Superstar Gemini

mummsie

WOW WHAT A CRUISE!

Welcome home WRX712, so glad to hear you had a WOW Cruise.:)

I possible, you would probably do us all a favor if you could spend a little time and do what I call a JBR, being a Just Back Report, and tell us a little of what you did and how Gemini is traveling?

We would like to know what it was like and how was the food and the shows and all that stuff, if you wouldn’t mind please.

I suppose the next question is, when is the next Cruise???;)

Regards, BJC

Hi there lostqeba,

Having a spare couple of minutes during lunch I endeavored to find you somewhere in the USA that handles Star Cruises, but to no avail, as I said above, as elusive as a Lottery Win!;)

This is despite a number of Press Releases from Star Cruises indicating that they had agencies all over the USA, however they must be well disguised, as Star Cruises doesn’t seem to get a mention on any of the major cruise sales web sites!:confused:

Such a pity really as there is a lot to offer the US Cruising Public in Asia, the upside however is that while North Americans miss out, the rest of us can enjoy cruising and holidaying in Asia at reasonable prices and without having to tip!:p

Sorry I couldn’t be of any assistance, I expect you need to e-mail Star Cruises direct, as has been suggested.

Regards, BJC

Hi

You may find that if you contact NCL-Norwegian Cruise Line, (Main office is in Miami) they also act as Star Cruises in USA as they are the owned by the same company! the reason that Star dont get a massive mention is because NCL are the big ones in the states! whereas here in Aust, you will find its easier to come across Star as apposed to NCL!!!

Hope that helps!

Hello all and sorry if i am posting in the wrong place, i am a first time poster on this site.

Just wondering if anyone could advise me of what to expect as regarding ages on board Gemini?

Myself and my fiance and travelling on board Gemini on 19th August next year out of Singapore on the 'South China Sea' cruise, as part of our honeymoon. (Both late 20's).

Whilst we are very much looking forward to the cruise, i guess we are just a little anxious about it as regards the age groups on board, as you mainly hear of cruise go-ers as an 'older' crowd!!

(Think my other half has visions of granny's sitting around knitting and old men smoking their pipes)....

Whilst this is of course, fine, im just wondering, would we be very much in a minority?

Also, i know that cruises are mainly for relaxing but i just hope its not a little too quiet for us!

Many thanks,

Dub Girl

Hi there Dub Girl and Fiancé,

It’s been a while since we were on the Gemini, In answering this question for another new to cruising, I think we mostly agreed that the vast majority would be "Baby Boomers", let’s face it we are the ones with the ways and means, you know, SKI Holidays - Spend Kids Inheritance!:D

By and large Cruise Lines seem to "target" their market, based on their cruise style, from Formal, to Freestyle, and or Budget, also the cost of the cruise, and finally their destinations.

The likes of Celebrity, who we cruised with the last two times, caters for Formal market, being mostly middle income, 50-60-70 year olds, with very few children, in that on both cruises there were no more than about 12 children out of nearly 2000 passengers.

Gemini, with its Freestyle, "smart casual" approach to cruising, appears to be much more family orientated, and with an appeal to a wide cross section of Cruisers.

However since moving her back to Singapore and with the longer Cruises and Destinations such as Vietnam being available, I expect its target market age would be Middle age, 40 to late 60’s.

Be that as it may, I recall that on our Gemini Cruise, there was about 80 Year 12 Girls from a private Girls School in Perth, on their annual "Camp", I was thinking at the time, why didn’t we do that when I was at school, instead of camping out in the bush! :D

I must say they were so well behaved, and they had a ball, the only complaint I had was that you couldn’t get near the Karaoke machine until after curfew at 10.30pm, and by that time I had lost the urge! :p

Also I recall that there was a young couple on their honeymoon on our last Gemini Cruise, who we were able to help some, I by way of loaning Mark a collared shirt and tie for the Captains Dinner, and Mrs C loan something a bit "dressy", this being the extent of the "Formal" part of the cruise.

Anyway you’ll have a ball I’m sure, no matter what the mix, and you will meet up with some wonderful people and age is no barrier to having a good time let me tell you. :)

Regards, BJ and Mrs C

PS. You are definitely posting in the right place, and please don’t hesitate to ask any questions, the only "dumb" Question is the one not asked.

Hi Dub Girl, While the majority of people on the Gemini will be baby boomers, there will still be quite a large number of other age groups. Don't let our age fool you - we can out party many younger people around :D Age is in your mind not the shape of your body. :D Some of the most wonderful and interesting people we have spoken too on cruises have been in their 70's and 80's.

As for being too quiet - we found this a VERY busy cruise. Our next one in 5 weeks will be much more relaxing for us with lots of sea days which we prefer.

Our daughter and son in law just got back from a cruise for their honeymoon and the ages on their ship ranged from toddlers to 90 year olds and they had a ball. They had traditional dining at a 4 person table. Their table mates were in their 50's and my daughter said they got on really well.

