Alaska In Mid-September --- Too Late??

wiseeyeguy

Because of school calendars, life, etc. , I had to pass on a June sailing

(the inside passage - out of Seattle) Bummer! Is Mid September too late to expect decent sailing, and activity weather? I would love to hear from past September Cruisers.. Considering NCL Star on its last voyage

of the season (departing Sept 17th) Any thoughts, thanks Wiseeyeguy

There are lots of people on here who will recomm it based on their good weather. But, this late in Sept just increases the unpredictability of the weather. The question is will you not complain if it rains every day or some of your tours are cancelled? With the right attitude to enjoy what you can, do what you can, you can save money by going on this late of a tour. I have been on southbound on first of June and on first week of Sept and would take both of those again. But I would be hesitant to go much later than the first week. I would really consider r/t from Vanc to get more sailing inside of inside passage, and a week or two earlier if possible. Good luck. Let us know what you decide and than how it turned out. Then we all know more next time.

The truth is you will find just as good reports about weather in September as reports of rain.... I've read many telling of 70 degree days with hot temps and lots of sunshine.... you can get fog/ rain in any month up there. I'm sailing on Sept. 17 on the Serenade and I can't wait... I'm just not going to book any excursions ahead of time, except the White Pass Railroad in Skagway... you can get great deals dealing directly with the vendors the day you arive, and if weather is bad, just wonder around town and take advantage of the great end of season bargains in the shops.... have fun...:)

Every choice has its trade-offs. Speaking in terms of historic averages, September is by far the wettest cruising month, and would be my last choice (actually, I would never choose September - I'd wait until I could go at a better time). There is also no glacier dog-sledding, as the snow is all gone. The other side is that if you do get good weather you have a chance of seeing the Northern Lights, you get some fall colors, and for shoppers there are lots of great sales on, though some shops will have already closed.

Murray

We sailed for Alaska last year on Sept. 17. and were also very worried about the weather. The temps. averaged around 55 degrees. The only day we had rain was in Juneau. Don't hesitate to book a whale watching excursion. We went with Capt. Larry- the boat is glass enclosed and heated. The rain does not decrease your chances of seeing whales. We saw lots of whales and 2 were breaching right in front of us- what a show. In Skagway we took a bus tour into the Yukon and saw the most amazing scenery-the fall foliage was incredible. Ketchican was sunny, beautiful and about 65 degrees.

I guess it's hit or miss with the weather. I just wanted to let you know that you can still have good weather mid September.

I think it's fair to say that weather anywhere is unpredictable. I wouldn't worry if it's a little cooler as the best advice for Alaska is to dress in layers. And, if it rains, it rains. I have been there often and somedays have been a little rainy, other days cloudy and other days sunny and we had a wonderful time regardless of the weather.

The nice thing about mid-September is that it is towards the end of the Alaska sailing season and there are less crowds there with most kids back to school. So, I think any concern with weather are offset by having less tourists there. If it was me, I wouldn't worry about it.

Keith

On average past the first week of Sept, is the worse potential for weather of the sailing season. I have sail twice this timeframe- when they were give away sailings- significantly discounted and my second sailing of the the year. No longer are the rates that much different. On average- temps 40-55, 3 days of rain, and dusk by 7pm. Northern lights possible however. :) Significant end of season clearance sales. :) If you do go, be certain to have proper attire, that will be your ticket to a good time, without it, you'll be sorry. :)

Yes you have posters who had "great" weather, two years had exceptional weather, but highly atypical. Yukon lives there, highly accurate poster.

BQ,

I'm taking the Diamond Princess Vancouver-LA repositioning cruise on 9/16. I'm weighing my options for the extending that trip. I'm thinking a R/T Seattle cruise 9/8-9/15 or independent touring around the Puget Sound/San Juan Islands area.

I've been to Glacier Bay, Skagway, Juneau, and Ketchikan twice, so other ports/glaciers would be a plus? Out of Seattle, HAL goes to Sitka and RCCL to ISP. Also, I'd probably be sailing alone, so cruise costs escalate, unless there are deals. I'm open to the Vancouver 9/9-9/16 sailings, but notice they are more expensive.

Can I expect substantially better weather in the Seattle area compared to the Inside Passage? What other questions do I need to ask myself?

Thanks -- as always -- for sharing your expertise!!!!!

Qcruise..are you signed up for the M&M on your sailing? We've scheduled a flight in Ketchikan that day so hope we have the good weather! If not, they refund..actually no charge until you take it!

Winncove.... yes, we are signed up for the M&M onboard.... hopfully we will get enough signed up for a party.....see you onboard....

BQ,

I'm taking the Diamond Princess Vancouver-LA repositioning cruise on 9/16. I'm weighing my options for the extending that trip. I'm thinking a R/T Seattle cruise 9/8-9/15 or independent touring around the Puget Sound/San Juan Islands area.

I've been to Glacier Bay, Skagway, Juneau, and Ketchikan twice, so other ports/glaciers would be a plus? Out of Seattle, HAL goes to Sitka and RCCL to ISP. Also, I'd probably be sailing alone, so cruise costs escalate, unless there are deals. I'm open to the Vancouver 9/9-9/16 sailings, but notice they are more expensive.

Can I expect substantially better weather in the Seattle area compared to the Inside Passage? What other questions do I need to ask myself?

Thanks -- as always -- for sharing your expertise!!!!!

Being that round trip Seattle sailings sail more open ocean, I don't think you will find any advantage to the more southern embarkment. Since you're a single traveler, go with the cheaper option perhaps. They aren't any "BAD" Alaska cruises. :)

They aren't any "BAD" Alaska cruises. :)

Absolutely agree!!! I'm going to wait until closer to September and see what prices do. Worst case, I just stay around the Seattle and/or Vancouver area and do some touring/whale watching, .....

Archived