Greek Islands cruise

Bartswife

We have done the Greek Islands in Summer mainly but we have also been in April a couple of times. It is a lovely time of the year as everywhere is greener, quiet and sometimes it can link with the Greek Easter and all of those celebrations. We have been on Oceana twice - once from Venice and visited Corfu - lovely day - and last year we visited Rhodes (fab!), Athens (love it) and Mykonos (we could not dock because of the high winds.

We have also been to Cyprus in early April and loved it there too for a land holiday

:-)

It’s a long story. Short version is our son wants to visit Athens but I don’t fancy a holiday there so have talked him into a cruise that incorporates a visit there. We aren’t tied to school holidays so just waiting to see what’s available in 2021. We already have the Caribbean booked for next year and have a week booked in Tenerife next month. He has special needs so has to come on holiday with us so we try to work together to make holidays enjoyable for all of us.

It was two summer seasons ago that we did the relocation from Southampton to Malta on Oceana - so the first sailing of the season prior to the Adriatic/Greek Island itineraries starting up for the summer.  That was at the end of March and the first couple of weeks in April.  I've just had a look at our photos - no coats anywhere, just a light top/jumper.   

We also had a week in Santorini at the beginning of May one year (the tourist shops were just opening up for the summer) and the weather was lovely.  Nice and warm without being over-powering.  We once went to Athens in August and were up the Acropolis and off again by 10 o'clock to try to beat the crowds and heat but it was overwhelming!  

I've not been in September but would definitely say that Spring is a lovely time of the year in this area.  

And then we have Mykanos!

You would have thought a Greek island in late June would have idyllic weather, after all you are only there for 8 hours or so.

Mykanos will forever be remembered for the cold, rainy, squally conditions that met us last year.

We left the Oceana gangway and were met by those awful conditions, so turned immediately to our left and went back onboard to the shelter of the vessel.

Who would have thought it?

22 hours ago, Bartswife said:

It’s a long story. Short version is our son wants to visit Athens but I don’t fancy a holiday there so have talked him into a cruise that incorporates a visit there. We aren’t tied to school holidays so just waiting to see what’s available in 2021. We already have the Caribbean booked for next year and have a week booked in Tenerife next month. He has special needs so has to come on holiday with us so we try to work together to make holidays enjoyable for all of us.

I am sure that I don't need to be involved in your long story, but I want to tell you that you could go to Athens for a couple of days and then take one of the ferries to a (or more than one) greek island to make for a more interesting trip - that does not have to be a cruise.   I did this so many moons ago that I find Mama Mia a little bit cringey to be honest.  It was great at the time.  

20 hours ago, Daftlad said:

And then we have Mykanos!

You would have thought a Greek island in late June would have idyllic weather, after all you are only there for 8 hours or so.

Mykanos will forever be remembered for the cold, rainy, squally conditions that met us last year.

We left the Oceana gangway and were met by those awful conditions, so turned immediately to our left and went back onboard to the shelter of the vessel.

Who would have thought it?

We've been to Mykonos in August and the sea was really choppy and it was blowing a gale !

On Ventura we did a 17 nighter from Southampton on Ventura and the weather was not good in the Eastern Med in August! It was so windy outside Rhodes and cool on deck that the Caribbean Night was a 'no go'. 

Its not just the UK that has strange weather in the Summer months ;-)

I've been to the Greek islands on Azura in the second half of April; the weather was perfect for sightseeing as it was warm but not too hot. The sea was a bit cold though!

The only problem I experienced was on a tour of Kefalonia where things just were not open because the tourist season really doesn't start there until the first flights in early May. they weren't geared up for coachloads of cruisers and trying to get a coffee in the one cafe open in Fiskardo and the queue for the one available toilet rather spoiled a good day!