Port of Leith to Edinburgh....and back

cbb

I've search the "shuttle thread" and didn't find any reference.  We are leaving the ship this summer in Southampton, taking the train to Edinburgh, seeing the Festival/Edinburgh Tattoo, and then rejoining the ship when it arrives in Leith/Edinburgh. 

Does anyone remember if there is a shuttle that takes one from port to Edinburgh?  I've researched the topic and sometimes there is a mention of a shuttle, especially during Tattoo/Festival Days but then others are suggesting a taxi, bus, or the HOHO bus which picks up cruise passengers to take into town. 

It is too far to walk.  We'd only need it for our return to port and will only have a backpack each--no other luggage but others have also wondered about shuttle. (roll call not a help)

Had this information in my files from a 2015 British Isles cruise:

https://www.cruiseforth.com/content/leith-transit/

We actually anchored at Newhaven, just outside Leith.  Took taxis into the city and back for about 10 -12 BPS each way.  We were there again in 2017, just went by shuttle from Newhaven docks to the Britannia at Leith. But other took the taxi or public buses into Edinburgh.

When we were in Leith on the Nautica  about 2 years ago, there was no shuttle.  However, a number of buses (routes 22, 34 and 35) run from the port in Leith to the Waverley rail station in Edinburgh.  The ride is about 30 minutes and the cost about 1.60 pounds.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, cbb said:

I've search the "shuttle thread" and didn't find any reference.  We are leaving the ship this summer in Southampton, taking the train to Edinburgh, seeing the Festival/Edinburgh Tattoo, and then rejoining the ship when it arrives in Leith/Edinburgh. 

Does anyone remember if there is a shuttle that takes one from port to Edinburgh?  I've researched the topic and sometimes there is a mention of a shuttle, especially during Tattoo/Festival Days but then others are suggesting a taxi, bus, or the HOHO bus which picks up cruise passengers to take into town. 

It is too far to walk.  We'd only need it for our return to port and will only have a backpack each--no other luggage but others have also wondered about shuttle. (roll call not a help)

Actually Port of Leith, or just "Leith" to the locals,  is actually within the Edinburgh  metropolitan neighbourhood . It is just between 18-23 mins by bus to Princess Street and the "West End", the downtown Edinburgh tourist area .  The iconic Edinburgh Castle is situated within walking distance, and you can see it from Princess Street (it is very hard to miss!) . So docking in Leith is quite good.

I think the bus numbers to take  is 1, 11, 22, 34, 35, and 36 (yes, there are plenty of buses!) . But for more details and bus times, go to https://www.lothianbuses.com/live-travel-info/journey-planner/

If you take a bus in Edinburgh, the single bus fare is £1.70 . MAKE SURE  YOU HAVE THE CORRECT MONEY AS NO CHANGE IS GIVEN.  A unlimited travel one day ticket is £4.00.  Most buses are Lothian bus, so if you buy a day ticket, it is only valid on other Lothian buses. Other bus companies have day tickets too but they do not accept Lothian bus day tickets.

The other thing about Edinburgh is the weather can be quite unpredictable. Some people have claimed the weather changes several times a day. So make sure you take your umbrella with you even if it looks sunny when you leave the ship.

The other thing to be aware of is the Scottish pound. Although it has the same value as the English pound notes, they look different. You can still use English pound notes (and coins ) in Scotland.

• Like 1

Gnoeli 

wow....what a wealth of info your reply has!  Thank you so much!!!  I had seen references to the bus # that might work for us, and getting your feedback was great!

good to know about the money.  We aim to hit the ATM at the rail station in Southampton.  I've found 4 diy walking tours that will take us to see the sights of beautiful Edinburgh--both "Old" and "New."

We've been there before and think it is one of the most beautiful settings for an ancient town we've ever seen. 

thanks again! 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, cbb said:

Gnoeli 

wow....what a wealth of info your reply has!  Thank you so much!!!  I had seen references to the bus # that might work for us, and getting your feedback was great!

good to know about the money.  We aim to hit the ATM at the rail station in Southampton.  I've found 4 diy walking tours that will take us to see the sights of beautiful Edinburgh--both "Old" and "New."

We've been there before and think it is one of the most beautiful settings for an ancient town we've ever seen. 

thanks again! 

Just re-read your original message and realised you are taking the train to Edinburgh, and you wished to know how to get from Edinburgh to your ship in Leith.

The information I have given you will be the same, except that the bus services will be going in the opposite direction (from Edinburgh/Princess Street to Leith, rather than from Leith to Edinburgh/Princess Street).

Oh, if you have a mobile/cell phone, you could even download an App for Edinburgh buses to get the correct times "live". The City of Edinburgh also have free Wifi service.

