Superstar Gemini

mummsie

I know I'm jealous!! Have a great trip and let us know what you did (shore excursions etc) and all about your holiday........

Roll on March 2007! I can't wait!!! :D

Does anyone know how soon before the actual cruise date that you find out your cabin number? My travel agent said that they can change it right up to when you check-in on board! I was hoping to have more of an idea before we get there......:confused:

Morning OuiselG,

You are able to nominate a couple of Cabins you would like one either Port or Starboard sides to your TA who would get on to Star Cruises in Aus, and receive a confirmed Cabin #, we did for the HK to Singapore Cruise in May ’07.:)

It depends on what is available at the time so best to get in early, I know Tracey missed out and she booked just a couple of weeks after we did, I suppose it all depends just how many cabins have been allocated to Aus Cruisers and how popular the bookings have been.:(

Get right on to your TA and get them moving on it for you.:)

Regards, BJC

Hi there Mike,

Sorry mate you’ve probably answered this somewhere in this thread but I’m a lazy b... and don’t have the time to go looking, so will ask them again.

What access is there available to e-mail and the internet on Gemini, and if available what are the costs please?

Also does this and or the Photo Shop extend to downloading your JPEG photos from your SD card onto either your own USB Thumb Drive, or burn them to a CD or preferably a DVD, and again at what cost?

We have a still Dig Camera, and 3 SD cards 2 x 512 and 1 x 256 also a 1GB USB Storage, and normally take 1.2MB photos, is this enough if we can dump to the USB?

Also do they print your photos for you on Gemini, or would it be better to get it done in Singapore at the end of the Cruise?

Any assistance and or recommendations would be very much appreciated thanks mate.:)

Regards, Bruce

Hi Bruce,

Internet access is available at the Internet and Card Room located on Deck 7 aft. I can't help you with the cost, as I normally do not use internet onboard ship. But I am sure some of our more recent cruisers can help with this.

To my knowledge, or if things have changed recently, the Photo Shop is not equipped to download. Not sure about the internet computers either.

Your 3 SD cards sounds like it should be sufficient.

Personally, even if a ship is able to print your photos, I would still use a land based photo lab for this. Prices should be lower and there is the convenience of not having a land based photo lab "sailing away," should you encounter a problem or need further photos;)

Sorry that I could not give you costs Bruce, but I am sure someone will jump in and help.

Ciao,

Mike

Thanks for the info Mike, someone might come up with the costs or will make a decision when on board.

On the Galaxy they charged an arm and a leg, we got the cheapest Internet / E-mail rate cost $70US, and because of the speed of the satellite connections we only managed to send about 6 e-mails and then they charged us another $20US for additional time.:mad:

I should have strapped a message to a passing Albatross instead, and spent the $90 on some decent Aus Merlot!;)

I did note also on Galaxy none of the PC’s had any Floppy / CD / DVD Burners or USB Plugs, they say it was to stop infections, which is valid, and had nothing to do with the fact that they had a nice little earner going downloading your Dig Photos at about $20US a time, but then again I’ve become very cynical in my old age!:p

Anyway thanks for the help mate, your probably correct in that the SD Cards I have will give me about 1000 shots at high resolution, so that should be enough.

Regards, Bruce

Hi there Mike,

Sorry mate you’ve probably answered this somewhere in this thread but I’m a lazy b... and don’t have the time to go looking, so will ask them again.

What access is there available to e-mail and the internet on Gemini, and if available what are the costs please?

Also does this and or the Photo Shop extend to downloading your JPEG photos from your SD card onto either your own USB Thumb Drive, or burn them to a CD or preferably a DVD, and again at what cost?

We have a still Dig Camera, and 3 SD cards 2 x 512 and 1 x 256 also a 1GB USB Storage, and normally take 1.2MB photos, is this enough if we can dump to the USB?

Also do they print your photos for you on Gemini, or would it be better to get it done in Singapore at the end of the Cruise?

Any assistance and or recommendations would be very much appreciated thanks mate.:)

Regards, Bruce

Hi Bruce,

As Mike said there is internet access from the library - there are 2 oldish pc's. The cost is around 50 cents a minute but its very slow. I used it to keep in touch with my kids. It was never hard to get onto them - it wasn't widely used.

