Question

ltlsab

I am going on a cruise in March of 06. I heard that Royal Caribbean isn't allowing you to purchase liquor on the ship and open it in your room. Is this true, and if so can you bring some on board with you?

Please Respond

Thanks

I am going on a cruise in March of 06. I heard that Royal Caribbean isn't allowing you to purchase liquor on the ship and open it in your room. Is this true, and if so can you bring some on board with you?

The cruise line's policy prohibits you from bringing your own liquor on board as they want you to purchase drinks from the bar. You can purchase a bottle on the ship and consume it during the cruise. However, they will charge you an additional "corkage fee" of about $15 to do so. If you don't want to pay the corkage fee bottles purchased on board will be delivered to your cabin the last night of the cruise. As a response to this policy of charging a corkage fee, many passengers smuggle their booze on board either in their carryon bags or even in their suitcases. If you purchase liquor in any of the ports it will usually be taken from you when you get back on the ship and delivered to you the last night.

I am not aware of any lines that allow you to purchase booze in the gift shop and take it right to your room.

That said small bottles, under a pint, are not confiscated in ports. I bought several small bottles of Guava Berry Rum and they didn't take it. I asked about it and they said they never do.

Superjerry, up until last summer you were able to purchase a bottle at the ship's store (on RCCL) and take it to your cabin for a $9.00 fee. This is no longer the case. Are you saying this can still be done? I am not sure this is correct info. Anyone else have thoughts?

Superjerry, up until last summer you were able to purchase a bottle at the ship's store (on RCCL) and take it to your cabin for a $9.00 fee. This is no longer the case. Are you saying this can still be done? I am not sure this is correct info. Anyone else have thoughts?

I was thinking the same thing..... ??

I don't believe that they will allow you to open any booze purchased aboard, but they are relatively lax in confiscating stuff brought aboard. I think as long as you're not seen to be abusing their system, you should be ok, but a couple of litres at every port will soon be frowned upon. As Nliedel says, smaller amounts are generally ignored. I believe that you can also purchase miniature bottles of spirits from the shop on board with impunity. Good luck and have a great time!

Alan

If you purchase liquor in the ship's shop, it will be delivered to your cabin on the last night of your cruise.

Everyone just "smuggles." What a nasty word! Use lots of bubble wrap and a zip lock bag.

Not everyone!! Have a great cruise

You know, because of weight restrictions on the plane, I'd much rather pack extra shoes or something, than lug bottles of booze around! We're fortunate enough to be able to afford a cruise--I'm not going to get all cheap over a few drinks!

The cruise line's policy prohibits you from bringing your own liquor on board as they want you to purchase drinks from the bar. You can purchase a bottle on the ship and consume it during the cruise. However, they will charge you an additional "corkage fee" of about $15 to do so. If you don't want to pay the corkage fee bottles purchased on board will be delivered to your cabin the last night of the cruise. As a response to this policy of charging a corkage fee, many passengers smuggle their booze on board either in their carryon bags or even in their suitcases. If you purchase liquor in any of the ports it will usually be taken from you when you get back on the ship and delivered to you the last night.
Jerry, you are mixing the rules about LIQUOR and WINE together. WINE you can bring on and pay a corkage fee in the dining room of $12-$15 (different reports). LIQUOR, NO. NO choice of paying a fee and taking it back to your cabin with you. THAT ended on 8/5/05.

Sorry that I *insulted* you, msts. I tend toward hyperbolic posting. :cool:

Archived