Is the White Pass Railway doable on your own from Haines?

Dani24

We are sailing on the Grand Princess in July, and will be stopping in Haines (not Skagway). We are considering doing the White Pass Railway excursion. Through Princess this excursion is $800 for the three of us. Is this something that's potentially bookable independently for cheaper? Or is that too risky given that it's a 7 hour excursion, including a ferry/catamaran ride to/from Skagway?

Also, has anyone done this excursion, and do you have any thoughts? Especially if you did it with kids. I see that it includes breakfast, but is there time to get lunch during the stop in Skagway, since the excursion goes from 7:40 am to 2:45 pm?

• Like 1

The ferry is not part of the Alaska system, but a small fast ferry between Skagway and Haines.  You would have to book it and the train yourself. Personally, I would go with the ship’s tour.  Sometimes it’s easier to be herded...

I looked at doing the same as our cruise stops in Haines also.  I really wanted to do an Emerald Lake excursion but saw that HAL only offered the train in Skagway to go as far as Fraser (if I remember correctly).  I wondered why and then looked at the ferry schedule and saw that although we are in Haines until later in the evening, the last ferry from Skagway was earlier in the day.  I guess we will just wonder around Skagway this trip, as we did the all day train trip into Carcross on our last cruise.  I guess we will just have to book another Alaskan cruise to see Emerald Lake!  

Barb