Superstar Gemini

mummsie

Hi lostqeba,

Sorry to hear of your problems with getting on to a TA that will handle Star Cruises in the USA, I note you have been on to Creative in Aus, the other good one is http://www.bestcruises.com.au/ which are an internet based TA and they have lots of Cruises for Star Cruise Lines.:)

Hope this helps you.

Regards, BJC

Hi Dub Girl,

I have just got back from the exact cruise you are going on. The ship was only 50% full so it was pretty quiet. There was one couple on board that were having their honeymoon in their late 20's and they had a good time. The majority of people are as you said between 40-60 +. But as long as you are prepared for that. The day tours were great and the service on the ship amazing!! Oh I forgot to say I am in my 20's :) ...

Hope that Helps

Sunflower1

Hi OuiselG

I have just got back from the Gemini so I can give you a run down.... The massages were amazing you could just turn up on the day.. however when i went the boat was only 50% full.

The best places to go.... Penang (trishaw tour..) Poda Island (Beach bumming tour) , Phuket (Patong Beach tour...) and Langkawi (cable car tour...) I would not bother with KL it is one hour from Port and it was hot and not that nice in general...

If you have any q's feel free to ask...

sunflower1

Hi Sunflower1

Thanks for your update........do you remember how much the massages cost? Also, I know they vary in price but what sort of figure would I be looking at for the tours? I am sorry to ask but I need to figure out how much to budget on!!!:)

Can't wait for our trip - it is a surprise for my husband and he has absolutely no idea! (It's his 40th birthday pressie!!!)

One other thing, did you take Aussie dollars or did you take other currencies with you? Was it hard to change the money (and were the fee for changing really high?).

Hi Sunflower1

Thanks for your update........do you remember how much the massages cost? Also, I know they vary in price but what sort of figure would I be looking at for the tours? I am sorry to ask but I need to figure out how much to budget on!!!:)

Can't wait for our trip - it is a surprise for my husband and he has absolutely no idea! (It's his 40th birthday pressie!!!)

One other thing, did you take Aussie dollars or did you take other currencies with you? Was it hard to change the money (and were the fee for changing really high?).

Just wondered if the bombings in Bangkok would impact on the various Itineraries of Gemini and Virgo?

We have friends booked on one of the Virgo cruises that calls in to Bangkok, just wondered if anyone, especially Mike, had any knowledge?

Regards, BJC

Just wondered if the bombings in Bangkok would impact on the various Itineraries of Gemini and Virgo?

We have friends booked on one of the Virgo cruises that calls in to Bangkok, just wondered if anyone, especially Mike, had any knowledge?

Regards, BJC

Hi Bruce,

I do not think that those unfortunate bombings in Bangkok will affect the itineraries of Star Cruises ships.

But just to be certain, I have already contacted SC and am awaiting their reply regarding this matter.

Will post again when I have news.

Best,

Mike

HAPPY NEW YEAR

Hi Mike,

Thanks for that, what is the matter with these people, what do they think they will achieve with all this death and destruction, the World is going to the dogs!:mad:

Anyway a very happy New Year to you also, lets hope for a better year with less of this carry on, and lets hope all your plans and dreams come to fruition.:)

Look forward to hearing of any news you get from SC.

Regards, Bruce

Hi Bruce and everyone,

I have heard from Star Cruises and they said that SuperStar Gemini and Virgo will not be calling at Bangkok (Laem Chabang) until July of this year and feel that by that time they should not be affected, barring any unforseen circumstances.

Knowing Star Cruises as I do, I can assure everyone that when it comes to the safety and well being of passengers, crew and ships, safety is their number one priority. If for any reason they feel there is any concerns in July and onwards, they will make an announcement regarding this prior to any sailings.

Regards,

Mike

I hope this is the right thread (I’m a newbie)

I confess I’m not a cruise fanatic. I just want to have a good holiday. I do a lot of traveling for work and usually our gang fly to where I’m staying for our family holiday. So I suppose we are well traveled, however we have not been on a cruise before and even this time it happened by default (lost booking). Pleasing everyone or even finding a decent compromise is next to impossible

The Little Madam (6) just wants water, sand and a bucket. Our son (8) just wants to play with his Play Station. His big sister (12) wants Foxtel and to see the Petronas towers in KL. Her even bigger sister (16) wants the backpacker experience in Phuket, but without the backpack and with enough hot water to boil all the tea in China. My wife doesn’t care as long as I organize it all. What I want is no stress, good food and a bar with stress-free people that also like good food. (no I’m not an alcoholic I’m a social drinker) So finding a holiday to suit everyone is difficult. The travel agency lost our booking to Thailand they suggested a cruise on the Gemini.

