Oslo excursions

snookie1

We will be on a Viking Ocean cruise to the fjords and Scandinavia in May.  I was looking at the excursions offered in Oslo and am interested in visiting several museums in Bygdoy.  The Viking excursion visits the Kon Tiki, the Viking Ship, and the Flam Museums.  We would also be interested in seeing the Folk Museum in the same area.  Is it possible or advisable to get the Oslo Pass for a day?  As seniors we would save 50% on the cost of the pass, and I believe all those museums would be included in that Pass.  That would save us considerable over the $139 cost of the excursion from Viking.  Would the pass also give us the ferry ride over there for free?  Any thoughts or advice?  Thank you in advance.

if you plan to visit all four, it’s generally cheaper with the Oslo Pass even without the senior discount.

However, I’ve only ever managed to make it to all four in the same day once, and my travel companions skipped the fourth due to museum fatigue. Unlucky for them, they missed the Fram, which is an unexpected gem. Since it’s right across the street from the Kon Tiki, is personally prioritize the Fram and visit it first, unless you’re a keen Heyerdahl fan. The Kon Tiki is a nice museum, but several of its displays involve extensive reading to get the full picture. That can be tiring after a full day.

If you’re on the May 21-22 Viking Sky call, you won’t be docking at the Akershus cruise terminal, as the berth is listed as Revierkaia, which is in the other side of the peninsula towards the opera house. That’s less convenient for catching the ferry, since you’d need to cross over to reach the ferry pier by the city hall. Not a long walk, but not as convenient as it is for most cruise visitors. Alternatively, you could take the bus #30 out, and ride the ferry back (The Oslo Pass also includes public transit). That’s actually a bit more convenient, since it’s a bit of a walk from the ferry to the Folk Museum. The #30 is temporarily relocated from the Jernbanetorget stop in front of the central station to Tollboden, which is on the side closest to your pier, less than 5 minutes’ walk away! So I’d recommend taking the bus out to the Folk Museum and Viking Ships, hopping back on to ride down to the Fram & Kon Tiki, and then taking advantage of the OsloPass pass to ride the ferry back to town.

FYI - If they’re not offering the Oslo Pass at the port (since you’re not at the usual terminal), you can pick one up at the Tourist Information in the historic Østbanehallen part of the central train station.

Several years ago my husband and I purchased a senior Oslo pass in the first tourist shop we passed on the pier after disembarking early at the Akershus pier.  We used it to  take the ferry to the Fram and Kon Tiki Museum as well as the Folk Museum (where we grabbed some lunch in their small cafe). Worn out, we returned by ferry to the ship, took a short nap and then used the pass to access the castle in late afternoon. This pass saved us a lot of time waiting in lines and money.

Thank you all so much.  Your information is very helpful.  It looks as if we will use the bus and the ferry, and maybe not attempt to do all 4 museums in one day.  But it sounds as if the Oslo Pass is the way to go.  Thank you!!