The photo gallery is very small on the Gemini and from what I recall they don't have any facilities to dump your stuff to CD and I don't believe they will print anything for you. They don't push the photos like other cruise lines - its all very relaxed. The Photo gallery isn't open all the time - just a few hours a day. The photos are very cheap in comparision to Princess and P&O :D Gayle

just wondering what is the average age of travellers on the gemini

also told there was just two resteraunts on the gemini is this correct

thanks hazel:p

Hi Hazel, Ages on the Gemini go from very young - primarly school to the older travellers in their 80's. When we were on I guess the majority would have been baby boomers but there was a lot of families as well. Only one restaurant and the buffet. Its a very small ship :D Gayle

Hi Gayle,

Thanks for the additional info on the e-mail and photos, do you recall if the PC’s had a USB plug in or not, you would think that in traveling around Asia, Star would have the latest PC’s available on their Ships, given what you can pick them up for in KH!:p

Know what you mean about the cost of some Ships Photos, however we do have a couple of photos from the Gemini back in the late 90’s, one of me with a couple of drop dead gorgeous "Show Girls" from Aus, that were dancing their way around the world, one on each arm.;)

And one of Mrs C with the Assistant CD, who was a (Sir) Cliff Richard’s impersonator, who just looked like him, and he sung just like him also, I couldn’t get Mrs C out of the Show Room all Cruise!!!:D

We only purchased one on Celebrity in June, which I think cost about $15 or $20US, so we mostly take our own.

Anyway thanks for the info, so where are you off to in January and May next?

Regards, Bruce

Hi Bruce, I didn't see a USB plug on the PC's - like I said they are old klunkers but then I wasn't really looking for one. They are running a really old operating system like Windows 95 or some such thing - they are really old.!! :D

January we are off around the Pacific again out of Sydney and in May we are going to Alaska before all the ice is gone forever.

cheers - Gayle

just wondering what is the average age of travellers on the gemini

also told there was just two resteraunts on the gemini is this correct

thanks hazel:p

Hi there Hazel,

It’s been a while since we were on the Gemini, however I must agree with Gayle, in that the vast majority would be "Baby Boomers", let’s face it we are the ones with the ways and means, you know, SKI Holidays.:)

By and large Cruise Lines seem to "target" their market, based on their cruise style, from Formal to Freestyle and or budget, the cost of the cruise and the destinations, the likes of Celebrity who we cruised with the last two times caters for formal, middle income, 50-60-70 year olds, with very few children, in that there were no more than about 12 children out of nearly 2000 passengers.

Gemini appears to be much more family orientated, with its freestyle, smart casual approach to cruising, however since moving her back to Singapore and with the Cruise Destinations available, I expect its target market age would be 40 to late 60’s.

I recall that on our Gemini Cruise, there was about 80 Year 12 Girls from a private Girls School in Perth, on their annual "Camp", I was thinking at the time, why didn’t we do that when I was at school, instead of camping out in the bush!:D

Anyway they were so well behaved, and they had a ball, the only complaint I had was that you couldn’t get near the Karaoke machine until after curfew at 10.30pm, and by that time I had lost the urge!;)

Anyway you’ll have a ball I’m sure no matter what the mix.:)

Regards, Bruce

Hi Gayle,

Never were truer words spoken in jest, I’m glad we did Alaska when we did as I doubt that our Grandchildren will get the opportunity, no I’ll get down from my soapbox.;)

I’m sure you will just love Alaska, we were just "gob smacked" at the sheer awesome splendor of it all, and to have Humpbacks swim along side the ship as we went through the Inside Passage, mind blowing.:)

Enjoy, Bruce.

Hi Bruce, Yes we are really looking forward to it. It was my husbands one dream cruise and we had too good a price not to go. My son is very cranky because he is the only one in the family that hasn't cruised. We sent daughter and son-in-law on a cruise for their honeymoon so we have decided to do a whole family cruise probably on the Gemini in July of 2008. Hopefully my son will have saved up enough by then :D Gayle

Hi Gayle, in your reply post to the restaurant question, I notice that you said there were two restaurants onboard Gemini.

