Veendam Questions

jkrislc

I'm looking at booking the Veendam for a Venice to Barcelona cruise, although we already have a Barcelona to Venice cruise booked on the Celebrity Constellation. The primary reasons are that we like HAL's service, the way they handle allergies, and better buffet and lido deck experiences. For my son, however, he prefers HAL for their in-room TV programming.

Does anyone know whether the Veendam has been upgraded to the on-demand TV systems? If not, do they still have DVD players in the rooms and DVDs for checkout at Guest Services?

Thanks!

10 minutes ago, jkrislc said:

Thanks, everyone. I thought as much and figured things might be different compared to the Konningsdam. I'm okay with DVDs, but I will call Ship Services to see if they know.

Things will be very different from the  Konnigsdam.  I hope this will be okay for you. Check out the various photos available to get the feel for the Veendam - one of the smallest and oldest ships in the HAL fleet these days. Sailed many days on her, and personally would never sail on the larger new HAL ships so the Veendam is fine for us - but coming off the larger new ship  this might create some culture shock.

OlsSalt,

I am very aware that things will be different from the Konningsdam. We just disembarked from NCL's oldest and smallest ship after having sailed on the Konningsdam, so we're not expecting the bells and whistles of the newer ships. We've also sailed on the Maasdam, so I pretty sure we know what to expect especially since this is an itinerary intensive trip anyways.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Sue from Canada said:

It was last month.  

23 hours ago, columbus1492 said:

Does anyone know if the laundromat is still operational on the Veendam?

If a drydock is coming up, check again. When we boarded the Rotterdam in January, we found that the laundromats had been removed.

On 2/16/2019 at 7:49 AM, columbus1492 said:

Does anyone know if the laundromat is still operational on the Veendam?

Honestly, the $7/day for unlimited laundry service is heavenly and you don't have to waste your time doing laundry. Years ago when my kids were younger we would do the TA on Cunard. Cunard had free laundry machines. I felt like I spent 1/2 the morning doing laundry trying to keep up and waiting for a machine.