Where to stay close to Amsterdam airport, apart from Amsterdam?

OzNaiNai

We (dad & I) are flying out of Amsterdam 14 April, had planned on spending first night after our river cruise 7/4 & last 2 nights of our trip 12-14 April in Amsterdam. But, 

hotels are 4x more than usual on 12-14 April due to a GEO conference in Amsterdam. (Amazingly, There is also a Jewellers conference in Basel the week before our river cruise with similar hike in Hotel costs. 😕)

Can anyone suggest other places we can stay the last night or 2 of our trip, close to Amsterdam airport?

We’ll be in The Hague before heading to Amsterdam, so I could extend our stay there, but would like to be closer to the airport for the last night. Our flight is in the afternoon, but Amsterdam to Australia takes over 28hours & Dad is 89. 

You may wish to have a look at Leiden.  It is around 20 minutes on the train from the airport in the opposite direction to Amsterdam.  There are many trains which run to Leiden and then onto other areas of the Netherlands, hence trains are running very frequently.  There are a few hotels just five minutes walk from the train station, I have stayed at the Golden Tulip Leiden many times, and it is very convenient.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, OzNaiNai said:

We’ll be in The Hague before heading to Amsterdam, so I could extend our stay there, but would like to be closer to the airport for the last night. Our flight is in the afternoon ...

Unless you stay at Schiphol airport itself, it's probably about the same amount of time and hassle to get from The Hague to the airport as it is to get from central Amsterdam to the airport. After all, it's only half an hour by direct train from The Hague to the airport (compared to 15-20 minutes from Amsterdam Centraal), and the train journey itself is only part of the time and hassle of moving from one place to another.

In those circumstances, unless you're going to stay at the airport itself the night before the flight, I can't see the value in packing up and moving the day before the flight, and then packing up and moving again on the day of the flight, when both moves are going to take the same amount of time and hassle. If you had an early flight, then there might be an argument for staying at the airport, but as you've got most of the day to make the short trip, what's the point?

12 hours ago, Guernseycruiser said:

You may wish to have a look at Leiden.  It is around 20 minutes on the train from the airport in the opposite direction to Amsterdam.

Aren't The Hague, Leiden and the airport all on the same side of Amsterdam, ie roughly to the south-west of the city?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Globaliser said:

Unless you stay at Schiphol airport itself, it's probably about the same amount of time and hassle to get from The Hague to the airport as it is to get from central Amsterdam to the airport. After all, it's only half an hour by direct train from The Hague to the airport (compared to 15-20 minutes from Amsterdam Centraal), and the train journey itself is only part of the time and hassle of moving from one place to another.

Thanks. I’ve never been to Europe before, i have to remember, it’s so much smaller than Australia & has a better rail system.

I’ll have to keep in mind that travelling in The Netherlands (As far as size & ease to get places) is more like travelling in Japan than Australia.

i had hoped to leave our suitcases at the hotel in Amsterdam, while we did a quick trip to Paris & The Hague.

We plan to only have carry on size bags, but both of us use mobility aids as well. Maybe instead of a carry on size suitcase each, we should share one larger suitcase? That way Dad won’t have to worry about a suitcase, just his walker or Travelscoot.

Leiden is a great suggestion if you want to travel between The Hague and Schiphol Airport. As said above, extending The Hague is an option too if you want less hassle.

Leiden is an old canal town, sometimes called Small Amsterdam (but nowhere near the size of Amsterdam, or crowds!). Public transport is all around and all of the hotels are at intermediate walking distance, very compact city center.

My suggestion would be a lovely boutique or canal house hotel like; 

http://www.boutiquehoteldeoudemorsch.nl/en/ (1 minute away from the Ibis Hotel, at the backside, not a canal house but located in an older building near one of the city gates landmarks and a windmill, great views and surroundings)

https://www.steenhofsuites.nl/en/ (a true canal house, nearby one of the greatest canal of the city, the Rapenburg canal. A longer walk but if you walk the 15-20 minutes from the Centraal Station following the Rapenburg canal you will think you're back in Amsterdam).

Both are conveniently close to shops, cozy restaurants, bus stops and lots of bicycles. :classic_biggrin: Either hotel will give you the same chances of visiting sites, musea, they're 8-10 minutes by foot away from each other. The Morsch hotel is 4 minutes by foot from the station, public transport would be inefficient/still have a 3 minute walk.

If you stay at Leiden a visit to the world famour Keukenhof flower park is a possibility;  https://keukenhof.nl/en/

Public transport (direct bus) in front of the Centraal Station/Ibis Hotel, bus can be packed on peak hours (be sure to be early!).

