Does Oceania run a shuttle from Ringaskiddy (Cork, Ireland)?

the mice

I've checked the Oceania shuttles topic, and searched the forum.   Most recent information I found is from 2013.   Hoping someone who did the circle Ireland cruise last year might have some information to answer this question.

We're on Nautica in June on the Gaelic Glory cruise around Ireland., and the Cork port website lists us as docking in Ringaskiddy, rather than Cobh.  (Brilliance OTS will be there).   Oceania has told 3 of our TAs that Ringaskiddy is where we will dock.  This is apparently an industrial port, not close to either Cork or Cobh, with poor transportation options.  A group of us have had difficulty trying to arrange private excursion (limited O offerings) so we are now trying to find out if Oceania runs a shuttle here.    The 2013 info was no for a July cruise, and then yes for a later cruise in September.   My TA was told that information will be listed in Currents for the port call - not exactly helpful for advance planning.

Any information greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Thanks.  We already have all these transport options.  Was trying to find out if ship runs a shuttle.   Have been advised that if there is no shuttle, the bus option may be a problem for handling any volume of cruise passengers.

In our experience, it is usually the Port which runs these shuttles, and in a Port like Ringaskiddy that is likely to be a Seasonal proposition, hence the one earlier cruise with a shuttle and the other without.  

I know this is not what you want to hear, but although a shuttle may happen, a cab would be simpler and easier to coordinate.  

Edited by StanandJim

If its of any help we did a private tour from Cobh with Paddywagon tours, they do all sorts of private tours as well as shore excursions and our driver had done a number of privately arranged tours with small groups, may be worth contacting them as locals they may be able to arrange to pick you up. 

I'm guessing what you saw was from me, from 2013.  If not, here's info:  Oceania provided a "Cork on Your Own" type excursion, which was transportation to and from, with a guide on the coach, a little bit of sightseeing on the coach until dropped at a place in Cork, time on your own, and then back.  I'm thinking they charged $59 or possibly $49.  I was also interested in the excursion to Kinsale, but ended up just going with a visit to Cork. 

At least if you get to Cork, you can enjoy that city (as I did) or you could possibly get to Cobh & back by train.  I was thinking of doing the latter, but decided not to.   While I was disappointed that we weren't docking in Cobh, at least we saw it from the water on the way to Ringaskiddy, and I DID enjoy Cork.  

Edited by roothy123

Maybe I need to clarify a bit of our current situation.  

We have been told by Oceania via multiple TAs that we are docking in Ringaskiddy, not Cobh, which is not close to Ringaskiddy.   There is no direct access between the 2.  (see comment below answering LHT28).

As of now, we have a private excursion booked, but despite multiple postings on our roll call, the organizer cannot get others to join so the price is quite high per person, and they are considering cancelling it.

Other providers (Butlers, Paddywagon, etc.)  have been contacted and they are either booked up or unwilling to do a private tour from Ringaskiddy.

Paddywagon has options, but they require getting to Cork (not Cobh), so that is why I'm asking about the shuttle, as Oceania has only told us any shuttle will be listed in Currents for the port - which does not allow for advance planning.

So, it seems we need to get to Cork somehow, and a shuttle would be the ideal option.

LHT28 - according to both the TripAdvisor Destination Expert for Cork, and the directions on Port of Cork's website, there is no direct ferry from Ringaskiddy to Cobh.   It's a bit of a loop, and probably takes well over an hour with several connections.

Roothy123 - yes, yours was the post I found.   Also saw a followup post from another saying a cruise 2 months after yours had a shuttle.  But all that information was from 2013, so more than 5 years ago.

Thanks, all.

sorry I was just going by what that website posted  but  we are docking in Cobh so did not check further

The port site has you docking in Ringaskiddy 

I would find it odd that there is  no transportation out of the port 

Have heard that number of taxis may be limited - this is not the main port and BOTS (2500 pax) is in Cobh.

So, yes, there is transportation, but since we have NO knowledge of whether or not a shuttle will be provided, a lot of what we have gathered in terms of information is that options are somewhat convoluted, take a long time with multiple transfers or are very expensive (taxi, assuming getting one isn't an issue).

So far we are coming up a little short on Irish luck!

7 hours ago, jo-b said:

Have you asked Paddywagon, or one of the others, whether they could provide a taxi for your group at an extra cost to and from the tour from Cobh?

Yes, contacts have been made with all the vendors any of us could find.  It basically comes down to a few factors - willingness to do something from Ringaskiddy, availability, price (and some pretty steep prepayment and cancellation penalties that are off-putting to a lot of people).   Currently a work in progress - a lot of work, with limited progress:classic_rolleyes: