Blue Lagoon Cruises in Fiji

RMS Olympic

Looking for some feedback on this line; still on my to do list.Has anyone sailed them lately and if so what was good and not so good?

Do you recommend any precruise hotel to stay at to get over the flight?

If Fiji a safe place to visit?

What is the best airline to fly on...AIr NewZealand, Quantas or Air Fiji?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Tom

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Looking for some feedback on this line; still on my to do list.Has anyone sailed them lately and if so what was good and not so good?

Tom

Hi. We cruised on-board the Mystique Princess from 05/01/06 - 08/01/06. Unfortunately, it was too short. We have 15 & 13 year old daughters who, like us, absolutely loved the cruise. We stayed for 8 disappointing nights at the Outrigger at Sigatoka first and would not recommend it but the cruise was fantastic. The best food, the best beaches, the best fun and the greatest crew ever. All ages on board from 3 years old to 70 - everyone had a great time. The little kids were entertained with games, videos, swimming, snorkelling, etc and the older kids just enjoyed the whole atmosphere. We thought Fiji as a whole was a lot different to what we expected, but we found it safe. Steer clear of markets as they don't take no for an answer but you'll see what we mean if you go. We flew Air Pacific and they were great. Free alcohol all the way and smooth flight. Wherever you stay, and a lot of people we met recommended the Naviti which was all inclusive for Australia, or the Shangri-la, buy "goodies" from the local supermarket like chips, nibblies, sof drinks and alcohol. Much cheaper than the resorts.

You will love Blue Lagoon however and we are going back this Christmas, that's how good it is.

Regards

SELWOOD

Tom

We sailed on the Mystic Princess back in May 2000. - Is remains our very favorite cruise of all time - only thing wrong was that it was too short !

We stayed at 4 different islands in Fiji in addition to the cruise - Fiji is just wonderful ! - Everyone is so friendly - the country is beautiful.

The snorkeling there was better than the Barrier Reef - the ship was

small - best service we've ever had on a cruise ship !

We stayed at the Sheridan in Nadi upon apprival as well as the day we had to leave -- it was like a jolt back to the "real world"

We flew non-stop from LA on Air Paciifc (used American Airlines FF miles) - the flight was absolutely great.

Let me know if you have specific questions - just telling you this little bit about it makes me want to go again !

Hi Ccliff5

We did a similar small ship cruise on the Barrier Reef a few years back and also large ship cruises. We realize the two experiences don't compare but wonder how your cabin compared and what, if any, the entertainment was like?

Thanks,

Andy

Hi Ccliff5

We did a similar small ship cruise on the Barrier Reef a few years back and also large ship cruises. We realize the two experiences don't compare but wonder how your cabin compared and what, if any, the entertainment was like?

Thanks,

Andy

Our cabin was wonderful !! - if I remember correctly - we had #3 -

King Bed - lots of closets/storage space - big room !

clean - nice bathroom (no balcony) would definitely favorably compare with an "oceanview category" room on Princess or Carnival ......

Entertainment was minimal - but fun - one night was "show your pride" (or something like that - passengers from each country (there were a total of 4 of us from the USA) were to get together and "perform" something that was symbolic of their country - (we ended singing Yankee Doodle Dandy) - the New Zealand group (the largest) did some kind of a soccer cheer/song !

(I promised myself that if I ever went back - I would bring a whole bunch of little american flags - to use as "props")

I think what we liked the best was the personal service (so few passengers - the crew really got to know you) - like the day 2 of the crew members led us to the best snorkel spots in the world ! - it was also very informal (not quite so much as a Windjammer cruise) - but very laid back....

And - of course the lush country-side and the georgeous water !

• 1 month later...

Looks like I am going to book for Sept next year. Should I consider Captain Cook Cruise Line at all or just go with Blue Lagoon?

I am going to guess the month of travel will not make much difference considering the location, but are there any down sides to a September trip?

Heres hoping there will be some Aussies on board...still the nicest people on the planet.

Tom

• 3 weeks later...

Just got my requested brochure from Blue lagoon Cruises.

Also chatted with the representative here in the states; she kindly answered many of my questions.

Since there are various vacation companies that package the cuise and air together, I guess it will be a while before I can put down a deposit for a Sept 2007 cruise....because its too early for air rates or bookings.

Now all I have to figure out is how long a pre-cruise stay I should plan on. Its either fly out of the states on a Tuesday and arrive Thursday (hotel stay till boarding on Monday) or fly Thursday , arrive Sat and have a hotel stay for 2 nights.

As a single traveler should I go for a big hotel for a precruise stay and is there enough to do for 4 days or go for the 2 night precruise stay. I am going to guess there are a number of tour choices while at the hotel...any suggestions?

One last question...if you disembark at noon on Sunday, what do you do till the flight out which is almost 11 pm in the evening.

Thanks for any help.

Tom

• 4 weeks later...
Just got my requested brochure from Blue lagoon Cruises.

Also chatted with the representative here in the states; she kindly answered many of my questions.

Since there are various vacation companies that package the cuise and air together, I guess it will be a while before I can put down a deposit for a Sept 2007 cruise....because its too early for air rates or bookings.

Now all I have to figure out is how long a pre-cruise stay I should plan on. Its either fly out of the states on a Tuesday and arrive Thursday (hotel stay till boarding on Monday) or fly Thursday , arrive Sat and have a hotel stay for 2 nights.

As a single traveler should I go for a big hotel for a precruise stay and is there enough to do for 4 days or go for the 2 night precruise stay. I am going to guess there are a number of tour choices while at the hotel...any suggestions?

One last question...if you disembark at noon on Sunday, what do you do till the flight out which is almost 11 pm in the evening.

Thanks for any help.

Tom

I would suggest for Fiji, definetely do not stay on the mainland, whatever you do. As the Fiji on the mainland, is not the beautiful Fiji you expect to see, with clear bluw waters and white sand beaches. Nadi, is not as nice and the beaches are horrible.

The Blue Lagoon cruise would be great, maybe you could pre cruise, have a stay on one of the island resorts. Definetely more beautiful! :)

Archived