Notes from Armonia Miami-Havana Jan 2019

Beamafar

Just now, SeaTheW0rld said:

I had that happen to me once (forget which line, thinking Carnival).  I just excused myself (no need to be rude) then went to the maitre'd and explained that I really do want to sit alone. No problem the 2nd time. 

Yes - didn't think to do that to be honest - was too busy trying to remember my primary school French. We sat through the lunch and I like to think we didn't make it awkward for the other couple as we did 'communicate' with hand signals and the odd word of English/French each other could understand, accompanied with nods and smiles as appropriate.

Internally, we were horrified, but hopefully it didn't show. Although I did feel given the back and forth I had with the maitre'd whilst standing in the queue, it was clear enough what I wanted - especially as I refused to follow the waiter initially and explained again I wanted a table for 2 at that point - so not sure how much difference it would have made if I'd went back to see him.

Anyway - enough to make me check very carefully what the dining arrangements are on every cruise - even if it's 'MyTime' for the evening meal that isn't always true for any other meal. Part of why NCL's 'Freestyle' appeals so much - although not enough to justify their recent price hikes.

Crikey, Cap'n ... you and I think alike!  I so relate to that!  (I'm responding to your previous post as I see there have been a couple posted since I began typing).

I've had very similar experiences at lunchtime, too.  On Poesia last September I insisted on a table for 2;  one of the head waiters said there wasn't one available so I said we'd wait 'til they opened up the next area and we'd get one then. (We often do that and it usually works that they'll open up the next area and seat us).  He refused to allow us to wait at the door and pointed outwards and told us to "wait out there".  We duly moved back, but not enough for this boyo, who told us to back out further - which we did, and, again, it wasn't enough for him!  I'd never been treated so badly by a crew member before and it dawned on me then that I didn't have to take this from him.  It so happened that we knew another head waiter who was working at the back of the MDR so I stormed in, past the boyo and headed off to see our friend, who duly told us not to worry about said boyo and very graciously led us to a 2-top! 

More and more, I will only consider booking Aurea or YC - specifically for the MyChoice dining (though we only needed to pay for a Fantastica suite on Armonia to avail of it).

Edited by Beamafar
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

Thank you for following along (despite me going off-topic now and again LOL).

I thank you also! We are sailing the Armonia the end of March, our first MSC cruise. My question is if water and or coffee is offered during dinner without a drink package. 

Just now, cloverose said:

I thank you also! We are sailing the Armonia the end of March, our first MSC cruise. My question is if water and or coffee is offered during dinner without a drink package. 

I believe that US passengers (as well as those from Ireland and UK) have water and coffee after lunch and dinner in the MDRs included in their fare.

2 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

I believe that US passengers (as well as those from Ireland and UK) have water and coffee after lunch and dinner in the MDRs included in their fare.

Thank you! We are Americans from SC. We will have to eat that peanut butter pie!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

7 minutes ago, cloverose said:

This is showing under the pricing breakdown for me (US booking).

water.PNG

3 minutes ago, cloverose said:

Thank you! We are Americans from SC. We will have to eat that peanut butter pie!

Not to be missed!  :classic_biggrin:

Just to clarify ... water is served AT lunch and dinner (I mis-posted back there).

Edited by Beamafar

On 2/19/2019 at 8:20 AM, Beamafar said:

I've looked thru' the excursions booklet as well as the T&Cs on the website AND in the online brochure and can't find a mention of the age range that they charge for the child's rate.  (It was certainly posted somewhere at one time because there was a discussion on here about the upper age limit being 14).  However, there's no way they'd charge for a 10 month old!

I really hope not as they're wanting to charge us the $40USD for him for the airport transfer from MIA airport currently!

7 hours ago, abbeytravelstheworld said:

I really hope not as they're wanting to charge us the $40USD for him for the airport transfer from MIA airport currently!

That is ludicrous!

6 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Thanks Bea,

As usual, an excellent review of all things Armonia.  Really like the food and menu pics.  So many reviews lack the pertinent details on the dining experience.

