Celebrity's True Colors

Ericknow32

I found this interesting and I thought I would share it with all of you.

While I was on the Summit they had a Q&A session with the senior staff. It was fun and I always enjoy it when they do this on cruises. After it was over I went up and asked the Hotel Manager why Celebrity decided to change the colors on the Millennium class ships. Here is what he told me

Celebrity did not want the colors that the Millennium class ships were originally painted. The ships were supposed to have a gold stripe on the current paint job. Instead Alstom went and did what they wanted with the paint. Celebrity could not change the paint until the warranty was expired because they would have to pay for the paint from then on. Before the expiration date Alstom paid for the paint.

I liked the the other colors and was sad to see them go. Knowing why they changed the colors puts some closure on it and it makes me feel better about the change.

This is probably another reason RCI/X said they would never use Alstom again. I want to know if RCI/X will hold to their word even after the Aker yards merger.

Are we to understand that X didn't have a single rep, on site, when these ships were being built who noticed that the paint was not as spec'd...ya right :rolleyes: ...and who painted "GAS TURBINE" on the hull, vandals??

I detested the new paint scheme. I love the classic blue/white (note my sailboat above)...to each his own.

Are we to understand that X didn't have a single rep, on site, when these ships were being built who noticed that the paint was not as spec'd...ya right :rolleyes: ...and who painted "GAS TURBINE" on the hull, vandals??

I detested the new paint scheme. I love the classic blue/white (note my sailboat above)...to each his own.

Thats what I was told. I have been wondering the same thing that you just stated. Maybe they thought it would be easier to just leave it alone. Who knows?

My screen saver still shows the Millennium in its blue hull and helps to keep me wanting to get back on board even though they repainted it white. The blue made it so much easier to pick her out at the dock among all the plain white hulls.

Danno my stinkpotter has a clasic racing yellow hull, it shows that when it comes to nasty seas that I am a devout coward.

I found this interesting and I thought I would share it with all of you.

Celebrity did not want the colors that the Millennium class ships were originally painted. The ships were supposed to have a gold stripe on the current paint job.

Can you please clarify? The Mille class originally did have a gold stripe on it.

It does not have one now. I do like the new colors as the ship fits in with the previous classes. When I first saw the Millie with the gold stripe and red lettering, I didn't feel I was on a Celebrity ship. With her earlier repaint to get rid of the gold and red and even her new repaint from drydock, it feels like I am home when boarding.

The latest Millie drydock was done at a different shipyard in Spain - not in Marseille where it was originally scheduled.

Can you please clarify? The Mille class originally did have a gold stripe on it.

It does not have one now. I do like the new colors as the ship fits in with the previous classes. When I first saw the Millie with the gold stripe and red lettering, I didn't feel I was on a Celebrity ship. With her earlier repaint to get rid of the gold and red and even her new repaint from drydock, it feels like I am home when boarding.

The latest Millie drydock was done at a different shipyard in Spain - not in Marseille where it was originally scheduled.

Celebrity wanted the white and blue hull that they currently have except with a gold stripe. Alstom painted it with a blue hull and yellow stripe. They also added the red which Celebrity did not want.

I think the only reason Celebrity kept the paint was to not delay the ship. If they forced Alstom to repaint the ship it would have taken a long time and probably would have held up the inauguration.

I have a hard time with that. I've built several homes and we always have a list of specs in the contract. Any deviation is unacceptable without a change order in writing from the owner. I'm sure they had scale models of the ship before they started construction that would also show the color scheme. If it was painted a color not to X's specs they could of demanded it be changed at the builders expense before taking possession of the ship. I had a builder put the wrong siding on a house once, legally I could of made him rip it all off and start over.

I've grown up around boats and my theory is it was done out of practicality. White, (though boring) is best. Believe me I leaned this (like everything else) the hard way. White is much easier to maintain than a colored hull. Dark colors fade/oxidize fast in the hot sun. Touch up is much more difficult if not impossible on colored hulls. White hides scratches much better too. Kind of like a black car. They look great in the show room but are a nightmare to maintain in the real world. That said, I love navy blue boats and black cars.

I am speculating that the spec s didn't say white & blue with.... but rather included colour codes and chances are someone either miswrote or misread it are quite big. That can happen really fast I did it mayself with a batch of terry fabric last years - I miss the code by 2 numbers and wrote down 603 instead of 605 and boy was that a mistsake. Instead of getting a really bright neon green I got a pastel green / turqouise colour and nobody caught it until the client opened the boxes!!!! 2 week bfore Xmas no less. Fortunately the client was very understanding and is in the process of getting new one with the right colour now as we speak.

Hi

I can not come to the point, what X officers told in this answer and question show. I liked the old painting much more, but one get used to the new color and I agree that white is much better to maintain.

