Mexican Riviera Photo Review

FishinChris

On 2/24/2019 at 8:39 PM, Lucky TGO said:

Thanks for sharing I love the photos! One of the masks photos looks just like my uncle Frank. 😳 😁

The Captain of The Rowboat,

Tony

Yes I see many family members in these mask. 

Thanks for the review.  We'll be doing this one for the upmteenth time in the fall but it's always good to get current information.  

I have to ask you, if you'd be so kind to answer, we've done the Stone Island tour before and while it was ok, the area and restaurant they took us to was really decapitated.  Even the lounge chairs they provided were all broken down and the restaurant looked filthy.  I was worried about eating anything over there and though the had an open bar, bottled beer was the only thing I was comfortable to drink.  (To be fair, I had gotten very ill from food poisoning in Mazatlan back in the 80's ... so am a more than a little gun shy)  Anyway, the area they took us to had nearby half emptied pool that was full of algea sludge surrounded by dead plants.  I didn't recognize any of this from your photos.  What was the resort they used for your tour and would you consider it a nice place?  Did you happen upon any of those things I mentioned?  I'd like to go back and experience it again as I love the beach area over there ... but only if they take us to a decent place.  

24 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

Thanks for the review.  We'll be doing this one for the upmteenth time in the fall but it's always good to get current information.  

I have to ask you, if you'd be so kind to answer, we've done the Stone Island tour before and while it was ok, the area and restaurant they took us to was really decapitated.  Even the lounge chairs they provided were all broken down and the restaurant looked filthy.  I was worried about eating anything over there and though the had an open bar, bottled beer was the only thing I was comfortable to drink.  (To be fair, I had gotten very ill from food poisoning in Mazatlan back in the 80's ... so am a more than a little gun shy)  Anyway, the area they took us to had nearby half emptied pool that was full of algea sludge surrounded by dead plants.  I didn't recognize any of this from your photos.  What was the resort they used for your tour and would you consider it a nice place?  Did you happen upon any of those things I mentioned?  I'd like to go back and experience it again as I love the beach area over there ... but only if they take us to a decent place.  

Don't you just hate spell check?   :classic_ninja:  :classic_blink:

54 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Don't you just hate spell check?   :classic_ninja:  :classic_blink:

Why am I just getting this now? Super job! Great photos. Was I on the same cruise?  😵

2 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

They took us to a restaurant on the beach.  It was very clean and I didn’t see a swimming pool at all. My advice would be to stick to the mango margaritas. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

Cruise Raider, when we go to Mazatlan we almost always end up going to a hotel at the Golden Zone, Hotel Playa Mazatlan, and the drinks are good, the beach is beautiful, the palapa and chairs are nice, and the buffet lunch is pretty good.  Weve gone six times, using the Princess excursion, and it’s always been a great day. 

For our next cruise they dump us off for an hour for shopping beforehand, which we don’t really want to do,  it last time it simply was a trip out to the resort.  

We weren’t fans of Stone Island Beach at all, since they used a substandard rickety boat to get us over there, and not enough life jackets, and I got thrown from that horse with Randi’s Happi Horses and had a concussion.  Never again. 

13 hours ago, 4cats4me said:

Cruise Raider, when we go to Mazatlan we almost always end up going to a hotel at the Golden Zone, Hotel Playa Mazatlan, and the drinks are good, the beach is beautiful, the palapa and chairs are nice, and the buffet lunch is pretty good.  Weve gone six times, using the Princess excursion, and it’s always been a great day. 

For our next cruise they dump us off for an hour for shopping beforehand, which we don’t really want to do,  it last time it simply was a trip out to the resort.  

We weren’t fans of Stone Island Beach at all, since they used a substandard rickety boat to get us over there, and not enough life jackets, and I got thrown from that horse with Randi’s Happi Horses and had a concussion.  Never again. 