A cruise is what you make it :D Mummsie

I was on Gemini Last week, and the age group was from approx 12 to 80. but the majority of them were from 20 to 40... there was a group of mid 20's onboard and they were always in teh happening paces onboard the ship! such as Fortuna make a fool of your self bar(karaoke) and star lounge, which made for good fun!!!

you will make what you want from it! thats how i looked at it and had a great time!

Hi all and thanks for the prompt reply.

I guess its nice to know what to expect but your right, age is nothing but a number and everyone is there to enjoy themselves. :) We certainly never have any problems mixing with all ages & talking to anyone and everyone and making good friends.

I wouldnt mind, but it is himself quizzing me about all aspects of the honeymoon (as like most typical brides i have organised most of the wedding and all of the honeymoon!), so if anything goes wrong it will be my fault!! :rolleyes:

Thanks again, and im sure i'll be back with many more questions before now and then, as and when i think of them

Dub Girl

Hi there Hazel,

Wouldn’t it be nice to be able to afford to spend a good portion of your life cruising, as such we would love to join you on the cruise, all I need from you is the Power Ball Numbers for next weeks Lotto!:p

Oh well never mind.;)

Regards, BJ & Mrs C.

Hi all,

Have been reading on a Carnival thread about the lengths some pax are going to with regards to norovirus. As a nurse, I understand how virulent and unpleasant this bug is and the practicalities of infection control, but how much of it is paranoia?

They talk of taking a cheap shower curtain with them and using it instead of the one already hanging there (not for norovirus, but because it has 'touched' other pax), spraying their cabin on arrival with lysol and wiping everything 'touchable' with anti-bacterial wipes. Not using public toilets on board, lots of hand washing, no touching their face unless their hands are freshly washed. The list goes on................ also, not being allowed at the buffet unless they use the anti-bac gel provided at the start of the line. I find it difficult to understand how such paranoid folk can travel so much!!

On a 3 week cruise, I want to enjoy every minute of it, so will be as cautious as I am in my daily life, which could be more than some. Certainly not paranoid!! How do others feel about this issue??

Tracey.

Hi Tracey,

I suppose some people tend to overreact to what might happen, bordering on Paranoia, but there will always be a need for a heightened state of cleanliness to prevent, and tight infection control should there be an unfortunate outbreak.

However there is a limit, and as you say, if it impacts on your enjoyment of your cruise then why bother.:(

I do have some concerns about the buffet style of eating, in that I have stood in the line behind some people who have handled the food, and by that I mean picked up food in their bare hands and not wanting it, have returned it to the tray / dish!:mad:

I believe that many Cruise Lines now they only allow their staff to serve you from the buffet, rather than a help your self, which I don’t have any problem with.:)

Also on Celebrity they offer an antibacterial spray on entry into both the Buffet and Main Dining Room, and most people make use of it, however it was not mandatory.

I believe that most of the outbreaks happen despite the cleanliness and all the precautions taken by Cruise Lines, simply because people will pick it up ashore and bring it back on board, and there is nothing like and enclosed space and captive audience to ensure that it will spread.

I suspect we are somewhat responsible by way of over sanitizing our life, our children and grandchildren don’t get out in the garden and eat worms any more, and everything is wrapped in plastic and has been sprayed with chemicals to kill of everything that used to help us build up a natural immunity.:p

Having said that, we would never leave home when traveling, especially to Asia, without our bottles of Aqium Antibacterial Gel, and in the likes of Bali, it just becomes second nature to use it as appropriate!

I think it’s simply a case of, as someone once said, “be aware, but not alarmed” and enjoy your cruise to the max.:)

Regards, Bruce

Hi Tracey, I agree - far too much paranoia. That's why bugs become resistant to antibiotics and such - too much antibacterial wiping going on. We do take the handwashing liquid when we go off ship because sometimes the water isn't that clean but on board we don't bother except for when we go in the buffet line or after we have been playing the poker machines. Just got to be sensible and use normal precautions. I however do try not to touch the stair rails too much unless I am in rough water - would rather a bout of novo than a broken leg. Gayle

Ok all you seasoned Gemini Cruisers, Gayle, Mike and others, I know it’s probably considered vulgar but the question that needs to be asked is, what do the drinks normally cost on the Gemini?:confused:

Do they have things like happy hours and or Cocktails of the Day, which, on other Cruise Ships like Celebrity, where they seem to want to make their money by charging like wounded bulls for their drinks, we have found to be a reasonable, cost effective way to enjoy a drink or two on board?:rolleyes:

Also what is their wine list like and what would a decent Merlot cost, also can you bring your own wine with you, and then be charged a corkage?:)

Now from these questions I would not like you to get the false impression that I, despite being an old Navy man, am an over imbiber of the drink, just that on occasions in good company one is sociable, and with the warmer climes of the South China Sea, an occasional ice cold beer or something exotic in a long tall glass is a must, purely to keep the fluid levels up of course!:p