Where are you headed next?  I hope we won’t have to wait too long...:classic_rolleyes:

Thanks, CGT.

Next one up is on Seaview at the end of August.  A new ship for us - and a very different one, too; we're travelling with another CC contributor who we met on Meraviglia;  really looking forward to it.

I'm so glad it was informative, DM, despite the fact that I didn't give much info about the ship or the entertainment LOL.

I hope you have as wonderful a time as we did on Armonia.  If you see Gabrielle (he's always about - especially around the gangplank area at disembarkation at the ports.  You can't miss him - he's a hunk!) tell him his daughter's namesake said "Hi" and that I'm sorry we missed saying goodbye to him.

• Like 1

Thanks for the detailed review, menus and such. I'd love a look at the activities for each day when you get a chance. We will be doing the Cuba cruise July 1st on her. Our first MSC (we've done most of the other lines) so a bit nervous but ready to try. Our ports are a bit different, Honduras, Costa Maya, Cozumel and Cuba. We are in a Fantastica  (sp?) Balcony right now. I looked at the online options... so no way to pre-order a specialty restaurant like NCL does? Any advice and such?

Thanks!

There's only the one speciality restaurant onboard which is Surf n' Turf, with the very limited menu that I posted.  The place was always empty so no need to pre-book or even make a reservation when onboard.

I'll certainly post the activities - probably tomorrow - but they may differ on your cruise due to the different itinerary (we also had a second sea day on account of missing Jamaica, so extra activities would have been laid on that day, too - you need to take this into account when reading the dailies).

On 2/23/2019 at 4:44 PM, Beamafar said:

There's only the one speciality restaurant onboard which is Surf n' Turf, with the very limited menu that I posted.  The place was always empty so no need to pre-book or even make a reservation when onboard.

I'll certainly post the activities - probably tomorrow - but they may differ on your cruise due to the different itinerary (we also had a second sea day on account of missing Jamaica, so extra activities would have been laid on that day, too - you need to take this into account when reading the dailies).

Of course but it will still give me an idea of what things I might like and to be on the look out... also, was the charges in Euros or dollars for the Cuba cruise?

On 2/19/2019 at 7:24 PM, SeaTheW0rld said:

This is showing under the pricing breakdown for me (US booking).

water.PNG

That is interesting! I looked at my booking on the website and that is not showing. We booked through an on-line travel agency and the page is not even showing a pricing breakdown. It is something expected by US cruisers, but we will adapt if we must!

Thanks for this review! It was wonderful!

My husband and I are currently considering booking the Armonia for April, 2020, along with our two children. We really would love to visit Cuba, and this seems like a great option for our entire family!

We cruise frequently, but have never done so with MSC, so I appreciate the information. We aren't really mega-ship people (nor are we crazy party people), so I think we may enjoy MSC!

13 minutes ago, AerynSun_JohnCrighton said:

Did they have afternoon tea? Any spa specials? Trying to decide if I should book before or wait.. Did they do a big buffet with chocolate sculptures and ice sculptures? 

Not the OP but here is our experience;

We did not see anything advertising an afternoon tea. no Ice Sculptures, no Chocolate Sculpture except the Chocolate ship ( very nice touch) in our cabin from the loyalty program. 

We did not pay particular attention to spa specials but when asking the staff in the spa they suggested they do have some specials. I never saw a sale even on port days, so I would next time book in advance any desired spa services and get the pre cruise discount. 

1 minute ago, spamwhiches said:

Not the OP but here is our experience;

We did not see anything advertising an afternoon tea. no Ice Sculptures, no Chocolate Sculpture except the Chocolate ship ( very nice touch) in our cabin from the loyalty program. 

We did not pay particular attention to spa specials but when asking the staff in the spa they suggested they do have some specials. I never saw a sale even on port days, so I would next time book in advance any desired spa services and get the pre cruise discount. 

Ok, I thought I'd read they did an afternoon tea in buffet area at 4pm but maybe it's not on cruises in Caribbean?