Lifou - Tickets for snorkelling at Jinek Bay

Jumping Castle

Hi there

Travelling on Celebrity Solstice in December.

Reading conflicting reports re: purchase of tickets for tendering at Jinek Bay.

Do we buy the tickets for this on the boat or from the locals at the bay?  

We went on Legend of the Seas a couple of years ago and purchased from the locals, however friends on a P&O cruise recently had to buy the tickets on the ship.

Just wanting to check as I know there are limits on the number of snorkelling tickets available. 

Many thanks

I have never heard to paying for tender tickets on any of the ~15 lines I have been on. Maybe you purchased tickets for an excursion?

Tendering tickets are a system to control the number of passengers going ashore at one time. If everybody wanted to leave the ship at the same time, all hallways, staircases and elevators would be clogged. The tickets are number/color coded. They are free. Read the daily program and/or listen to the announcements to learn when and where they are distributed on the ship. They are distributed one day at a time.

The tenders are the life boats of the ship, not local operators. Local operators sometimes contract with a ship to take over the tender operation, but that was not the case in Lifou. Even if it were, the tendering operation would still be free for passengers and the ticket distribution would be the same as with the life boats tenders.

Edited by Floridiana

Hi Jumping castle.  We have been to Lifou twice - once with Royal Caribbean and once with Carnival. 

With Royal we were able to purchase Jinek Bay tickets from the locals when we arrived. 

However, with Carnival tickets were only available on the ship. 

I think each cruiseline has its own arrangements. It’s probably best checking with the cruiseline or asking your roll call. 

Enjoy, if you can do this - the snorkelling was fun! 

• 11 months later...

Friends of ours were there a couple days ago on Soltice. They bought the tickets on arrival at shore. They said the Jinek Bay gets crowded quickly so if planning to snorkel get on early tender and go straight there. 

We were also just there on NCL Star in November and LOVED it.  NCL did not sell tickets on the ship.  We were first off and first to Jinek.  There was someone there sailing tickets and placing a cord on your wrist.  It was wonderful for the first few hours until everyone got there.  The local was explaining that there is a limit of people allowed, but people would argue and cheat and yell.  I felt really bad for the gentlemen.  

So, it depends on the ship, but do go as early as possible.  It is the most beautiful place I have ever snorkeled. 

My husband does not snorkel or swim but would plan to come to Jinek Bay with me to stay on shore while I snorkel. Do we need to get a permit/ticket for him as well in order to stay on shore or is the ticket just for entering the water?

• 10 months later...