Remembering INCRES - VICTORIA

Victoria was born as the Dunnottar Castle in 1936 by Harland and Wolff, for the Union Casle Line on the South Africa run, and was sold to Incres Lines in the 1958.  The Victoria was beloved by all who had the good fortune to sail on her.  I have a collection of menus and other memorabilia and I have to say they are spectacular.  It would be great to hear from anyone who sailed on her.  She was later sold to Chandris Line in 1975 and continued her cruising life for many more years.

Edited by CGTNORMANDIE

On 2/6/2019 at 5:25 PM, thekidsandi said:

I cruised on the Chandris Victoria in 1982 for my honeymoon. I recently found some pictures and other momentos from the ship. It brought back many memories, especially how motion sick I got the first night. Not a good way to start a honeymoon.

I should have titled this thread INCRES - CHANDRIS VICTORIA.  Aside from the seasickness...how did you like the Victoria?  I hope your honeymoon went smoothly after the first night...lol.  Funny...the same sea sickness thing happened to me on my first night at sea on my honeymoon.  🙂

• 3 months later...

The funny thing with the "Victoria" was when Chandris bought her 1975.

Chandris was interrested in the "Gripsholm" but got overbid by Karageorgis. They bid also for the "Victoria" and got her -

the aspect for bidding was - using only the furniture of the "Victoria" for following use for their other cruiseships and Chandris Leisurehotels in Greece - selling the rest for scrap!

After better inspection - they decide against this plans and put the "Victoria" in their cruise business for Chandris as

"The Victoria".

She ran for Chandris 19 years from 1975 until 1994 and following also for Louis Cruises additional remarkable 10 years

She was a real gem in the Chandris fleet!

The_Victoria_Katakolon_7_November_1991-1.jpg

The Victoria DP 1976.jpg

Thank you Scan,

I knew several people who sailed on her when she was owned by Incres and they all agreed she was one of the most comfortable and fun ships they were ever on.  One of my friends told me that they literally floated in Champagne for 11 days.  I have many menus and other pieces of memorabilia and it looked really nice.  

One odd thing about this ship (when cruising for Chandris Fantasy Cruises) was her name: The "The" in "The Victoria" was an official part of her name, so she was "MS The Victoria", sometimes referred to as The MS The Victoria.

We sailed on her out of San Juan in March 1987. 

87 Vic 005 The Victoria and Amerikanis at San Juan

59 minutes ago, snaebyllej said:

One odd thing about this ship (when cruising for Chandris Fantasy Cruises) was her name: The "The" in "The Victoria" was an official part of her name, so she was "MS The Victoria", sometimes referred to as The MS The Victoria.

We sailed on her out of San Juan in March 1987. 

87 Vic 005 The Victoria and Amerikanis at San Juan

I guess it’s all Greek to me...lol.  The Victoria must have been due to the Greek translation.  Thanks so much for the picture.  I spotted the Amerikanis instantly.  We spent 10 glorious days on her way back in 1972.  

Incres Lines Victoria was one whose deck plans and itineraries in their brochures found very attractive, but could never match my availability with hers.  Maybe I am mistaken, but the experiences that guests received on some of these early cruise ships exceeded what is now offered in the 21st Century.

15 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Incres Lines Victoria was one whose deck plans and itineraries in their brochures found very attractive, but could never match my availability with hers.  Maybe I am mistaken, but the experiences that guests received on some of these early cruise ships exceeded what is now offered in the 21st Century.

That depends on what you value.  No buffet restaurant, just a small selection of lunch items in a bar.  No TV in your cabin, but a nice movie theater.  One of the nicest upper berths I've had, with a regular mattress.  A real promenade deck, but cheap, uncomfortable deck chairs.  Good food and service in the classic liner-style dining room, but (some) wobbly chairs.

87 Vic 085 Cabin on The Victoria

On 6/3/2019 at 7:56 PM, rkacruiser said:

Hi RKA,

You are not too far off the mark.  All the action was in the dining room...breakfast lunch and dinner.  However, there were deck buffets in the good weather.  Perhaps there was a limited selection but the quality was very good.  I have a menu from a midnight deck buffet on the Bremen from October 1971.  The selections included caviar, Maine lobster, roast ribs of beef, giant shrimps, smoked pork ribs and much much more.  Granted the ships of today are spectacular but the comfort, luxury and level of service of those old ships was better than most ships today.

• 2 months later...

this is part of my collection, it's an Incres Line Victoria Record Album, its not for sale, but curious to hear what you thought when see the photo of the record, hope hear back,  these are photos of the front and back of the album

ms_victoria_record_album_front_cover_by_wildelf34_dais0sm-pre.thumb.jpg.bb9362b1f172b257fc38ed00ee9f3b8f.jpg

1968_incres_line_record_back_cover_by_wildelf34_dairzx2-fullview.thumb.jpg.3054578a28bcc45941b8859802c5cab4.jpg

• 2 months later...