Estarrre

estarre

We are booked on the Nautica on 03/31/06 for a 35 day cruise. We are experienced cruisers but are a little concerned about the policy of automatically adding onto your shipboard account, $11.50 (U.S.) per day per passenger. As Canadians, this will equate to $27.00 (Cdn.) per day for the two of us. Does anyone else think this is a little steep? Can you go to the Purser and have the amount reduced without looking like a cheapskate or is this tacky?? Thanks for any advice...Estarre

We are booked on the Nautica on 03/31/06 for a 35 day cruise. We are experienced cruisers but are a little concerned about the policy of automatically adding onto your shipboard account, $11.50 (U.S.) per day per passenger. As Canadians, this will equate to $27.00 (Cdn.) per day for the two of us. Does anyone else think this is a little steep? Can you go to the Purser and have the amount reduced without looking like a cheapskate or is this tacky?? Thanks for any advice...Estarre

If you can't afford this...don't go!!!!

Estarre --

I think you can ask at the Concierge to have the charges removed if you would like to add or subtract based on the service you receive; or of course you have the option of giving out your tips directly.

Enjoy your cruise!

It is a little above the average for most cruiselines these days but not by much.

A lot of cruiselines are adding the tip to your shipboard account ...I prefer that method rather than having to get all those envelopes and deliver them to the crew.

Keep in mind this tip covers all the wait staff and housekeeping staff that make your cruise more pleasant.

If you break it down over 3 meals, afternoon tea per day it does not seem like much .

How much would you tip for a nice meal in a restaurant at home???

If you figure out how much you would tip when dining out for 3 meals it works out pretty close.

You can always have it reduced if you feel the service was not up to par....

Thank you for the advice!!!!

you are very welcome!!!

so you can afford a 35 day cruise at per diems probably north of $200 usd per person yet you can't afford an extra 5% or so for the crew?????????...don't go...don't go....don't go!!!! cact!!!!!!

Timlb, Pretty nasty. Who put you in charge of how much to tip? Could be that Oceania is jacking up the tips that they charge to each acct. so they can pay their staff less. Everybody has to do what they think is right. Do you give a 40.00 tip on a 200.00 bottle wine. I doubt it. Lets try to answer the question a little nicer.

Friends,

First, it bothers me when folks are just plain NASTY on this board. I personally garner lots of very useful info here and don't like to sift through the insults...

Now to my personal thoughts.

I like to give the cabin stewart a little tip for a small favor up front on the cruise. I think this lets them know that I appreciate them and I think I get a better "advocate" when I need something special.

I don't much like tipping after we've left the ship. This seems so impersonal. On more than one occasion, I've taken a bunch of small envelopes on board and during the last few days, I've gotten pleasure out of handing those special people an envelope (with cash) and telling them I appreciate their service. This makes them happy and it makes me happy.

Am I making sense??? I just think tipping is a PERSONAL matter and should be accompanied by a "thank you". :)

Marvin

Friends,

I've taken a bunch of small envelopes on board and during the last few days, I've gotten pleasure out of handing those special people an envelope (with cash) and telling them I appreciate their service. This makes them happy and it makes me happy.

Am I making sense??? I just think tipping is a PERSONAL matter and should be accompanied by a "thank you". :)

Marvin

It is pretty hard to tip all the wait staff that serve you with the "anytime dining" on Oceania. You may never get the same waiters twice.

The tips are pooled anyway so unless you give above the recommened amount they are not any further ahead as they must turn in the tips.

As for tipping the steward ahead, I have never had bad service without tipping ahead. We do leave extra at the end if the Steward has been helpful.

Estarre,

Well, unfortunately you're also paying for the cruise in your Canadian dollars. When I pay in Euro's, I can't tip less because the euro-dollar exchange isn't in our favor. It's just the way it works, sorry.

That said, the $11.50 per person per day isn't steep - though it might be about 1 or 2 dollars more than a few other cruiselines. But I think it's worth it, you'll have great service on Oceania. You have the right to adjust your tips downward at the front desk. Very few people do and most of us end up giving our cabin stewards and some of our favorite waitstaff more.

Jane

Timlb, Pretty nasty. Who put you in charge of how much to tip? Could be that Oceania is jacking up the tips that they charge to each acct. so they can pay their staff less. Everybody has to do what they think is right. Do you give a 40.00 tip on a 200.00 bottle wine. I doubt it. Lets try to answer the question a little nicer.

RJB,

All cruiselines (other than a couple of very pricey ones) pay the staff minimally and depend on the gratuities of the passengers for the staff's wages. This is how cruiselines work and you can't fight the system, it is what it is.

I'll agree that Timlb could have been gentler in the delivery of his response, but the content wasn't wrong. He's not claiming to be "in charge of how much to tip" - Oceania's tipping policy is inline with what's considered an industry standard - okay maybe one buck more a day - that's not really "jacking up the price" all that much.

The OP is going on a 35 day cruise. Why should the staff make less money per day in tips from them than from those on a 14 day cruise because the cruisers feel that after 35 days it adds up to more money out of their pocket? I think that was Timlb's point. Don't punish the crew because you can afford 35 days at sea only if you don't have to spend $805. in tips ($11.50 x2 = $23. X 35 = $805.)

I appreciate that Esterre came in here for some honest answers because it did seem steep to her. But I hope that after reading that this amount is quite the usual and customary, she'll "go with the program" and not deduct any tips from her shipboard account.

Jane

Consider what the gratuity is going towards. Of the $11.50 daily charge, $3.50 goes towards your room steward and her assistant. That's not a lot of income, considering she's up before 6 am, preparing your pre-ordered breakfast and delivering to your cabin. Then while you're on your shore excursions, she comes in, makes your bed, changes your towels, cleans your bathroom, refreshes your toiletries, and even folds your clothes for you (at least ours did!). Then in the evening, she comes back to remake your bed (if you took an afternoon nap), drops off a couple of chocolates, fills your ice bucket, and delivers fresh towels, all without you ever knowing it. And sometimes they're inconvenienced on sea days when passengers want to sleep in, forcing them to work into their afternoons, but they go about their duties without a whisper of complaint.

The remainder of the gratuity is shared among the dining room staff, covering breakfast, lunch, AND dinner. Considering the cost of three equivalent meals ashore, even a 10% tip on each of those meals would far exceed the $8.00 per day that is split among the dining room stewards - your waiter, the assistant waiter, and the busboy (the maitre'd and the sommelier are salaried, I believe).

I can appreciate your apprehension about the amount of gratuity that you'll be paying for your 35 days aboard ship, but given these facts, I would feel guilty tipping the staff anything less than the automatic minimum!!! Those poor kids work hard for their money! :)

Archived