And being a bit closer to Schiphol is an advantage in case of unforeseen circumstances but as said by other poster, nothing big.

Feel free to ask!

Fom north to south:

Amsterdam Centraal Station - Schiphol: 10km

Schiphol - Leiden Centraal Station: 25km

Leiden Centraal Station - Den Haag Centraal Station: 15km

Edited by FreestyleNovice

Sounds like a lovely trip with your dad!

My husband is Dutch and we've done all sorts of hoteling when not with family.

Given that extremely long flight home and your dad's age, I would recommend staying right at Schiphol. We usually don't have to do it, but my family swears by the Sheraton at Schihpol. Wonderful hotel and literally steps from the terminal.

https://www.marriott.com/reservation/rateListMenu.mi?defaultTab=prepay

My husband (flying solo) has also stayed at Citizen M at Schiphol. It is a much younger vibe and the rooms are absolutely teeny, but extremely comfortable. They're just managed to use the space to the max.

https://www.citizenm.com/destinations/amsterdam/schiphol-airport-hotel?utm_source=tripadvisor&utm_medium=buslist&utm_campaign=buslisttop

All that said, my husband is from The Hague and I am very fond of that town.....

Edited by gratamama
spelling
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, FreestyleNovice said:

Leiden is an old canal town, sometimes called Small Amsterdam (but nowhere near the size of Amsterdam, or crowds!). Public transport is all around and all of the hotels are at intermediate walking distance, very compact city center.

My suggestion would be a lovely boutique or canal house hotel like; 

http://www.boutiquehoteldeoudemorsch.nl/en/ (1 minute away from the Ibis Hotel, at the backside, not a canal house but located in an older building near one of the city gates landmarks and a windmill, great views and surroundings)

https://www.steenhofsuites.nl/en/ (a true canal house, nearby one of the greatest canal of the city, the Rapenburg canal. A longer walk but if you walk the 15-20 minutes from the Centraal Station following the Rapenburg canal you will think you're back in Amsterdam).

Love your accommodation suggestions, but we need a lift or ground floor room as Dad would have trouble with flights of stairs. It’d be lovely to stay in a canal house, on a houseboat or friendly B&B, but imagine they don’t come with elevators for Dad. He has a mobility scooter. Would he be able to get on a tram or train with his mobility scooter? It’s a Travelscoot, weighs 15kg & folds like a baby’s umbrella stroller.

Our river cruise disembarks in Amsterdam 7/4 & we fly home from Schiphol 14/7. Dad wants to go to Paris, so that will take 3 days/2 nights (train-private tour-return 2 Netherlands) & I want to attend a Quilt show at De Broodfabriek, Rijswijk, Zuid-Holland.

with what’s been said here it may be easier to base ourselves in Leiden, except for the 2 nights in Paris.

I’m not looking to do touristy stuff, if I could I’d love to live like a local, I prefer to eat where the locals eat, try foods we don’t have at home. See how different living in the Netherlands is to living in Australia. I only have a week so this is not going to be possible.

Open to recommendations for accommodation & places to eat. Our budget is limited so looking for budget to mid-priced.

Thanks for all your suggestions. This will be my last trip with Dad so want to make it special.

• Like 1

Leiden it is? :classic_smile:

The Morspoort hotel has a ground floor room for sure, https://www.boutiquehoteldeoudemorsch.nl/en/rooms/large-superior/. You should inform with Steenhofsuites. Leiden is very manageable for a scooter, 

Traveling by train with a scooter; https://www.ns.nl/en/travel-information/traveling-with-a-functional-disability/extra-facilities-train-station.html

There's free assistance but has to be pre-booked as far as I know. The Intercity trains have a step, the stoptrains called Sprinter are level floored but have to cross the gap between platform and train.

No trams in Leiden, trams in Amsterdam may vary, see https://en.gvb.nl/reizen/toegankelijk-ov. If your dad can manage one or two steps and you can fold the scooter you will be fine everywhere.

Within walking distance of both hotels you will find plenty of nice cozy and affordable restaurants. Near Steenhof Suites is La Bota, an eatery which attracts a mixed crowd enjoying low priced meals and even al fresco in spring and summer on their small courtyard. Directly behind the Morspoort gate is the Morsstraat with terraces and restaurants. Further to the city center you will even can't choose which restaurant. Pick at least one of the next; Waag, Dende, Annie's (eatery), Stadthouder, Einstein (eatery), Aan de Rijn, all along the canal. 

