Aft Stateroom, South Africa

wesail7seas

We are sailing on Azamara in February from Capetown,to East London,Durban, Richard's Bay and back to Capetown.

Our TA booked us in an aft stateroom.

I heard that it can get quite rocky going around the southern tip of Africa,in which case an aft cabin might not be the best.

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks

That’s a tricky question and one which requires a crystal ball! Yes, the seas off the Southern Cape can get choppy - as most seas can. If you want to minimise the risk, go for middle/middle. Just to add a little context, we have just spent three weeks in the area and the weather was fair and calm so your aft cabin would have been fine.

8 hours ago, Omega1 said:

That’s a tricky question and one which requires a crystal ball! Yes, the seas off the Southern Cape can get choppy - as most seas can. If you want to minimise the risk, go for middle/middle. Just to add a little context, we have just spent three weeks in the area and the weather was fair and calm so your aft cabin would have been fine.

Thank You Omega 1.

I was startled by the articles of the rough seas and rogue waves where Atlantic meets the Indian Ocean.

We were in Chile's southern point this year where Atlantic and Pacific meet and it was,shall we say, interesting,but not a big problem.

I will now stop reading articles,throw caution to the wind (so to speak) and embrace our aft cabin. Cheers.  

On 2/19/2019 at 2:24 PM, Trend said:

Are you on the Feb 10 cruise as we are also booked.

Small ships rock more but if you were ok in the South American one around the tip I would think you would be fine here.

On 2/17/2019 at 1:18 PM, wesail7seas said:

Thank You Omega 1.

I was startled by the articles of the rough seas and rogue waves where Atlantic meets the Indian Ocean.

We were in Chile's southern point this year where Atlantic and Pacific meet and it was,shall we say, interesting,but not a big problem.

I will now stop reading articles,throw caution to the wind (so to speak) and embrace our aft cabin. Cheers.  

On 2/19/2019 at 2:24 PM, Trend said:

Are you on the Feb 10 cruise as we are also booked.

Small ships rock more but if you were ok in the South American one around the tip I would think you would be fine here.

We  Are on the January 31st 2020 sailing on the Quest

• 2 months later...

The seas around the Cape are only very rough between June and August, the rest of the year it’s (normally) okay with the occasional Buster (what the locals call the sudden gales that come up from the south)

17 minutes ago, ShaunDxb said:

The seas around the Cape are only very rough between June and August, the rest of the year it’s (normally) okay with the occasional Buster (what the locals call the sudden gales that come up from the south)

Thank you Shaun. That makes me feel better. Cheers

We were on Regent about 3 years ago and went through the tip of Africa and Capetown 3 times and it was fine all 3 times.    We were waiting for some waves and rough weather but it never happened.   We went in November.

42 minutes ago, alidor said:

We were on Regent about 3 years ago and went through the tip of Africa and Capetown 3 times and it was fine all 3 times.    We were waiting for some waves and rough weather but it never happened.   We went in November.

Thank You. I appreciate the feedback.