Monsoon weather in northern Australia

Little Monty

I am aware a number of CC Forum members are looking forward to cruising Australia - Bali - Bangkok and beyond on the Orion over coming weeks.

Some time ago there was a discussion in this forum about the likely weather in northern Australia in January compared to the likely weather in March - and obviously every year is different and the weather is unpredictable and ever changing - but I thought those who are travelling this year (or thinking about next year or the year after) may be interested in the current weather pattern.

Northern Australia (especially Far North Queensland / Cairns / Great Barrier Reef areas) is currently under the influence of an intense monsoon system. Many areas have received more than 30 inches of rain over the past week and flooding is widespread. More rain (much more !) is predicted.  

The news report below may be of interest - hopefully the link works !

My hope for those of you who are on the Orion this year is the monsoon pattern will be long gone by the time you arrive and conditions will be perfect, but it is worth noting areas of north Queensland, Thursday Island across to Darwin and up towards Indonesia are hot and wet during our summer months.

You very likely already know all of this, but you do need to be prepared for very wet weather this time of the year (and likely into February, possibly into March ..but again I am no weather expert and every year is different). But back to my original point, as a general rule the weather in March will be better than January / February - but not every year 😁

Please also be aware .. following these monsoon events mosquitoes and malaria will be an increased risk, so please take precautions.

Please don't be alarmed and I hope I am not putting anybody off coming to visit us, but please do be aware of the possible weather patterns you may face and please be aware of some of the side effects (eg the mozzies).

As an aside, I just watched our evening news and saw the absolutely freezing conditions across much of USA and Canada and I wish those of you who are affected all the best in dealing with the cold - and in my eyes wet and warm is always better than wet and cold so please do come for a visit.

Please let me know if you need to clarify anything.

Regards, LM

https://www.cairnspost.com.au/news/cairns/cairns-weather-rainfall-totals-of-more-than-750mm-recorded-in-fnq-in-a-week/news-story/5e68832037057cafea03065684e77699

• Thanks 1

Thanks Monty, we are in Darwin next year on Feb 22nd, which is still the wet season. Hoping next year they get a little less rain. We get enough rain in Vancouver, so hoping for sunshine on the cruise.

Fortunately we don't get the same temperatures they are currently experiencing back East.