Tasmanian voyage with Carnival Spirit in March

We've booked a five-night voyage aboard Spirit in late March.  I've only been to Tasmania once and that was in November 2004 but I remember it was pretty cold.  This was in Launceston for the V8 Supercars.

Does anyone know what the weather will be like for our cruise?  Any things we should specifically pack?  Also, what will the seas be like?  Will there be pool-time on the sea days or will passengers be more likely to be indoors because weather isn't so great?  I know no one will be able prognosticate exactly what will happen, but I'm just after some overall experiences people have had.

We're heading to Port Arthur and the next day we'll be in Hobart.  I've never been to those places so it'll be a different cruise from our normal South Pacific.

Any tips are appreciated.

The one and only time we sailed to Tasmania the seas were calm on the way down and the roughest I have ever encounted on the way back.

I get sea sick in the bath tub so I usually take sea sick tablets on a cruise when white caps are visable.

I had taken a tablet the night before but when I woke up at 6am to the sound of the dresser drawers sliding in and out with the waves I took another sea sick tablet and was right for the day. We stayed in the atrium for the morning with half the passengers and watched/filmed the waves hit the windows as the ship dog legged up the Bass Strait. Half the passengers had fun that morning, the other half of the passengers were in their cabins, I assume in bed.

The rough conditions only lasted until we reached the mainland when the Captain sailed the ship close to the shore.

Therefore if you do get seasick take an extra travel tablet and you should be right if conditions are rough for the crossing.

Hopefully you will have good seas both ways.

March should be reasonable weather and, unless a storm comes through, warm enough to be out on deck on the sea days. However pack a warm layer and a good rain jacket just in case. Port Arthur and Hobart are lovely.

Pack Layers, Tasmania can give you anything any day, we’ve been there in the middle winter and had a lovely warm day and they frequently get snow on Mt Wellington at Christmas.

Edited by GUT2407

I've got a couple of nice items of clothing from Kathmandu such as a nice, light rain jacket and light travel pants.   I've also got a hoodie and light jackets.   I'll probably then take those and as it's only a 5-night cruise, I can afford to pack these things in the same suitcase I usually take for an 8-nighter to New Cal.  ANd I'll certainly pack my boardies for lounging poolside!