Enjoy lunch on one of the many terrace boats, make a canal tour by boat if possible or let a guide let you show the city; https://www.accessibletravelnl.com/travel/Guided-accessible-tour-in-Leiden

Here's some general info about Leiden; https://en.wikivoyage.org/wiki/Leiden and a good impression on YouTube; 

The first shots are all in the direct area of the Morspoort (the gate can be seen at 0:08). All the other points of interest are inside the so called "singels" waters, meant as a defense in the dark ages. You can clearly see the destinct singels on Google Maps.

Choosing Leiden over Amsterdam will be beneficial in more quality time, less travel time to Rijswijk, less crowds, a way more compact city, even more travel-able than Amsterdam and still giving you the overall impression of an old city with rich culture and more than enough memories.

For the Thalys(I assume?) train to Paris you will have to travel to Schiphol (15 minutes by train from Leiden). Schiphol is better getting around with luggage and your dad than Amsterdam Centraal for the Thalys. Another option is Rotterdam Centraal station to the south but that's a 30 minute ride which you could be enjoying the in the Thalys sipping a coffee..

1 hour ago, FreestyleNovice said:

If the smaller hotels can't accommodate your needs there still is the Ibis across the Centraal Station, relatively small for a chain hotel but does come with all facilities.

I've enjoyed all your recommendations, as well!

• Thanks 1

On 2/16/2019 at 4:26 AM, FreestyleNovice said:

Leiden it is? :classic_smile:

The Morspoort hotel has a ground floor room for sure, https://www.boutiquehoteldeoudemorsch.nl/en/rooms/large-superior/.

Choosing Leiden over Amsterdam will be beneficial in more quality time, less travel time to Rijswijk, less crowds, a way more compact city, even more travel-able than Amsterdam and still giving you the overall impression of an old city with rich culture and more than enough memories.

For the Thalys(I assume?) train to Paris you will have to travel to Schiphol (15 minutes by train from Leiden). Schiphol is better getting around with luggage and your dad than Amsterdam Centraal for the Thalys. Another option is Rotterdam Centraal station to the south but that's a 30 minute ride which you could be enjoying the in the Thalys sipping a coffee..

‘Thanks so much for all your advice. I booked 3 nights at Boutique de’Oude Morsch, looking forward to staying there and trying out some of those lovely looking restaurants and cafes in the area. Do you have any suggestions for breakfast?

I’ll have to find somewhere else for the last few days of my trip as it already booked on those dates, not sure if I’ll return to Leiden after visiting Paris or stay in Den Haag instead. I hope to leave a suitcase at Boutique de’Oude Morsch, while we visit Paris for 2 nights, so will have to call in to Leiden to collect it. Leiden looks like such a pretty place.

yes Thalys sounds more comfortable for Dad. Not sure whether to book 1st or 2nd class. If it was just me I’d book 2nd. 

Great! Did you got the ground floor room? A stone throw's away from Rembrandt's birthplace, a windmill, a canal with a bridge and an historic city gate, did someone say hidden gem? :classic_smile:

Breakfast: 

Vlot, www.vlotleiden.nl

3 minutes from Boutique de'Oude Morsch, small breakfast menu as breakfast isn't such a thing in the smaller places in Europe.

It's a pointy boat/barge with terraces and a view of the Galgewater (Gallows Water..... :classic_wink:😞

If you walk further into the old city center (Route: Hotel - Morsstraat - Vlot cafe - Apothekersdijk - Aalmarkt (Yoghurt Barn on Aalmarkt 19) and further towards the City Hall you will find several options on the Botermarkt street;

Vooraf en Toe (Botermarkt 9)
Bakery Lunchroom Snijers (Botermarkt 15)

And after the Botermarkt there's Anne & Max, also the most attractive part of the center ends there too:
Anne & Max (Gangetje 2).

Do visit one of the many terraces you will see underway in the afternoon when the sun is out! Or visit one of the many museums. 

Anne & Max is also a nice place to further explore the center back towards the hotel via the Rapenburg canal (passing along Steenhof Suites), the Van der Werff park, following the Rapenburg more, perhaps with a sidestep to the Pieterskerk (where the Pilgrim Fathers lived close by) on your right or the Hortus Botanicus on your left and at the end of the Rapenburg you will see Vlot again. Of course there's much more to explore, like a canal tour (albeit less crowded and in a smaller size than Amsterdam) or rent a  small electric boat yourselves at the bridge near Vlot.

