Roommate can’t go

Dave the Wine Guy

Weird comments on here!  Once you are in the 100% penalty period, which OP is, the second person's fare is already paid.  Carnival won't refund a dime to the person that cancels for the fare (taxes and any prepaid items generally are refunded).  Their insurance will pay them if they cancel for a covered reason, but that is totally separate from the issue of the cabin.  Cabin is already paid for.  OP will only pay gratuities for one person.

Have seen cases where third or fourth person in a cabin cancels and cruise line wants to move remaining two/three to a smaller cabin, potentially repricing it.  That's why a lot of folks recommend the person not sailing be a no-show. 

Have also seen comments that some insurance may balk at paying if you know you are not sailing in a lower penalty period (say just after final payment) and delay telling them until 100% penalty.  This would be in the insurance contract.

Now things are entirely different if the second person cancels BEFORE 100%.  In that case the single person left in the cabin will pay some kind of a single supplement (or insurance could cover this).  If the cancellation is prior to final payment the single person will probably pay the full fare of the person not sailing.

OP, strongly suggest you check the insurance board https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/499-cruisetravel-insurance/ , or better yet call the folks at insuremycruise or other brokers to explain the process.  

Or recruit someone else to sail with you and have them pay the person not sailing.  You can usually change one person in a cabin up to five days or so before sailing.  Some cruise lines charge a change fee for this.

On 2/5/2019 at 2:35 PM, ProgRockCruiser said:

@AdGuyMG: yeah, I understood that part, where Carnival charges the fare for Passenger 2 as a "penalty" or single supplement charge.

What I meant was, I have seen reports on this forum where not only did Carnival not refund anything when a traveler cancelled, but also charged an additional single supplement on top of that, meaning that Carnival got more than just two fares for the cabin!  So in your example, Passenger 2 does not get any kind of refund, and on top of that Passenger 1 get charged an additional $699, and Carnival gets $2097!

I am not sure if those reports were true/accurate, but I have read them.  Since I have never been in that situation, I cannot relate my own experience.

:shrug:

No, AdGuy is correct.  Triple pay doesn't happen .  Understand most folks are projecting what they think, not what they know.  People who don't sail solo also don't understand what we call the "solo supplement".  They think it is just a extra fee assessed to solos on top of cruise fares.

13 hours ago, rolloman said:

That wouldn't make sense....what if you missed the sailing on the day because of unforeseen circumstances? You certainly would be filing after the cruise had already set sail right?

You’re right. Sometimes the fingers don’t type what the mind is thinking. Guess I was replying thinking about the comment to wait until after the cruise ends to file (so the sailing passenger couldn’t be charged extra). I’m thinking you have to file for insurance “reasonably” soon after canceling. 

Hope I never find out for sure. 

The reason to cancel or no show depends on who is out the money.  If the same person is paying for both and they have cruise insurance, cancel and file for insurance.  If you didn't pay the fare for the no-show, you have them no-show and they can deal with the insurance and if they get denied, too bad. 

21 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

The reason to cancel or no show depends on who is out the money.  If the same person is paying for both and they have cruise insurance, cancel and file for insurance.  If you didn't pay the fare for the no-show, you have them no-show and they can deal with the insurance and if they get denied, too bad. 

You would tell them to no-show knowing that if they cancel they will have a better chance of getting an insurance payment?

6 minutes ago, 2wheelin said:

You would tell them to no-show knowing that if they cancel they will have a better chance of getting an insurance payment?

I would tell them to no-show so I would not have to pay for them not going.  Whether they get reimbursed, that would be their problem.

Edited by Elaine5715