Trip report Iguazu Falls, January, 2019

EllieinNJ

I know it's late in the season and most cruises have already come and gone to South America, but I just wanted to post some info that I would have liked to known about when I was doing my research.

We were on the NCL Sun out of Buenos Aires for Feb. 2, 2019.  We flew in on Jan. 28th, stayed one night in Hotel Principado Downtown.  They held our large luggage for our return because Aerolinas Airlines only allows limited baggage weight.  Took a cab to AEP for $6 USD the next day.

The Aerolinas flight took about two hours.  We made reservations back in Aug., 2018 for this trip and many of the times were already sold out.  Book early.

When we arrived at IGR there were two booths next to each other.  One was for a private taxi for 700 ARS (about $20 USD) and the other was for a shared minivan to various hotels for 200 ARS (about $5 USD).  We chose the latter and it was interesting seeing where others were staying and it didn't take much longer than the private taxi.

We stayed at Hotel Jardin de Iguazu for two nights.  It was a lovely hotel with a swimming pool, right in town and two blocks from the bus station.  They had a welcome alcoholic drink for us when we arrived.  The breakfast was very good and they make you omelets on request.  There are many good restaurants in walking distance but we know we will eat well on a cruise so usually look for fast food before or after.  There were no McDonalds or Burger King but there was a Subway.  We bought two sandwiches to take back to the room.  On the way back we found another place for fries so got that also.

The next day we were going to take a taxi to the Falls but the hotel receptionist said since we are so close to the bus station we should use it for only $1.30pp USD each way so we did.  It left us off exactly at the entrance.   The entrance fee is $20 USD pp. 

It is quite a long walk to the first train that will take you to where you start the upper or lower trails or you take another train to Diablo.  We did Diablo first.  The walk was on a metal boardwalk and in the 100 degree heat that day,  was very tiring.  I had read somewhere to wear long sleeves for the mosquitos so we did.  Do not do this.  It is too hot.  Bring bug spray instead.  Then we took the train back to the start of the trails and chose the upper trail because there were no steps.  Again, a looong walk but there were places to sit along the way and some shade.  The trails are one-way only so once you start you have to finish.

When you finish the trail you are back at the place where you started.  You can opt to take the other trail, have some refreshments or take the train back to leave.  There are outside tables and benches there and animals called patinas crawling all over.  At first they were cute but got annoying real fast.  We had some ice cream and got out of there real fast.  Took the train back and again walked the long walk to the exit.  The bus was already there and we were back at the hotel very quickly.  I wasn't feeling well.  I think I had heat stroke so just took a shower and went to sleep.  DH ate the leftover sandwiches which we put in the fridge.

We chose to only do the Argentina side so left the next day to go back to Buenos Aires.  We asked the receptionist to call the shuttle for us.  Unfortunately, it was already filled but they sent a private taxi for us and another couple. for the same price.

When we got to AEP there were several booths with taxis so we chose one to go back to the hotel.  Unfortunately, I don't remember the price.

All in all, the side trip to Iguazu was well worth it.  It cost us about $700 total extra.  And very easy to DIY.

• Like 2

Thank you so much, Ellie! We will be in Iguazu Falls 2 weeks from today!  We booked a package thru Say Hueque, staying at the Panoramic Grand, so it will be interesting to see if their service warrants their pricing.

We are 4 couples traveling together, and we've rented a huge apartment fro 3 nights in Buenos Aires , but just occupying it the first and last.  This way we can leave our cruise luggage there and fly light to Iguazu.

Is there a restaurant in the National Park?  I suspect we will be very thirsty and hungry by lunchtime.

2 hours ago, TMLAalum said:

Thank you so much, Ellie! We will be in Iguazu Falls 2 weeks from today!  We booked a package thru Say Hueque, staying at the Panoramic Grand, so it will be interesting to see if their service warrants their pricing.

We are 4 couples traveling together, and we've rented a huge apartment fro 3 nights in Buenos Aires , but just occupying it the first and last.  This way we can leave our cruise luggage there and fly light to Iguazu.

Is there a restaurant in the National Park?  I suspect we will be very thirsty and hungry by lunchtime.

I think I saw a full restaurant where you get the first train.  You may be able to get food where we ate after the first train.

I forgot to mention the boat ride and jeep tour.  We didn't do it but wished we had.  People on our cruise said it was great fun and a great way to cool off.