Brindisi and Catania

dronnygirl

Has anyone been to these ports? We prefer to DIY trips and wondered if there are taxis waiting at these ports or does anyone know of any good private tours? We would like to go to Alberabello or Lecce from Brindisi if possible.

I was in Brindisi last spring and went on an included tour to Lecce, which is a lovely city and very easy to get around on your own. I wanted to stay longer than the included tour so had researched in advance how to take the train back on my own.  It's very straightforward.  I would recommend using the train (which will cost as little as 3 euro each way and takes about half an hour) rather than a taxi, which would be much more expensive.  In Lecce the train station is within pretty easy walking distance of the main sights/center of town; in Brindisi it's a straightforward walk (though a bit longer) from the station to the port. It would probably also be easy to grab a taxi to the port from the station if you were tired...

10 minutes ago, dronnygirl said:

Thank you cruise mom, very helpful. So there were taxis at the port taking trips etc?

I didn't really look for taxis at the port. The port itself is very large and industrial. We were docked in a spot that was quite a bit away from the main port entrance, and as I mentioned, I was on a tour in the morning when we left, so I didn't pay close attention. I know there were no taxis AT the ship, but there might have been at the entrance. (I wouldn't count on it, however....)  Where I did see a couple of taxis was at the train station in Brindisi, for getting back to the port, if desired. But it would only be about a 15-20 minute walk on foot.

• 10 months later...
5 hours ago, ilya12000 said:

To cruisemom42: We have only 6 hours stop in Brindisi. Do you think we have enough time to go to Lecce by our-self?

With only six hours in port, I'm not sure. It is a good 30 minutes either driving or by train. You must be back onboard ship 30 minutes before sailing time -- and if you are doing it on your own, it's smart to plan to be back an hour ahead of sailing to give yourself a little cushion. So that's already 2 hours out of your 6 hour window. It's possible, but it would be fairly tight. Is there something in particular that you want to see in Lecce? 

Lecce is certainly beautiful and interesting. I could've spent more time there. I only caution that you don't have a lot of time to see it if you go on your own, just because of the short port time. If you did go, I'm sure you'd enjoy the beautiful baroque, richly carved buildings. And the Roman amphitheatre right in the center of one of the main piazzas. 

• Like 1

Ostuni is also a lovely town to visit.  I think Alberobello may be a little too far for the short time.  We spent a week in this region, there Is so  much to see. Lecce  is very  beautiful and there is lots to see and do. 

For Catania, we organized a private tour and visited the beautiful cities of Ortygia and Noci.  Both were stunning and we also visited the amphitheaters in Syracuse as well as a winery that produces Nero d’ Avila.   One of our best tours and no tourists besides us.  

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 1