Connoisseurs Corner

Shack2112

Sailing on Silver Wind fairly soon (February 21, 2019) and have to say that I am starting to get very excited.

Would anyone have a connoisseurs list that they might be willing to share. Would be interested to see their specialty selection including cigars.

Much appreciated

Shack

1 hour ago, Shack2112 said:

Sailing on Silver Wind fairly soon (February 21, 2019) and have to say that I am starting to get very excited.

Would anyone have a connoisseurs list that they might be willing to share. Would be interested to see their specialty selection including cigars.

Much appreciated

Shack

Don’t have cigars but can give you the Wind wine list from last April if that’s what you are looking for.

Hey Spectre, what ship was that wine list from?  It looks different from the one I've seen on the Shadow as recent as last September.  In particular, I drank heavily from the California chardonnay list, and the Far Niente chardonnay has been $80 on the Shadow for at least 2 years.  Also, the dessert section has had a Hungarian Tokaji for ... I can't remember, either $45 or $60 that has been the winner in that category; better in my taste than the 2006 d'Yquem, which, I should point out, has been the d'Yquem on the Shadow menu for quite a while.  (at $250, as I remember)

6 hours ago, rpfarris said:

Hey Spectre, what ship was that wine list from?  It looks different from the one I've seen on the Shadow as recent as last September.  In particular, I drank heavily from the California chardonnay list, and the Far Niente chardonnay has been $80 on the Shadow for at least 2 years.  Also, the dessert section has had a Hungarian Tokaji for ... I can't remember, either $45 or $60 that has been the winner in that category; better in my taste than the 2006 d'Yquem, which, I should point out, has been the d'Yquem on the Shadow menu for quite a while.  (at $250, as I remember)

Silver Wind in April 2018

These are all stunning wines - though I would like to flag that a moving ocean liner isn't the best place to store vintage wine???

Please may I ask - before our 1st ever cruise on the Muse to Alaska - how close to this level of quality are the wines which are available with meals etc without extra payment? Especially the USA wines (my favourite Chardonnays and Cabernets)?

1 hour ago, worldtraveller99 said:

These are all stunning wines - though I would like to flag that a moving ocean liner isn't the best place to store vintage wine???

Please may I ask - before our 1st ever cruise on the Muse to Alaska - how close to this level of quality are the wines which are available with meals etc without extra payment? Especially the USA wines (my favourite Chardonnays and Cabernets)?

That totally depends on your taste, there is a very reasonable selection of free pours, but most are in the $10-$15 range.

Thank you Silver Spectre - is that a per bottle retail price? I shall wait and see! (though interested there seems to be nothing between $15 a bottle and $50 a bottle?

The only thing I have to compare is our recent river cruise - with only Romanian wine etc given at meals probably costing $3 a bottle, and awful!

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, worldtraveller99 said:

how close to this level of quality are the wines which are available with meals etc without extra payment? Especially the USA wines (my favourite Chardonnays and Cabernets)?

Wente Chard and Cab are what was served in the Grill when we asked for an American pour from the free list.

19 hours ago, worldtraveller99 said:

...though interested there seems to be nothing between $15 a bottle and $50 a bottle?

You can have all the Heidsieck Monopole that you’d like.  Below are the wines being poured in La Terrazza and The Grill this past week.

A6601EA8-395A-4C1B-B1C6-E0C031A5E9E0.jpeg

00CC45D7-29E4-4923-8CA6-7E32FE922E6D.jpeg

0178B8C8-9698-4168-9362-49F5D8D2CBAD.jpeg

FAC9B07C-09A8-4708-8135-EAB7CBD322BF.jpeg

Shack2112, hopefully you saw the current connoisseur list I posted today and can compare to Mr. Silver’s for any changes.

WorldTraveller99, below is a pic of last night’s free pour in La Terrazza.  It typically retails for $25 in the states.  It was as a great match with the risotto and branzino.

2AB721E3-DAE1-4D78-A51D-A13064CF25E8.jpeg