Funny you mention that ... it was the Hotel Playa Mazatlan where I got food poisoning.  I was sick for nearly 3 months after that trip (land based, not on a cruise).  It was decades ago ... so wouldn't be so worried about that now but it still leaves a bad taste in my mouth ... but like you, Never Again.  

12 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

Funny you mention that ... it was the Hotel Playa Mazatlan where I got food poisoning.  I was sick for nearly 3 months after that trip (land based, not on a cruise).  It was decades ago ... so wouldn't be so worried about that now but it still leaves a bad taste in my mouth ... but like you, Never Again.  

Oh, no, that is a shame you got food poisoning there.  3 months? What an awful experience it must have been for you.  

Maybe I will rethink this and stay on the ship after all. 😨

Edited by 4cats4me

17 hours ago, 4cats4me said:

Oh, no, that is a shame you got food poisoning there.  3 months? What an awful experience it must have been for you.  

Maybe I will rethink this and stay on the ship after all. 😨

It was years ago ... probably back in the early 80's.  Plus, we stayed there so it took many many meals there to get sick.  I have a feeling it was the oysters or maybe the lettuce.  I think you're probably safer now than way back then.  The ice didn't even come out of a machine at the time ... they delivered it via trucks in big blocks.  

I was sick for quite some time afterwards, though before I finally starting feeling better again.  

On 3/5/2019 at 3:01 PM, Cruise Raider said:

It was years ago ... probably back in the early 80's.  Plus, we stayed there so it took many many meals there to get sick.  I have a feeling it was the oysters or maybe the lettuce.  I think you're probably safer now than way back then.  The ice didn't even come out of a machine at the time ... they delivered it via trucks in big blocks.  

I was sick for quite some time afterwards, though before I finally starting feeling better again.  

We were planning on eating some authentic Mexican food on our first trip to Mazatlan 12 years ago.   The walking tour we were on stopped at a very authentic market and after seeing the how the food was presented, we decided to only eat On the ship.  

54 minutes ago, FishinChris said:

We were planning on eating some authentic Mexican food on our first trip to Mazatlan 12 years ago.   The walking tour we were on stopped at a very authentic market and after seeing the how the food was presented, we decided to only eat On the ship.  

I know what you mean.  Same thing when we went to a jerk chicken place down in Jamaica many years ago.  I took one look at the sanitation practices and was out of there!!  

Thanks for the review! We are in the Bay Area and thought about getting on the ship in SF. But we opted to fly to LA for our upcoming sailing on the Royal over spring break. 

We were in PV over Semana Santa on a land based vacation and are excited to go back even for a day.  We plan to just walk around and eat, hoping to find some of our favorites from the last weeklong visit. We were at the Cathedral on Palm Sunday and it was very festive. I still have Virgin of Guadalupe made with palm leaves from there.

We have a toddler and granny in a wheelchair so won't be doing much else at Cabo and Mazatlan except the beach resort day pass. I want my water baby to swim since she won't be able to on the ship.

5 more weeks!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, chinita415 said:

Thanks for the review! We are in the Bay Area and thought about getting on the ship in SF. But we opted to fly to LA for our upcoming sailing on the Royal over spring break. 

We were in PV over Semana Santa on a land based vacation and are excited to go back even for a day.  We plan to just walk around and eat, hoping to find some of our favorites from the last weeklong visit. We were at the Cathedral on Palm Sunday and it was very festive. I still have Virgin of Guadalupe made with palm leaves from there.

We have a toddler and granny in a wheelchair so won't be doing much else at Cabo and Mazatlan except the beach resort day pass. I want my water baby to swim since she won't be able to on the ship.

5 more weeks!

Your going to have a great time!

10 hours ago, PoohUnderstands said:

thanks for taking your time to do this.  We are going on this itinerary on the Grand on March 20th, just after she becomes spanking brand new after her long drydock in Oregon.  Am looking forward to relaxing and just enjoying myself aboard.

Pooh

Glad you enjoyed the review.