Have they done away with the extra charge Tai Pan restaurant (area actually) that was in the raised center of Ocean Palace?

Also, what venue was used for extra charge 24 hour dining (when dining room is not open), Mariners or is it still Ocean Palace?

Thanks.

Regards,

Mike

Hi Mike, I am not sure. We didn't bother with finding out about eating late at night - we are not big eaters and only eat a regular meal times. I think there was another restaurant that you could pay to go but we found the food excellent in the main Ocean Palace. We were seated up in the raised portion a couple of evenings and it didn't cost us. Gayle

hello all. I have been looking around and there doesn't seem to be much info out there on the Gemini. We were originally booked to go on the Pacific Sky out of Singapore on the 1st July when we were advised that our cruise had been cancelled. After much discussion with my husband we decided to go with the Superstar Gemini. We now leave Singapore on the 2nd July for 7 days. We really wanted something just a little longer than 7 days but we couldn't afford a b2b cruise (my husband couldn't get that much time off work). Any information on this ship would be greatly appreciated. Gayle:)

Getting info on Gemini cruises in the U.S. is like pulling teeth 3 days to get pricing and only for window cabins...have to get back to you on rest...what about airfare package....don't think there is any.....prepackage extra days in Singapore and post in Hong Kong...don't think there are any....ports of call shore intinaries...what do you see...what is cost???? when you board ship, they tell you HELP OUT THERE.... MUST BE SOME TA WHO KNOWS WHAT'S GOING ON!!!!!!Bruce L.

Hi Bruce L.

It's a shame that it's been so difficult for you to find info, but you'll find quite a lot here.

Our TA booked our cruise (May 07) thru Creative Cruising http://www.creativecruising.com.au their site should help you, pricing in AUD, and perhaps they might be able to help you book from where you are.

Also http://www.starcruises.com whilst not really 'full' of info, can help with port info and tours. There are another couple of sites around with plenty of port info too. (Fodors, Frommers, Trip Advisor)

The others here will add more I'm sure. :D

Regards,

Tracey.

Getting info on Gemini cruises in the U.S. is like pulling teeth 3 days to get pricing and only for window cabins...have to get back to you on rest...what about airfare package....don't think there is any.....prepackage extra days in Singapore and post in Hong Kong...don't think there are any....ports of call shore intinaries...what do you see...what is cost???? when you board ship, they tell you HELP OUT THERE.... MUST BE SOME TA WHO KNOWS WHAT'S GOING ON!!!!!!Bruce L.

Your best bet would be to look at the Thomson TA website in UK. When I was there a month ago Thomson was selling their regular weekly cruise for 500 pounds. My sources here in Singapore are telling me they are now selling this cruise to the Perth, Australia, TA for S$500.

The ship is sailing at less than half full capacity nowadays.

I have requested Gimini info from Creative Cruises and they acknowledged my request for a package from Boston....nowhere on Thomson TA site could I find any cruises in Asia or a way to inquire....everything seem to be packaged toward European cruises, some Red Sea etc. thank you! Bruce L

I have requested Gimini info from Creative Cruises and they acknowledged my request for a package from Boston....nowhere on Thomson TA site could I find any cruises in Asia or a way to inquire....everything seem to be packaged toward European cruises, some Red Sea etc. thank you! Bruce L

What I saw in the Thomson shop in the UK is their book on tour packages.

In the thick book there is a page and at the bottom 1/4 of the page is the Gimini cruise. I miss it the first couple of times I look at the book.

WOW WHAT A CRUISE!

I have had a look through all of your emails asking current questions but cant remember them so feel free to ask them again and then i will answer!

as for the internet question, 33c a minue(singapore dollar) and the computers have been updated!

there is no 24 hour dining there any more! and the extra charge bit was not there when i was on board!!!

it sucks this time last week i was boarding Gemini for Penang!!!! now i am back at work!!!

thank you to everyone that help me with questions i had!!!

P.S HIGH RECOMMENDATIONS FOR INS Spa on board! the best massages i have had in a long time!