Antartica Expedition Cruise - which cruiseline?

dreamercruise

Thinking about taking this expedition cruise, preferably adding Falkland Islands and South Georgia.  Which cruiseline do you recommend and why?  Please include both existing and new ships. 

Does a bigger ship (200-500 passengers) have a better chance of making landing in rough sea?  On the other hand, does a bigger ship have a disadvantage due to too many people getting transported to shore?

Which time of the year is best to take this trip?  I am thinking about January, because I want to see penguins.  Are there good months as wells?

Head over to the  Trip Advisor Antarctic Adventures forum for lots of help. You have the right idea to go on an expedition ship. I have never heard that there is any advantage to a larger ship in terms of landing.

This website will give more information though I do not know how up to date it is: Travel to the Poles

The standard advice is to go on as small a ship as you can afford. A good compromise in terms of size and amenities and price is G Adventures shop Expedition which is what we took. It is very comfortable with great staff and crew and amazingly good food.

We went in late February/March and had a super time. There are pluses and minuses for all times.

• Like 1

Thank you soooo much for your information and suggestions, Maryann.  Your provided link “travel to the poles” is extremely helpful.  Per the info., my husband and I found our ideal cruise, and booked it today.

i understand that it is difficult for people to recommend a particular cruise/cruiseline, because we all have different interest, budget, and physical abilities.  We were thinking about taking a short Antartica cruise via Scenic Eclipse, but backed out when the ship’s launch date has further been delayed.  At the same time, Silversea kept sending me promotion emails.  From browsing the various itineraries, we decided to add Falkland Islands and South Georgia.

After our Antartica expedition, we shall come back to the same links to explore Arctic sailing next.

i think other people who come across your post will benefit as well.

• 1 month later...

Fogfog, my friends did Antarctica with Silverseas two years ago and recommended it to me.  When I checked out Antarctica, I learned to include South Georgia and Falkland Islands.  Note that the trip is not a regular cruise, but an expedition.  Thus, expect to pay much more than the drive-by cruise.  I am willing to pay more for the once (or twice) in a lifetime experience.  Moreover, I plan to complete more expedition cruises before my legs go.

i had a last minute change of booking from Silverseas to Scenic, because I like Scenic ships more.  After Antarctica, we shall try Arctic.  My friend signed up for Scenic’s Arctic expedition.  I shall let you know our and their experience, if (a big if) our ship actually sails as scheduled.  If the ship launch is delayed again, then I shall rebook the following year, and add an extension to Iguazu Falls.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, dreamercruise said:

Fogfog, my friends did Antarctica with Silverseas two years ago and recommended it to me.  When I checked out Antarctica, I learned to include South Georgia and Falkland Islands.  Note that the trip is not a regular cruise, but an expedition.  Thus, expect to pay much more than the drive-by cruise.  I am willing to pay more for the once (or twice) in a lifetime experience.  Moreover, I plan to complete more expedition cruises before my legs go.

i had a last minute change of booking from Silverseas to Scenic, because I like Scenic ships more.  After Antarctica, we shall try Arctic.  My friend signed up for Scenic’s Arctic expedition.  I shall let you know our and their experience, if (a big if) our ship actually sails as scheduled.  If the ship launch is delayed again, then I shall rebook the following year, and add an extension to Iguazu Falls.

TY

Yes the expeditions are multiple times higher--and as you say rightly-- for a once in a lifetime voyage-- it is worth it

I'll take a look at scenic as well. 

This research started out looking at SA and the sail bys, vs around the horn. Then we started looking at the things to do while in Lima... then South Georgia.. etc so it will be more than one trip and over a couple of years. $and time out of pocket/office being issues. We are not retired. Scope creep regarding all of the things we want to see/experience in that part of the globe.

Best

fog

Fogfog,

ideal time to visit Antartica, Falkland Islands, and SG is from December to February.  Some people also go in November or March.  When possible, I would try to avoid combing the cruise with land tours of Peru (March Picchu) and Argentina/Brazil (Iguazu Falls), because I read that the weather is hottest, most humid (=unbearable), and wettest from December to February in these countries.  Only Reason for my consideration of adding the Iguazu Falls extension is convenience.  I do not tour South America often, and it is too taxing to travel.

As I mentioned in another post, I have arranged a separate land tour to Peru in summer.  I want to fully experience this high altitude region in the most comfortable way.  My body is not as flexible and adjustable as it was years ago.

Another reason for not over-stacking tours/cruises is that I want to keep my body stay refreshed for full experience.  So, yes, split into multiple, shorter duration trips.

Scenic’s winter 2020 schedule is not yet out.  Try to book early for better price and early bird promotions.

• Like 1