You can store luggage at Leiden Centraal station, there are unmanned lockers (card payments) in the station, maximum time is 72h. Staff is present at the ticketcounter. 

https://www.ns.nl/en/travel-information/luggage/luggage-at-the-station.html

The Ibis hotel or the Level Hotel on the opposite side of the Centraal Station might suit your needs for a good base for the last nights, a 1 minute hop over to the train and at the same time a place to re-visit some highlights or overseen places on your 2nd time. Level might offer a nice view over Leiden depending on your room (city side or not).

vlot.jpg

3 hours ago, OzNaiNai said:

yes Thalys sounds more comfortable for Dad. Not sure whether to book 1st or 2nd class. If it was just me I’d book 2nd. 

I would book 1st, they offer seat side catering, "lounge" acces, multiple language newspapers and a better personal service. Worth the small extra, take the extra comfort, less hassle. It's your holiday of a lifetime! :classic_smile:

Thanks so much FreestyleNovice!  your advice and fantastic info will make this such a memorable holiday.

I booked ‘Ibis Leiden Centre’ for the remainder of our stay except for our last night 13 April. Not sure what is happening that night but every hotel & B&B in Leiden & Haarlem, is booked except for an apartment at Flemingstraat (13, 2316 AV Leiden), so it’s either move there for our last night or a hotel near Schipol Airport. Prefer Leiden as flight is afternoon, (3.20pm, April 14) but can’t see any restaurants etc near it.,  guess pizza delivery or cooking for ourselves is an option.

thankyou so so much for your suggestions, I’m so looking forward to staying in a bit of history & exploring Leiden on our Travelscoot’s (mobility scooters). If you are in Leiden in April & see a couple scooting around, say hi.

• Like 1

The Keukenhof flower park is in full bloom around that time, between Leiden and Haarlem is the "bollenstreek" region, lots of flower fields and tulips. I had to Google the exact date but here we are: On the 13th there is a so called "bloemencorso", a street parade from the region all the way to Haarlem with beautiful floats full of flowers. Not a good day to visit the Keukenhof as the region goes in temporarily lock down for the parade route LOL. :classic_smile: But a nice sight, look up some Google Images under "bloemen corso bollenstreek" for an overall impression. Spectating the whole parade takes a while, might not be worth the trip and time.

Hopefully Ibis can accommodate you on the last night too,  wouldn't do the apartment, too far away from anything indeed. 

Did you try Holiday Inn Leiden, some of the Van der Valk hotels around Leiden too? The Level hotel is full too?

If you need an airport hotel; first try Hilton, Sheraton and Citizen M, all on the airport grounds with the first two connected to the terminal building via walkway. Or try one of the dull hotels in the office parks around Hoofddorp station, 1 minute away from Schiphol's station as a last resort.

Near Leiden there's availability at the Bastion Leiden Oegstgeest hotel, not exactly worth the 140 Euro rate  (non-ref), 160 Euro refundable with free cancellation for a three star hotel on the city limits.. you will pay around the same at Schiphol at the three posted above.  The downside of staying at Schiphol is that even with a late check out you will lose some quality hours on that last day, spending them at the airport Plaza before your flight.

On 2/21/2019 at 1:42 AM, FreestyleNovice said:

The Keukenhof flower park is in full bloom around that time, between Leiden and Haarlem is the "bollenstreek" region, lots of flower fields and tulips. I had to Google the exact date but here we are: On the 13th there is a so called "bloemencorso", a street parade from the region all the way to Haarlem with beautiful floats full of flowers. Not a good day to visit the Keukenhof as the region goes in temporarily lock down for the parade route LOL. :classic_smile: 

Hopefully Ibis can accommodate you on the last night too,  wouldn't do the apartment, too far away from anything indeed. 

Did you try Holiday Inn Leiden, some of the Van der Valk hotels around Leiden too? The Level hotel is full too?

If you need an airport hotel; first try Hilton, Sheraton and Citizen M, all on the airport grounds with the first two connected to the terminal building via walkway. Or try one of the dull hotels in the office parks around Hoofddorp station, 1 minute away from Schiphol's station as a last resort.

Thanks once again, your info is invaluable. I tried to extend our stay at Ibis Leiden Centre but they are totally booked out, so is the Level.and holiday inn etc, despite showing on some websites

Our best options are Bastion Leiden Oegstgeest, Van der Valk De Gouden Leeuw, Van der Valk Schiphol or Hilton Schipol. I’m leaning towards Hilton Schipol as it seem a bit easier for Dad, (direct train & less travelling before our long flight to Australia the following day) But on googling "bloemencorso", it seems there will be heavy traffic around Leiden station on 13 April.

We would need to travel from Leiden to Schipol, that day (13/4) with a 55cm-60cm suitcase each plus 2 mobility scooters. When would be the best time to travel to avoid the crowds? I’m assuming train would be better than taxi. It’d be nice to see the parade & flowers, but the travel and crowds would be too much for Dad to handle, especially considering our long flights (+28hrs) the following day in cattle class (economy). Can the tulip fields be seen from the train? If so, which side is it best re Leiden to Schiphol?

