Caribbean Princess Drydock

voljeep

1 hour ago, rokwldr said:

These pictures are the Caribbean. In picture #4 there is a shot with Skywalkers in the background. Having been on both the Crown does not have a Skywalkers lounge.

Both ships have Skywalker's. Caribbean's is farther aft than Crown's. 

Edited by VaCruzers

17 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

It was not an "engine" problem, nor was it an azipod problem.  The Princess ships have traditional shafted propellers that are powered by electric motors inside the ship.  These motors have dual windings in them, so that two different power feeds from the main power bus can each feed half the power to the motor.  This redundancy allows for a failure of one of the motor windings, or of the variable frequency drives used to convert the 60Hz power generated by the diesel generators, to a variable frequency AC power to allow the electric propulsion motors to operate at variable speeds.  CP suffered the failure of one winding in one propulsion motor (so 1/4 of her propulsion power), and this winding needed to be replaced.  This was obviously done, as I thought it might be, while in the water, with just a large hole cut in the hull above the water line to get the winding out and in.  It was probably determined that even in a drydock, the clearance to the dock walls would be too close to accomplish this, so they decided to do it at a layberth, where they could slack the ship away from the dock as needed when lifting the large winding out and back in, not to mention the cost savings of layberth over drydock.

Thanks,Now that explains it. Frequency drives are used is a wide array of power equipment. A/C systems are one. Did not know about the dual windings. Also that's probably a lot of scrap copper!

8 minutes ago, rokwldr said:

Sea trials may last a couple of days. Then they will probably arrive at Pt. Everglades a day early to re provision the ship. See ya on board Tuesday May 14th.

we just added another day to our pre-cruise stay - now going down tomorrow instead of Monday

Happy Mothers Day to all ...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, rokwldr said:

If your'e staying in Ft. Lauderdale near the port or Dania Bch try a place called the Fish Grill you won't be  disapointed. It's in Dania Bch.

now 2 nights at the Hilton Marina ...

41 minutes ago, rokwldr said:

If your'e staying in Ft. Lauderdale near the port or Dania Bch try a place called the Fish Grill you won't be  disapointed. It's in Dania Bch.

Although this wasn’t directed to me, I saved it in my favorites so we can give it a try when we’re down that way in July. We too are staying at the Hilton Marina. I’m guessing it’s just a few dollar Lyft ride from the hotel. 

Thank you!!

1 hour ago, Ep010835 said:

Sounds like an, it works or it doesn't work sort of evaluation?

Pretty much.  They will operate at various loads to ensure it's all working.  It's newbuild sea trials that can take a few days, since they are testing everything on the ship, here they are just testing the one repaired propulsion motor.

• Like 1

At a nice clip too. 

Position Received: 2 hours, 30 minutes ago (2019-05-11 18:30 (UTC))
Vessel's Local Time: 2019-05-11 13:30 (UTC -5)
Area: CARIBS - Caribbean Sea
Latitude / Longitude: 26.26533° / -79.36745°
Speed/Course: 18.3kn / 338°
AIS Source: 700 TowBoatU.S. Ft. Lauderdale

Read more at http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/details/ships/shipid:371152/mmsi:310423000/imo:9215490/vessel:CARIBBEAN_PRINCESS#WFrvSBYklE8rvDaV.99

4 hours ago, Ep010835 said:

Although this wasn’t directed to me, I saved it in my favorites so we can give it a try when we’re down that way in July. We too are staying at the Hilton Marina. I’m guessing it’s just a few dollar Lyft ride from the hotel. 

Thank you!!

you could walk there--its so close

6 hours ago, Ep010835 said:

Thank you!!

About ten minutes away.

MarineTraffic still has her listed at sea trials. Possibly if all is well she will proceed to Pt. Everglades. They don't want to be there any longer than they have to cause of expense. Maybe 12 to 24 hours ahead to re provision the ship. On MT website go to the CP and click on the ship and when the page comes up scroll down to where it says past track and there you can see all the maneuvers they have done today.

2 hours ago, rokwldr said:

MarineTraffic still has her listed at sea trials. Possibly if all is well she will proceed to Pt. Everglades. They don't want to be there any longer than they have to cause of expense. Maybe 12 to 24 hours ahead to re provision the ship. On MT website go to the CP and click on the ship and when the page comes up scroll down to where it says past track and there you can see all the maneuvers they have done today.

The AIS feed used by sites like Marinetraffic rely on AIS inputs by the navigating officer for things like destination, status (anchored), and this is not always the most important thing the officer has to do, so sometimes it may be several hours out of date.  And her last position was over 6 hours ago, I suspect she is in the AIS hole between Jupiter FL and the Bahamas.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

The AIS feed used by sites like Marinetraffic rely on AIS inputs by the navigating officer for things like destination, status (anchored), and this is not always the most important thing the officer has to do, so sometimes it may be several hours out of date.  And her last position was over 6 hours ago, I suspect she is in the AIS hole between Jupiter FL and the Bahamas.

Chief, PLEASE don't ever leave this board. You are the one TRUE expert here. 

Thank you for your contributions. 

I have not been very excited about this cruise as the last few months have been rough.  This will be my first ever cruise without my mom. Feel like I came out of a fog this morning to realize I am going in vacation tomorrow.  Reading this thread has me excited now.  Thanks all. 

• 1 month later...

We were in a mini suite and the only upgrade was a new sleeper couch. The balcony was not to our liking . Way to open to the sun and not a bit of privacy. The room was nice and more spacious than a standard balcony.