I have read as much info and reviews from as many forums as possible, to be honest with the exception of this forum there isn’t a lot of info out there. Regardless, I have been very happy with the reviews I have read so far. So we are flying up to Singapore and then cruising to KL, Langkawi, Krabi, Phuket, Penang and back to Singapore.

I have some questions that I hope you can help me with. The first one being, is it likely that this cruise will come close to filling the above criteria.

Best regards Awbeg

PS I wear a suit all year I really don't want to wear one on holiday!

I have heard from Star Cruises and they said that SuperStar Gemini and Virgo will not be calling at Bangkok (Laem Chabang) until July of this year and feel that by that time they should not be affected, barring any unforseen circumstances.

Thanks Mike, I will pass this on to our Friends, I am quite sure that SC take no chances with Safety, I am very confident Cruising with them.

Regards, Bruce

Hi there Awbeg and Family,

Welcome to the Gemini Family, and yes this is the right place for your questions, there are a number of well traveled Cruisers here to help you.

While not being as seasoned a Cruiser as others, for what it’s worth I believe that you probably could not have chosen a better way to start your cruising experiences, especially with a “family”, of various ages, in tow.

I believe that the “freestyle” type of Cruising that Gemini has to offer fits your bill for most of your food and beverage criteria, and for you non-suit requirement, however there will be one so called “formal” night for the Captains Dinner, where at least a collared shirt and tie is required, and with the air-conditioning might I recommend a blazer style jacket that you can ware with this and open neck shirts.

The “Little Madam” will have the pool but no Sand on Gemini that I am aware off, but when she goes ashore I’m sure she will find some to satisfy her needs.:)

If number 1 Son brings his own Play Station then he needs no more, however from memory they have a Video Arcade for the “afflicted” on the Gemini!:p

Don’t know how number two Daughter will get on with regards to “Foxtel”, they have TV on board but just what you will get I don’t recall, however it might help is she speaks Malay?;)

Number 1 Daughter I am sure will enjoy herself to the max, there will be so much to do, would you believe we had about 100 plus year 12 girls about her age on our Cruise on a “School Camp” boy did they have fun, especially the Karaoke, and the Shows, and just making like a movie star out and about!

If it is as good as our previous cruise on Gemini, you will not find fault with the food, and with the various choices should please everyone’s tastes, and if not just ask for something different.

There are a number of Bars that will be happy to serve you your favorite tipple, and I am informed that the prices are reasonable, by “Hotel” price standards, and by the way, some people have been known to sneak on board a bottle of Duty Free “rubbing alcohol” for personal use in their cabins, although while this is not condoned by Star Cruises, it is not a “flogging” offence, just be aware they will x-ray your hand luggage, wink, wink, nudge, nudge!;)

Cruising can be as busy and or as relaxing as you want it to be, and the cruise you have chosen, with a new Port every day, is one of the best you can do, I will be very surprised if ever one of the Family doesn’t thoroughly enjoy themselves.

Hope this helps, and please free to ask any questions you have, the only silly question is the one not asked.

Best Regards, BJC

I hope this is the right thread (I’m a newbie)

I confess I’m not a cruise fanatic. I just want to have a good holiday. I do a lot of traveling for work and usually our gang fly to where I’m staying for our family holiday. So I suppose we are well traveled, however we have not been on a cruise before and even this time it happened by default (lost booking). Pleasing everyone or even finding a decent compromise is next to impossible

The Little Madam (6) just wants water, sand and a bucket. Our son (8) just wants to play with his Play Station. His big sister (12) wants Foxtel and to see the Petronas towers in KL. Her even bigger sister (16) wants the backpacker experience in Phuket, but without the backpack and with enough hot water to boil all the tea in China. My wife doesn’t care as long as I organize it all. What I want is no stress, good food and a bar with stress-free people that also like good food. (no I’m not an alcoholic I’m a social drinker) So finding a holiday to suit everyone is difficult. The travel agency lost our booking to Thailand they suggested a cruise on the Gemini.

I have read as much info and reviews from as many forums as possible, to be honest with the exception of this forum there isn’t a lot of info out there. Regardless, I have been very happy with the reviews I have read so far. So we are flying up to Singapore and then cruising to KL, Langkawi, Krabi, Phuket, Penang and back to Singapore.

I have some questions that I hope you can help me with. The first one being, is it likely that this cruise will come close to filling the above criteria.

Best regards Awbeg

PS I wear a suit all year I really don't want to wear one on holiday!