Edited by OzNaiNai
  • Like 1

Leiden isn't on the bloemencorso route, it might give some extra traffic with people taking the bus from Leiden Centraal to the route the parade takes but not noticeably or causing delays to your travel, it will be normal Saturday as the Keukenhof bus line also generates some snaking waiting lines at the bus station at Leiden Centraal.

With the Ibis diagonal across from the Centraal station entrance you will hop over by foot in a minute. No hassle. Direct trains every 15 minutes. There is a slight view of some tulip fields on the Leiden - Schiphol train track, ihen you pass Warmond (you will need to look that one up heh, as it's not a station), after leaving the northern urban area of Leiden, the train will go in to a long gentle curve before ending parallel to the A44 motorway on the left heading to Sassenheim station (stop trains only) and onto Schiphol. In that curve you will have a very very short view of some tulip fields, they will pass by in a second. Either side is fine, perpahs left might be the best but you might manage to see both sides as the train seating is not in compartments. I will make a Maps screenshot if you can't figure it out, on the satellite view of Maps the fields are distinctive from the greener fields.

I would suggest to opt for an late check out at Leiden, or leisurely lunch on a terrace with a view before taking the train (will you board the train on the scooter or are a few steps manageable?) to arrive at check in time at Schiphol Airport Plaza. From the Plaza it's a few minutes indoor to the Sheraton and Hilton. The Hilton is the furthest, double the distance but there are electric walkways.

The Plaza (with the Schiphol railway station platforms under it) is a bit of a mall, there are shops, 24/7 fastfood and some good fresh food options (La Place buffet/sandwiches). There's even a supermarket so you can cater any needs for your last evening and morning/day at the airport.

Another option is to take the Leiden - Haarlem - Amsterdam Sloterdijk - Schiphol train route, that one will go through the bollenstreek and lots of tulip fields from the comfort of the train. But you will have to change trains at Sloterdijk and it's easily an 45-60 minutes versus the 15 minutes direct I think.

The last day at the airport a relaxing day? :classic_smile:

Edited by FreestyleNovice
travel time

13 hours ago, FreestyleNovice said:

Another option is to take the Leiden - Haarlem - Amsterdam Sloterdijk - Schiphol train route, that one will go through the bollenstreek and lots of tulip fields from the comfort of the train. But you will have to change trains at Sloterdijk and it's easily an 45-60 minutes versus the 15 minutes direct I think.

The last day at the airport a relaxing day? :classic_smile:

Great idea. We could also do it on our way to Paris. Intercity 2126, Leiden Central -Heemstede Aerdenhout - Haarlem - Amsterdam Sloterdijk - Amsterdam Cantraal, then Thalys, to Paris. Instead of Leiden Central - Schiphol, Thalys, Schiphol - Paris.

love your idea of spending last afternoon on a terrace, Vlot looks really nice. Dad was a builder, I think he will love it.

wow, my post cruise week is planned.

Amsterdam, 9am, disembark  Viking Kara, - Amsterdam walking tour - canal cruise - Anne Frank House - train to Leiden

Leiden, 2 nights, exploring old town & canals, afternoon tea on a terrace, Weaver House Museum.

Paris, 2 nights, includes 3 hr private tour in vintage Citroen 

Leiden, 3 nights, including day trips to Haarlem and Patchwork & Quiltdagen at Rijswijk

Schiphol, 1night.

long, long flight home to Australia.

thanks so much FreestyleNovice & others who gave advice. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 2/24/2019 at 5:04 AM, FreestyleNovice said:

Have a great time and enjoy The Netherlands! Don't hesitate to touch base in this thread whenever, where ever. :classic_smile:

‘Hi FreestyleNovice, I just returned home from my trip & wish to say a heartfelt thankyou for your valuable info & advice. Dad & I both enjoyed our week in Leiden, what a wonderful city. We enjoyed staying at the Boutique hotel de'Oude Morsch very much (loved having a windmill in the backyard), it was fun scooting around on our mobility scooters. Dad loved his breakfast at Anne & Max (he was craving bacon & eggs). I like to eat the regional food when I travel but Dad is not so willing. I did go back 3 time to the Chocolate shop to try different hot chocolate blends. Wish I’d bought some home, but probably better for my waistline that I didn’t 

the people in the netherlands are just so friendly, we met some wonderful people. Thanks again for your helpful advise, it made our trip so much better. Leiden was the perfect base for us, a bit easier for Dad (89) to get around than Amsterdam

• Like 1