Coco Cay Construction Pictures Feb 16 2019

link99

1 hour ago, BLAMBKY said:

Wow, that looks like they have made progress!

As a person that is involved in construction. I say May is an easy target date. There building huts, not skyscrapers.  All the foundation work must be done. Electrical and plumbing in. This looks like a site work job. It is The bahamas and I don't know who would do inspections, or if they even have inspections.  But If US building inspectors are involved it could  hold up things a little.

Edited by jptoz

3 minutes ago, oddly excitered said:

"Actual acreage may be exaggerated for dramatic effect":classic_biggrin:

Fair point.

Wikipedia says the island is 1km x 138m, which works out to 34 acres. But that's also assuming it's a rectangle (it's not) and that all the space is available to guests (it's not).

It's still more crowded than Magic Kingdom.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mondas42 said:

Really sorry to say but I just don’t get it! Why would you want a water park, interior pool etc when you are on a beautiful Caribbean island with the Caribbean Sea at your feet?? The pier, the restaurants I get, but the rest?? We are going apparently in July on Harmony, we plan to walk past all the slides and stuff and go straight to the south beach to enjoy the sun, sand and surf. ‘It’s for the kids’ they will say, well when my daughter was a kid she was happy with the sea and a bucket and spade making castles in the sand. I know I’ll get flamed for this but that’s my thought on it. Oh well I guess I’m old fashioned.....or maybe just old.

Believe it or not, some people want those things. It is an especially interesting value proposition for families. Kids aren't going to have 7 days to be able to do those things.

2 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Because RCI can make money on it.

The bottom line is the bottom line.

I have to actually agree somewhat with the post before yours that questions construction of essentially a water amusement park in the middle of the Caribbean...Atlantis kinda broke the ground for putting something "out of context" on a nice tropical island...but there is a market for it...and since they "own" that island...and got the legal OK to build it...it'll get finished soon and likely promoted like crazy to recoup their investment quickly and then make some $$$ profit.

Not unlike the cruises themselves...which are nearly a loss leader...whereby they make their profits selling drinks, upgraded meals, and excursions.

3 hours ago, mondas42 said:

Really sorry to say but I just don’t get it! Why would you want a water park, interior pool etc when you are on a beautiful Caribbean island with the Caribbean Sea at your feet?? The pier, the restaurants I get, but the rest?? We are going apparently in July on Harmony, we plan to walk past all the slides and stuff and go straight to the south beach to enjoy the sun, sand and surf. ‘It’s for the kids’ they will say, well when my daughter was a kid she was happy with the sea and a bucket and spade making castles in the sand. I know I’ll get flamed for this but that’s my thought on it. Oh well I guess I’m old fashioned.....or maybe just old.

I always thought it was in the Atlantic ocean!?

I could see rci  building an amusement park on some other island in the Bahamas. And try to cut Disney, Atlantis  and universal completely out. Every one hates Nassau and the Florida stop is kind of lame. So why not load up the Oasis with people leaving from NY willing to drop some $.

I can see it now cruises from the north east and 3&4 day cruises stopping at Coco cay and there amusement park island.

I could see rci  building an amusement park on some other island in the Bahamas. And try to cut Disney, Atlantis  and universal completely out. Every one hates Nassau and the Florida stop is kind of lame. So why not load up the Oasis with people leaving from NY willing to drop some $.

I can see it now cruises from the north east and 3&4 day cruises stopping at Coco cay and there amusement park island.

5 hours ago, mondas42 said:

I love the beach, but some people prefer a pool without sand.  I think it is great that they may have the option to enjoy their vacation as they wish, I don't judge them at all!  Everyone has a different version of what they consider "vacation."  They picked this cruise because of the enhancements on this island, so I understand that they should be hoping or expecting for them to be done in time.... 

On 2/23/2019 at 8:42 AM, orville99 said:

Given that they already have the bumpers staged and ready to be installed, they're hoisting pre-cast sections of the pier into place, and working on the dolphins at the end of the pier, completion (at least to the extent that would permit docking of a single ship) may not be far off. We're there in three weeks, and I will post pix of any incremental progress from these pictures.

Thanks that would be Great