Hi Awbeg,

This is the exact cruise we did in July. You will love it. As BJC said you will need a shirt with a collar for the 'formal' night with the Captain. We didn't go because we didn't take anything formal to wear and then when we saw what people were wearing we could have got by with our wardrobe requirements. The formal night is very informal on the Gemini :D The Gemini's televisions are NTSC I think so your son's playstation may not work. There are about 15 cable channels but not all of them are English. The food is excellent on this ship and the bars are good with reasonable prices. Just make sure you tell them specifics if you want a special type of spirit. They have special kids menus as well in the dining room - just ask the staff and they will tell you what it is that night. The staff just go crazy when there are kids around especially little ones - they love them. The Gemini Bar is a good place to spend a quiet afternoon. They have board games you can book out (scrabble, monopoly and also decks of cards I think) - a lot of people go there with their kids and have some quality time and have a quiet drink or two. The kids usually meet up with others their own age so you don't see them too much. The cruise we were on there was only about 20 kids on board but they all seemed to have a great time. Mummsie :D

Hi Gayle,

Trust you had a good Christmas / New Year, hope you enjoy the Pacific Princess in a couple of weeks, we are off to Penang for a shore based holiday the following week, for us in Perth it’s cheaper for a week there, all inclusive, than to fly to Sydney!:D

Regards, Bruce

Hi everyone,

Hope you all had a Merry Christmas and that you all enjoy your cruising this New Year!

I too am saddened to hear of the bombings in Bangkok......... I was curious to find out how it would impact on our May/June cruise, but it seems that question is answered.

Mike thanks for the info. Your contacts within SC are so much more forthcoming than whomever I contacted. Guess that comes with the 'family' link. Do you think Bangkok will be replaced with another port or not? Any chance you could find out current pricings for shore tours in Ko Samui, Ho Chi Minh, Da Nang, Nha Trang, Halong Bay, Hong Kong, Kota Kinabalu and Kuching? Thanks.

Tracey. :)

Hi Tracey,

I do not think Bangkok (Laem Chabang) will be replaced/canceled unless there is an National Emergency within Thailand. Bangkok is an important and most popular call for Star Cruises ships.

As a matter of fact, I just returned from Thailand. Things are mainly back to normal, but there are army troops patrolling certain areas. I believe this was an isolated incident, as terrible as it was.

Everywhere was festive for the Holidays, and of course the revered King was celebrating his birthday. (photo below)

I'll get back to you soon Tracey regarding your inquiry about shorex pricing.

Best,

Mike

100_0016-vi.jpg?1168068530

Thank you BJC and Mummsie for your quick replies. Firstly I am not concerned about wearing a shirt with a collar because it is my normal camouflage anyway, indeed the last time I was near the sea and wore a t-shirt Greenpeace tried to push me back into the water. Of course wearing a tie is a different matter but I’ll probably suffer it because daughters number 1 and 2 and “She-who-must-be-obeyed” are now talking about getting dressy. Practically the whole family has read your replies and the excitement level has gone up a notch. The greatest discussion has surrounded excursions (I hate, with a passion, organized tours) the one that is causing the most trouble is the suggested shopping tour of KL, which whizzes by the Petronas Towers (I think it gets there too late to visit the observation deck.) Normally when I am traveling I prefer to use public transport to get around eg London, Hong Kong and even Bangkok. In S.E. Asia I prefer to hire a driver/taxi/baht-bus and go straight to whatever attraction we want to see. Thereby avoiding souvenir or shopping traps. My question is how feasible (cost, reliability and alternative methods of travel) would it be to get a taxi/whatever from Port Klang into the Petronas Towers in KL, and would I have a problem getting back in time for departure.

Regards

Awbeg

Ps It seems a shame to use a good bottle of Black Bush as rubbing alcohol but I am going to have the happiest legs on deck.

Hi Bruce and everyone,

Regards,

Mike

Hi Mike,

Sorry, I don't get it. We are meant to dock in Laem Chabang on the 23rd May. You said earlier that SC wouldn't dock there again till July........???

Info about the shorex would be appreciated. Thanks.

Tracey.

Hi Tracey,

Unfortunately, at the moment I can only give you prices for shorex in Krabi and Phuket. Let me know if you want these prices.

I will try to get the other port call shorex for you.

Regards,

Mike

Hi Tracey,

You wrote,

"Sorry, I don't get it. We are meant to dock in Laem Chabang on the 23rd May. You said earlier that SC wouldn't dock there again till July........???"

I can understand your questioning this! I am already working on a clarification from Star Cruises. Don't worry, all will be sorted out shortly.:)

Best,

Mike

Hi Mike,

Our cruise doesn't go to Krabi or Phuket, but I'm sure there'd be someone else here who might be interested in shorex prices for these ports.

I'm not stressed about Laem Chabang one way or the other......... I'll just roll with the flow.... no pun intended! We're very lucky to have you around with all this access to SC info. Thanks.