Any way would much appreciate your feedback if for no other reason but to get your feel on the social side of Gemini Cruising.:)

Regards, Bruce

Hi Bruce, Question is not vulgar at all. They have coctails and moctails of the day and happy hours - Gemini Bar is the nicest place to enjoy a quiet drink, but the list doesn't seem as large as the ones on Princess. The drinks I can't remember exactly the price but they were reasonable. My husband usually has scotch and water and I was drinking gin and tonics and they were quite ok. Be careful to tell them what sort of spirit you want if you like specifics though - once my husband asked for a scotch and got a bourbon which was really awful. The wines on board were of excellent quality - we like a good Merlot with our meal as well. Cost was about the same as any of the other ships we have been on. Not sure about bringing your own wine/corkage as its easier to just buy what is available. The beers on board are local ones - Tiger seemed the most popular. :D Gayle

Hi Bruce,

I agree with the comments that Gayle posted. In general, I find the drink/wine prices onboard any Star Cruises ship very reasonable, even though the prices are different in each area where they have ships homeported.

Mike

Hi Mummsie

I note from your profile that you have sailed on Sapphire Princess. I am also a ballroom dancer, can you tell me anything regarding the size of dance floors. We last danced Oz at South Paks. We may have meet at some stage

Paul

Hi Mummsie

I note from your profile that you have sailed on Sapphire Princess. I am also a ballroom dancer, can you tell me anything regarding the size of dance floors. We last danced Oz at South Paks. We may have meet at some stage

Paul

Hi Paul, Best place to dance is the Wheelhouse Bar - they usually have a 3 piece band or a very good pianist/keyboard player there. The floor is not huge but we managed to do a fairly decent waltz. If you are the only dancers, they will usually play requests for whatever you want. They even did a tango for us one night :D The rhumbas are a little off putting though as they are usually the American style so you can't do Inter Rhumba - we just used to do a box rhumba but it gets you around the floor. They also had a very good latin band in Club Fusion I think it was. They were excellent although they played a lot of salza and meringue. They also double as the rock and roll band so be prepared for some fast jiving :D

As for comp work we don't usually go to the Souths. Not even at the Australians this weekend although my son is dancing there today :D Lately we have just been doing local Qld comps as we have gotten over travelling to do comps. :D What level/grade do you dance? Gayle

Hi Gayle

Masters 1 Level 4 in both styles. Over the past 4 years we have danced 3 times at the Souths and been 2nd each time. A bit frustrating. We did dance at the Queensland Open last year & won B grade in Ballroom, but it was not upgrading. I guess you were both there, how did you go?

What is Rob & Dorreen up to these days they dont seen to dance a lot of comps ? We did our last comp for the year last week in Christchurch NZ.

Paul

We are Masters II level 4 NV and 3 Standard. I was the supervisor for the card collection kids for the Qld Open so you would have definately seen me :-) We didn't dance at either of the Qld Open or the Superstars (I also worked there). haven't Seen Rob or Doreen for ages - they seem to only dance at the majors. Will ask John & Bev from our studio (they are good mates of theirs) and let you know.

There is a fairly active thread over in http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=133289&page=2&pp=25. Mostly American stuff but its interesting sometimes.:)

How did you go in NZ? Is it a good sized comp? If so we may thing about doing it next year as part of a holiday :D Gayle

Hi Gayle

Last weekend was a small comp we were happly with 2 seconds in Open. They did not have level 4 for some reason. We often go to Sydney on business and we try and work in dancing when we go if possible. I lived there for nearly 3 years, miss it when I am not there, except the traffic.

Many thanks for your info regarding the Sapphire. In our July holiday we went on the Carnival Liberty big ship, very small dance floors, in fact totally useless. Would also love to try Cosa, they say all there ships have big dance floors. I will check that link out.

Paul

Yes I would also like to hear from WRX712.....where have you gone? Any chance of a summary of your Gemini cruise? We would all love to hear about it :p

What were the best things to do and where was the best place to go???? Can you please let us know so that we can make the most of our cruises?

Also, how much were the massages? Do you need to book a long time in advance or can you do it on the day?

We look forward to hearing from you :D

• 2 weeks later...
Hi

You may find that if you contact NCL-Norwegian Cruise Line, (Main office is in Miami) they also act as Star Cruises in USA as they are the owned by the same company! the reason that Star dont get a massive mention is because NCL are the big ones in the states! whereas here in Aust, you will find its easier to come across Star as apposed to NCL!!!

Hope that helps!

I was contacted by a TA from N Y city......very vague ...didn't have 2007 pricing....said Star people were difficult to get info/brochures out of.....I have sent an e-mail to Creativecruising in Australia asking if they can book U.S. citizens....waiting for reply thank you, Lostqeba