As you like to see the "Old" and "New" towns of Edinburgh (the "New" Town was built between 1760-1830, so you can imagine how old the Old Town could be!)  , if you remember during your last visit, some of the streets are still cobbled and some can be quite hilly, so walking long distances can be a wee bit of a challenge. If you are tired, you can still take a bus back. You can get a free bus map from the Lothian Bus Travel Shop https://www.lothianbuses.com/travelshops/

Another "spot" which most tourists do not know  (but the locals do) , is to take an idyllic walk along the Waterway of Leith.  It splits the Old Town and the New Town. Certain parts of the walk may be closed at the moment due to landslip, but updated details may be found at http://www.waterofleith.org.uk/walkway/ and https://www.edinburghguide.com/parks/waterofleith . It may be repaired by the time you visit the city this summer, please check it out first. You could actually get onto the Waterway from Old Town Edinburgh, and get back  up at Roseburn. From Roseburn, you can take one of the many buses back to town, just 5mins ride . Once you get down onto this walkway, with running water and luscious trees, you could be forgiven to think that you are in the country,   many miles away from the hustle and bustle of the city. On a nice day, it is absolutely beautiful.

Enjoy your time in Edinburgh. 

Edited by Gnoelj
  • Like 2

Gnoelj: 

again, so much great information.  Thank you and it has been added to my research document!  The Leith walk has been included in places to consider walking...and we don't worry about rain.  We have industrial ponchos that cover us and our cameras....we're not fashionable but the camera and the body from head to knees are mostly dry!!!

i spotted this today in my research on walking tours:   "Back along Waterloo Place is the Old Calton Burying Ground and its Emancipation Monument and statue of Abe Lincoln to honor Scottish-American Civil War soldiers" which for Americans is very appropriate today; It is President Lincoln's birthday!  Thanks again

• Like 1

We’ve been to Edinburgh several times, once on a land tour to see the Tatoo.  It is a marvelous event and lived up to the hype. 

Terminology, names, ports, rail lines, pronunciations are confusing in Scotland.  But once you get to the Royal Mile you cannot get lost.  I hope you can get into the castle during the day.  

On oceania we were berthed in Rosythe.  The port officials were incredibly helpful to all and they ran free shuttle buses to the rail line and to a neighboring town.   They had a great web site and I communicated with the locals before arrival.  The port of Leith May offer similiar tourist services. 

Enjoy 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gnoelj said:

You can still use English pound notes (and coins ) in Scotland.

Not so much the other way around :classic_angry:

Cynthia - try not to get “stuck” with too much Scottish money - ask for English pounds in stores whenever possible if you are given Scottish pounds (unless you want souvenirs 🙂)

As sammiedawg said - you will love Edinburgh (and the Tattoo).

Edited by Paulchili
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, cbb said:

Gnoelj: 

again, so much great information.  Thank you and it has been added to my research document!  The Leith walk has been included in places to consider walking...and we don't worry about rain.  We have industrial ponchos that cover us and our cameras....we're not fashionable but the camera and the body from head to knees are mostly dry!!!

i spotted this today in my research on walking tours:   "Back along Waterloo Place is the Old Calton Burying Ground and its Emancipation Monument and statue of Abe Lincoln to honor Scottish-American Civil War soldiers" which for Americans is very appropriate today; It is President Lincoln's birthday!  Thanks again

If you are going to the Old Carlton Burying Ground, it would be worth your effort to walk UP Carlton Hill, almost next to it. Once on the hill, you will be rewarded with a PANORAMIC VIEW of the City of Edinburgh including the Edinburgh Castle, it is the favorite spot of many travel photographers.

Edited by Gnoelj
  • Like 1

For more information about the Port of Leith/ Leith Edinburgh Cruise Terminal, and how to get there from the City of Edinburgh, etc, go to: https://www.cruisemapper.com/ports/leith-edinburgh-port-116 . There is a map which shows you how close it is to downtown Edinburgh (the "West End").

Actually www.cruisemapper.com has lots of information of practically any cruise port around the world. It would be a good place to start to find out information about any future ports you may be visiting for  your cruises.

Edited by Gnoelj

Thanks everybody for such great advice.  We've been to Edinburgh before and as I said we think it is a wonderful ancient city and we can't wait to go again...it's been a few years. 

We do aim to try and climb the Carlton Hill since I had read about the beautiful views from there; we hope to do it early one of the mornings we're there just for that lovely light. 

thanks for the cruisemapper site.  We've used whatsinport.com often so we'll go to cruisemapper and check it out.  I love to do research so now I have a new source! 

Thanks Paul for warning me about the $$--perhaps we can use it for tips if we have some left over.   

y'all are the best!