New Civitavecchia-Rome Express Train April 1 2019

euro cruiser

On 4/4/2022 at 7:10 AM, euro cruiser said:

I'm happy to do that but right now we really don't have much information.  There is only the one train per day in each direction on the schedule and they're not even marketing it as the Civitavecchia Express.  There's nothing I've seen in the press releases from FSI/Trenitalia about a 2022 update.

This train was developed to address complaints by citizens about severe overcrowding on the regional trains, exacerbated (but not caused) by cruise passengers.  Unfortunately, the solution they came up with isn't very attractive to port visit passengers (the majority of cruisers at Civitavecchia) so it didn't make an impact.   As it was introduced in February 2019 it only had one season of trial before the world came to a screeching halt a year later so we're left guessing what their assessment has been of the experiment.

Are they even able to add an earlier run in the morning, to fit better with port day visits?  Track limitations may be an issue.

Train service is not back to Pre-Covid levels, we may get some answers with the mid-year schedule update due in June.

I'm about 60 days out. Would you recommend we get online and purchase the tix for the train, or do we wait a bit longer? (Forgive me, I'm pretty sure you told us when to do this, but my brain is fried with all the information and I'm trying to get it all straight.) Thanks so much!

On 4/10/2022 at 12:36 PM, euro cruiser said:

Remind me again what you're looking to do.  Is this a day trip to Rome or the end or the beginning of your cruise? 

Also, where in Rome are you headed, or from where in Rome will you be leaving?

We'll be there in June - a day before our cruise. We're staying near the Coliseum. Then we'll stay a day after as well - near the Vatican. 

Thanks so much. I truly appreciate your help.

1 hour ago, trotzoll said:

We'll be there in June - a day before our cruise. We're staying near the Coliseum. Then we'll stay a day after as well - near the Vatican. 

Okay.  Well, for the trip out before your cruise the Civitavecchia Express probably won't work because it doesn't arrive in Civitavecchia until 4:30 in the afternoon, which I'm guessing is too late for check in.

If you want to go by train and you want the ease of an assigned seat, there are Frecce trains that get you there in less than 50 minutes for between 11 - 16 euros (16 is full fare).  There is one at 11:57 and another at 13:57 that would get you there in time for check in.  These trains all leave from Rome Termini station, the main station, and they make no stops before Civitavecchia.

For the return the CE might work for you.  The morning train departs Civitavecchia at 10:20 and arrives to Roma S. Pietro at 11:03.  You would have a guaranteed (but not assigned) seat and the train makes no stops between Civitavecchia and S. Pietro, the fare is 10 euro.

Keep in mind that you'll need to get to the station and from the station at both ends, so unless you're ready to hoof it that will add to the total cost.

Edited by euro cruiser

On 4/13/2022 at 10:23 PM, euro cruiser said:

Okay.  Well, for the trip out before your cruise the Civitavecchia Express probably won't work because it doesn't arrive in Civitavecchia until 4:30 in the afternoon, which I'm guessing is too late for check in.

If you want to go by train and you want the ease of an assigned seat, there are Frecce trains that get you there in less than 50 minutes for between 11 - 16 euros (16 is full fare).  There is one at 11:57 and another at 13:57 that would get you there in time for check in.  These trains all leave from Rome Termini station, the main station, and they make no stops before Civitavecchia.

For the return the CE might work for you.  The morning train departs Civitavecchia at 10:20 and arrives to Roma S. Pietro at 11:03.  You would have a guaranteed (but not assigned) seat and the train makes no stops between Civitavecchia and S. Pietro, the fare is 10 euro.

Keep in mind that you'll need to get to the station and from the station at both ends, so unless you're ready to hoof it that will add to the total cost.

Perfect. Thank you so much. I put all this into a spreadsheet so I'll have it.