The little details

mymirabella

I'm looking to fine tune my plans for our cruise. We are sailing on the Gem in April from Boston to Bermuda, incase that is relevant, please include if the answer is ship specific to make the answers more useful to everyone and for future references.

-First milk can we get milk any time of day like royal and carnival and what kind of milk are we talking? Should we expect little cartons of milk like we see at schools or is there a chance we will be stuck with ultra pasteurized shelf stable milks? While on that topic what about creamer for coffee is it powdered half and half in little cups or real cream? 

-Second can we get ice cream without paying additional anywhere besides the main dining room? 

-Third what are our lunch options? It seems like multiple venues are open on embarkation day what can we expect later in the cruise?

-Fourth my son is asking about if there will be a tea time on the ship,my research says no but can anyone confirm that?Also what tea is included on the ship?

- Fifth are the doors magnetic? We like to hang whiteboards and need to plan a way to make that happen.

I tried to get all this information without asking but it either doesn't exist or its inconsistent so thank you in advance.

6 hours ago, mymirabella said:

I'm looking to fine tune my plans for our cruise. We are sailing on the

-First milk can we get milk any time of day like royal and carnival and what kind of milk are we talking? Should we expect little cartons of milk like we see at schools or is there a chance we will be stuck with ultra pasteurized shelf stable milks? While on that topic what about creamer for coffee is it powdered half and half in little cups or real cream? 

From what I remember, you can get milk any time of day.  There are school type cartons available in white and chocolate.  Feel free to take a couple back to your room from the Buffet. The will be real half and half in containers like you get in diners.

-Second can we get ice cream without paying additional anywhere besides the main dining room? 

soft serve is available in the buffet all afternoon and evening.  During certain hours of the day, there will also be “hard” ice cream available.

-Third what are our lunch options? It seems like multiple venues are open on embarkation day what can we expect later in the cruise?

at least one dining room will be open on sea days, the buffet every day. O’Sheehans will be open every day as well. There is often a pool side BBQ as well.

-Fourth my son is asking about if there will be a tea time on the ship,my research says no but can anyone confirm that?Also what tea is included on the ship?

sadly, there is no formal tea that I’ve seen, but on my last cruise or two, I did notice “scones” and some other treats available in the buffet and the great outdoors around 3 or so.  There will be a basic selection of tea available all the time.  Black, green, early grey, herbal, etc.

- Fifth are the doors magnetic? We like to hang whiteboards and need to plan a way to make that happen.

yes, the door and walls are magnetic.

I tried to get all this information without asking but it either doesn't exist or its inconsistent so thank you in advance.

I’m fairly confident that all the above is still accurate.  I’m sure I will be corrected if I am wrong.  Enjoy the Gem, she’s my favorite ship.

Edited by Hopes4
Forgot the half and half

1 hour ago, mymirabella said:

Thank you!   My husband is the grandson of a dairy farmer so milk, ice cream and coffee creamer are a big deal in this family. 

Do you happen to know if the gem has paper straws yet everything I'm reading says they have no straws at all.

@Hopes4 was spot on with the answers to your original questions. When I was on the Gem in June, there were no paper straws yet. And even on the ships I have been on since that did have paper straws (Escape and Bliss), they were in very limited supply and not available at every bar. I highly recommend bringing your own straws if that will be an issue for you.

34 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

@Hopes4 was spot on with the answers to your original questions. When I was on the Gem in June, there were no paper straws yet. And even on the ships I have been on since that did have paper straws (Escape and Bliss), they were in very limited supply and not available at every bar. I highly recommend bringing your own straws if that will be an issue for you.

Agreed. Bring your own straws.

We did on our Escape cruise in July and my wife was very popular at some of the bars as she was handing them out to passengers who were surprised and probably not too happy to find out that straws were not available.

We were on the Gem to Bermuda when it sailed out of NY. We would take a couple of those

little cartons of milk from the buffet to have in our room in case our granddaughters got thirsty.

If memory serves me it was whole milk. When we sailed her there was an ice cream bar

with hard ice cream next to the self serve soft ice cream. I don't know if it is still there.