Using Carnival Hub App for texting

Cinnamon2

Can you still use the free Carnival Hub App for texting others who are on the ship with you if you are all using the App?  I know that now they offer the social media package for money but we really don't need that.  Myself and six other ladies are sailing on Carnival Magic next winter.  We each have our own cabin and they are spread over two decks.  It sure would be convenient if we could message each other on board for meeting times, places etc.

31 minutes ago, LuckyStar said:

Along this note, does this feature work well? 

I experienced issues with message being delayed.  I've sent a friend messages who will sometimes get the message a few minutes later.  This can be nuisance if you're trying to hurry someone up for an event that's starting.

Also, there's no ability to send pictures which I would like to do.

I'm on an Android phone.

1 hour ago, plettza said:

Also, there's no ability to send pictures which I would like to do.

Sorry, I have to laugh at this.

It is a texting app.

When images became possible in so-called text messaging functions on phones I was aghast.  True texting uses the "blank spaces" in the phone ping comms - it is really no cost to the providers, so I've always been annoyed they charge for it or have limits etc.  Good thing is most plans are unlimited now for that function.  But because it uses that blank space, it is ideal for text-only - no formatting, no images. 

The "messaging apps" that allow/encourage images/photos are technically "Multi-media Messenging Services" now, not true texts.  And they use your data plan.

Anyway, I guess for photos, you'd need to use FB messenger or similar via one of the other wifi plans (at more $$$).  (I have no idea which plan is best for such uses.)

Edited by ProgRockCruiser

2 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Sorry, I have to laugh at this.

It is a texting app.

When images became possible in so-called text messaging functions on phones I was aghast.  True texting uses the "blank spaces" in the phone ping comms - it is really no cost to the providers, so I've always been annoyed they charge for it or have limits etc.  Good thing is most plans are unlimited now for that function.  But because it uses that blank space, it is ideal for text-only - no formatting, no images. 

The "messaging apps" that allow/encourage images/photos are technically "Multi-media Messenging Services" now, not true texts.  And they use your data plan.

Anyway, I guess for photos, you'd need to use FB messenger or similar via one of the other wifi plans (at more $$$).  (I have no idea which plan is best for such uses.)

True for SMS/MMS, but because you're connecting to the ship's WiFi, they'd be using a local network and proxy server to keep that Hub app network traffic aboard.  I could be wrong, but I really doubt the message traffic from the app makes it way from the ship to Miami via satellite and back again.  I'm sure they'd have a server aboard the ships that simply routes traffic between the phones' apps as it needs.  Adding a picture element would be trivial.

But that's probably the point as you suggest.  They'd rather you purchase a social media Internet plan than rely on the cheaper messaging app.

Edited by plettza

We used the $5 per person, per sailing, text feature on Horizon. Worked well for us when we used it. For $5 you can’t go wrong. Had to refresh the app a few times, but worked consistently like any other app... 

9 hours ago, Cinnamon2 said:

Can you still use the free Carnival Hub App for texting others who are on the ship with you if you are all using the App?  I know that now they offer the social media package for money but we really don't need that.  Myself and six other ladies are sailing on Carnival Magic next winter.  We each have our own cabin and they are spread over two decks.  It sure would be convenient if we could message each other on board for meeting times, places etc.

it works good for texting, and I believe it has a group chat feature. you just have to make sure you don't close out the app (double tapping home button and swiping the app up for iPhone users) or you won't get any messages until you load it up again 

• Like 1

We use the $5 texting feature with the hub app.  It didn't seem to be as quick as regular texting at home would be, but it worked ok.  As far as pictures, we used air drop on our iphones - I don't know anything about android phones, so I don't know if you can air drop to one or not.