To the point, why I don´t believe those officers. They ordered and got 4 in words FOUR Millenium- Class ships- starting in 2000( Millenium) ending in 2003 with Constellation- and all- not one exeption, had the old color, some of us miss now. When they saw the first ship ( Millenium) in colors they did not like, why did they not change the other 3 ships before the got out, before the Constellation even was started to build?:confused:

On a europe cruise with the Constellation we layed side by side with the Millenium in some harbour, I forgot which one it was- Conste was painted in this, blue, yellow, red- and Millenium was already painted new. Big difference and strange to look at.

Greetings

Michael

ICelebrity did not want the colors that the Millennium class ships were originally painted. The ships were supposed to have a gold stripe on the current paint job. Instead Alstom went and did what they wanted with the paint. Celebrity could not change the paint until the warranty was expired because they would have to pay for the paint from then on. Before the expiration date Alstom paid for the paint.

Someone was pulling your leg.

I believe it. I don't think the guy was lying to me. I don't know all the details; the conversation was over in two minutes. Basically Celebrity got something that they didn't want. How that happened, I don't know. Maybe an executive signed off on something they shouldn't have, who knows. I have no reason to doubt the answer I received. Next time you guys are on a ship why don't you ask the question and find out the whole story.

The darker hulls may be easier to maintain, but, Disney does it with their ships and their ships are so much easier to tell apart because of the paint(and the mouse ears on the stack) then almost any other ship out there. I also think the Disney ships look much nicer, and draws much more attention then other ships because of the paint scheme.

Danno my stinkpotter has a clasic racing yellow hull, it shows that when it comes to nasty seas that I am a devout coward.

:D Ickk...power boats...ick.

Another point...these four M class ships were built over several years...no one noticed the first one was painted wrong until AFTER the 4th ship was built?? I think perhaps some bad info found it's was to that crew person.

Danno:

I noticed that when you want to get someplace you leave the windbag at home and get on one of these stinkpots.

As far as hull colors go I couldnt care less just so long as the color of the drink in my glass is right.:rolleyes:

Danno:

I noticed that when you want to get someplace you leave the windbag at home and get on one of these stinkpots.

You are right....but then, the joy of sailing is in the journey, NOT, in the arrival...but then power boaters have never understood this. I think it has something to do with carbon monoxide and following winds :D .

All that aside, one day I would love to cruise on one of the clipper ships.

I believe it. I don't think the guy was lying to me. I don't know all the details; the conversation was over in two minutes. Basically Celebrity got something that they didn't want. How that happened, I don't know. Maybe an executive signed off on something they shouldn't have, who knows. I have no reason to doubt the answer I received. Next time you guys are on a ship why don't you ask the question and find out the whole story.

The paint scheme of four ships is not something that gets done wrong. Those details are gone over with a fine tooth comb. What they got was what they wanted at the time. The guy might not have been deliberately lying to you, maybe he believes what he told you but the story can't be right.

Danno:

You are so right about the destination and the way to arrive there.

The wonderful thing about cruising is the people that you meet and the joy of their company, you can not get to realy have the opportunity to interact with your fellow vacationers on anything less than a cruise.

After all the years my wife and I have been togeather and have had some rather large stinkpots she still says the service on Celebrity is much better than I can provide, I hate to agree with her but she is right.

I am in the process of twisting her arm to agree to go on the April 23rd Hawiian cruies on Summit, it would be our 5th on our favorite M class ship.

Happy sailing

Bobn

The darker hulls may be easier to maintain, but, Disney does it with their ships and their ships are so much easier to tell apart because of the paint(and the mouse ears on the stack) then almost any other ship out there. I also think the Disney ships look much nicer, and draws much more attention then other ships because of the paint scheme.

And I thought Disney did it to complete their theme of the classic cruise ships.

I will admit I never have any trouble spotting them in any port.

If anything that would be reason enough to stop dealing with them after the screwing they got from the yard. However revenge is sweet. Don't know if you saw the article but Aker bought Alstom Chantiers and we all know how much RCL loves Aker builder of the Voyager and now Freedom Class

in the paint color when the Infinity arrived for our cruise. I was expecting the blue, red and yellow coloration as per their brochure. That was not why I picked this cruise ship though, so it was not really a big deal. The Summit still had the original "paint job" as it was also in port at the same time. I thought the Summit looked much more regal in that paint style. I wasn't sure why they changed the paint on their ships, but I thought maybe their was a problem with it looking kind of like one of the Disney ships and that perhaps they had to change it for legal reasons. I am not sure if there would be "rights" to a ship's paint job, but I really preferred the original paint on the M class ships. Just my opinion.

I'm another fan of the blue hull. In case any of you have forgotten how beautiful the ships looked, here's a picture I took of the Constellation in Geringer, Norway before they repainted her.

120ShiparriveHellesylt_edited-vi.jpg?500373

Garry

I'm another fan of the blue hull. In case any of you have forgotten how beautiful the ships looked, here's a picture I took of the Constellation in Geringer, Norway before they repainted her.

120ShiparriveHellesylt_edited-vi.jpg?500373

Garry

Archived