Tracey.

Tracey Hi,

You have a great outlook. This ensures you will really enjoy your cruise.

Being that this is the weekend, I have not received a reply from my contacts at Star as yet. They will reply to me during the week I am sure.

Regards,

Mike

P.S. If anyone is interested in shorex prices for Krabi and Phuket, please let me know and I will post them. I have to typr it out, as I cannot copy and paste these files.

Hi Mike,

I'm forgetting it's the weekend... sorry. I worked today, I don't usually work on a weekend, so it always throws me out.

The way I look at it, I'm going to 9 ports that I've never been to before, so I'm already in front. If, in the interests of safety, we miss one, does it really matter? Also, we've got ports every 2nd day, which I know is going to wear us out, especially in the heat. Actually Ko Samui and Laem Chabang are consecutive days, so an extra sea day is not a bad thing anyway in my book.

Tracey.

Hi there Awbeg and Family,

I take it you find Black Bush more preferable to Tiger Balm then, a little Irish over the local product? I normally lash out when coming back from overseas, it’s about the only time one can afford an old single from the Highlands, I find it does wonders in relaxing aching muscles!

Speaking of things medical, we normally like to use our tried and trusted anti malarial oral vaccine of G&T when we go cruising anywhere, even when we went to Alaska, you just never know where you might find a mozzie now-a-days!:p

Now as for the Family going “dressy”, it is not a necessity to go too formal, the Gemini is just not that style of ship, however I do recall seeing “Men in Suits” and I seem to recall seeing at least one Tux, but that was the exception, and that was some time ago, however being “freestyle” it’s more or less left up to you.

Mrs C and I are in our late 50’s and like the more formal cruising, which we get with Celebrity Cruises, where a Tux and Evening Gown is a must, however we also appreciate going, what some describe as “Country Club Casual”, when cruising on Gemini, especially in Asia as it’s just too hot outside for suits and it just doesn’t suit the more relaxed atmosphere.

Anyway if you are not a Tie man you will only need one for the Captains Dinner, and if you don’t have a selection of ties, and if you are in Singapore prior to the Cruise, then go down to Clarke Key, there is, or was the last time we were there, a silk shop which I think it was called Isadora Silk, they sell stunning silk ties for about $3 - $5 Sing each. :)

Now about the shore excursions, there will be someone that will probably answer this who has been more recently than we have, however for what it’s worth, while not having the passionate hate of organized Tours you have, we also like to do our own thing and use public transport, having said that the likes of HK, London, Singapore, and even Penang and Rome have wonderful public transport systems, and are simple and inexpensive to use, as such we would use them.

However I recall that Port Klang to KL is 40 Km and took about 1.1/2 hours by the Gemini excursion bus, going via the scenic route, of course there are other methods, and this web site may give you another idea. http://wikitravel.org/en/Port_Klang

One thing I will say however, on our Gemini cruise there was a family that in one port they went off did their own thing, I think it was in Penang, anyway they were not on the wharf when we were due to depart, and from memory they were given 10 minutes grace and then we departed, with them left to find their way to Phuket to rejoin us there.:eek:

If I recall it’s as much to with the port costs, I think someone said that the extra 10 minutes cost Star 10,000 Ringgit, so they don’t wait for stragglers.

Like you said, I would talk to your TA and get a recommendation, and or get on the internet and find a reputable Tour Company in Malaysia, and have them meet you on the wharf with a 8 seat mini bus and have them take you to where you want to go, and just pay for the vehicle and driver, and by specifying the time you want to be back at the port you have the safety of not relying on public transport.

Again like you eluded to, the only thing I must say is up front tell them you don’t want to visit their brothers “Whatever” Factory, I don’t care where you go in the world, they all, including the Ship’s Excursions, will take you somewhere to relieve you of your money!

As for the other Ports of Call, You could easily do your own thing in Penang, from memory just outside of where you dock is the free shuttle bus that does a circuit of George Town, get on to the Penang Tourist web site and get all the info.

There are also a number of tour companies that will provide a mini bus and driver for a reasonable cost if you wanted to tour the Island, or go to specific places such as the Funicular Railway up Penang Hill or to visit Kek Lok Si Temple and the like, or just go shopping!;)

From memory the place where we dock in Phuket was some distance from anywhere, but that may have changed, someone might be able to update you on what to do there, as well as Langkawi, can’t help with Krabi, as we didn’t stop there.

Anyway I’m sure someone will assist you with your questions, and I’m glad the hear that you are all starting to get a bit excited about your holiday cruise, also keep the questions coming, anything that might help you to make the most of your experiences can’t be anything but a good thing, and most people who post here are very positive, which helps.

Regards, Bruce