lunch in the dining room we always ask to share with others for conversations.

I am sensitive to the needs of those adjoining our table. If I initiate a conversation and notice that I get only a brief reply with no further conversation, I get the message, and do not engage again except for a brief good evening. However, more often than not, we have not found this to be the case.