Need Help Deciding : Mardi Gras Vs. Legend

jetfan0330

Hi All - I haven't posted here in a while but I am planning a 25th Anniversary Cruise for my wife and I in 2020.  I am struggling between two itineraries and ships.  Do I book the longer (12 day) Med Italy cruise on the legend in a AFT balcony or do I go for the NEW Mardi Gras Maiden Voyage on 8/31 in a regular Balcony (9 days).  Mardi Gras is a little more expensive but it would be the maiden voyage and that would be special all in itself.  Also to note, the Italian Legend cruise would be on our actual anniversary, the Mardi Gras is a couple of months earlier.  Thank You for your help - I am so torn.

It seems like your priority is a European itinerary. I will be on the Mardi Gras (10/2020) next year with an eastern Caribbean itinerary. I think if the ship factored in your personal appeal, you would be willing to travel on the Mardi Gras (despite the itinerary) during your actual anniversary date.

For that reason, I suggest choosing the Legend (12 day). For the occasion and itinerary, you can't lose either way. Happy Anniversary/Cruising!!!

It all depends on if you want:

Mardi Gras:

-Brand New Ship

-Newer Perks

-More “Funship” 2.0

-To Spend More Money

-Less Romantic

Legend:

-Older Ship

-Lesser Perks

-Less “Funship” 2.0

-More Romantic

-Dining Options May be Limited for Actual        Anniversary Dinner

-Aft Balcony is Romantic, especially at Sunset

I’m sorry if I wasn’t able to offer a lot of help, though this could be a basis.

Difficult decision.....Mardi Gras new, with the bells and whistles, more specialty dining options

Legend was refurbished last year.

1-  Have you been to Italy before

2-  Have you been to any of the ports the Mardi Gras will be at

3-  Are both of you able to take the time off from work easily

4-  Consider the flights/duration/cost, etc.

5-  Have you been on mega size ships before

Another thing with maiden voyages, sometimes the cruise line needs more time and work isn't completed, the sailing can be delayed or cancelled and sometimes they will continue and finish the work on the maiden voyage.  With this being said, and your anniversary will be on with the Legend, I would choose the Legend if you haven't been to Italy and are able to get the time off from work.

7 minutes ago, lwhitlock1231@gmail.com said:

It seems like your priority is a European itinerary. I will be on the Mardi Gras (10/2020) next year with an eastern Caribbean itinerary. I think if the ship factored in your personal appeal, you would be willing to travel on the Mardi Gras (despite the itinerary) during your actual anniversary date.

For that reason, I suggest choosing the Legend (12 day). For the occasion and itinerary, you can't lose either way. Happy Anniversary/Cruising!!!

Thank you so much for your help.  I was leaning that way too.  The allure of the Mardi Gras made me think more.  Plus I sailed Mardi Gras the original when I was 16.

This is great stuff.  Thanks all for your help.  I need to get on these boards more often.  

I think I am leaning toward the Legend.  It is a really good itinerary.  I have been to some of the European cities but my wife hasn't.  We have been on several cruises but always the Caribbean.  

Plus, I am finally turning Platinum with Carnival...only cruising since the 80's.  

Seriously, Thank to all this was super helpful!!!!

• Like 1

Hi jetfan0330, we are having the same deliberations in our house about sailing on Mardi Gras or Legend on the transatlantic sailings. We prefer the Legend itinerary but then there's the appeal of sailing on a new ship with all the new features, facilities, etc.

For what it's worth I would pick the sailing that my anniversary falls on and book a good shore excursion followed by dinner in the Steakhouse. You could always book Mardi Gras for a future sailing.

Good luck.