Qantas Airlines Questions

trbarton

I’m traveling on Qantas from San Francisco to Sydney. I had to pay for my seat assignments. I have copies to show for my paid seats. Anyone have any experience with paid seats & do they ask for a copy of your payment?

If so where do you provide your copy?

Tom😎

Edited by trbarton

8 minutes ago, trbarton said:

I’m traveling on Qantas from San Francisco to Sydney. I had to pay for my seat assignments. I have copies to show for my paid seats. Anyone have any experience with paid seats & do they ask for a copy of your payment?

If so where do you provide your copy?

Tom😎

Have a printed out copy with you. Presumably you will do check-in on a machine and not with a person. If you find the seats are not the ones you selected, ask for assistance and show the person your proof of your selected seats. I have had this happen when I had a selected seat, but not one I paid extra for. My seat was 'taken' and I think it was so a family of 5 could all sit together. I saw that once I was on board. I had been put onto a seat that I did not like. When I asked for assistance at check-in, they found a seat that was just as good as the one I originally selected. As you have paid extra, they should not take your seat. If they have, politely insist that you want the one you paid for.

21 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Have a printed out copy with you. Presumably you will do check-in on a machine and not with a person. If you find the seats are not the ones you selected, ask for assistance and show the person your proof of your selected seats. I have had this happen when I had a selected seat, but not one I paid extra for. My seat was 'taken' and I think it was so a family of 5 could all sit together. I saw that once I was on board. I had been put onto a seat that I did not like. When I asked for assistance at check-in, they found a seat that was just as good as the one I originally selected. As you have paid extra, they should not take your seat. If they have, politely insist that you want the one you paid for.

Thanks for your reply.  Their 2 of us traveling & one is flying to San Francisco from another airport. If we check in on a machine can I check in the other person so all they have to do is to go through security to the gate or will they need their passport for check in?

At some point will they want to see our passports?

Thanks again!

Tom

4 minutes ago, Kartgv said:

You might want to also ask this question on TripAdvisor.    They have an airlines travel forum - a little hard to find on their site, but dig around a bit and you'll find it.   

Thanks!

Tom😀

30 minutes ago, trbarton said:

Thanks for your reply.  Their 2 of us traveling & one is flying to San Francisco from another airport. If we check in on a machine can I check in the other person so all they have to do is to go through security to the gate or will they need their passport for check in

At some point will they want to see our passports?

Thanks again!

Tom

You will each need your passports to check in. You will not be able to check in the other person.

From your post, it sounds like your companion is flying into San Francisco then joining you on the international flight. If the two flights are on the one booking/ticket, your companion would be able to check in for both flights and usually have the option of checking their luggage through to the final destination. If not, he/she would have to collect the luggage then check in at San Francisco. If he/she has enough time between the flights, you could meet up and check in together.

If you are checking in separately at San Francisco, I suggest your companion should also have a copy of the confirmation of your booked seats.

9 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

You will each need your passports to check in. You will not be able to check in the other person.

From your post, it sounds like your companion is flying into San Francisco then joining you on the international flight. If the two flights are on the one booking/ticket, your companion would be able to check in for both flights and usually have the option of checking their luggage through to the final destination. If not, he/she would have to collect the luggage then check in at San Francisco. If he/she has enough time between the flights, you could meet up and check in together.

If you are checking in separately at San Francisco, I suggest your companion should also have a copy of the confirmation of your booked seats.

Thanks for your reply. Yes they are flying into SFO & joining me on the international flight. Yes all of their flights are on one booking number through Princess Cruise Lines so yes their luggage will be checked through to Sydney. 

I’m assuming they will get a separate boarding pass for Qantas in San Francisco?

I like your idea of waiting for them & we both check in together. 

I have copies to show our paid seats. Do I show them at check in?

Thanks for your help!

Tom😀

1 minute ago, trbarton said:

Thanks for your reply. Yes they are flying into SFO & joining me on the international flight. Yes all of their flights are on one booking number through Princess Cruise Lines so yes their luggage will be checked through to Sydney.

I’m assuming they will get a separate boarding pass for Qantas in San Francisco?

I like your idea of waiting for them & we both check in together.

Thanks for your help!

Tom😀

If you check in with a 'real live person', start off by showing them the confirmation of the seat booking. If you check in at a terminal (as we do here) ask for assistance from a nearby staff member if the seats allocated to you are wrong. Point out the problem and nicely ask for it to be resolved. When I did this, my seat had already been given away, but I don't think you will have a problem as you have paid extra for the seats. When I have done this, it has been OK.

If your friends checked in for both flights at their originating airport, then would be given two boarding passes and also a receipt for their luggage. If they check in for the Qantas leg to Sydney when they get to San Fran, they would be give the boarding passes then. If they want to do it this way, I am pretty sure they would have to have their luggage with them. If they wanted to check it all the way from the originating airport to Sydney, they would have to check in for the Qantas flight at the originating airport, not when they seed you in San Fran. Hope this makes sense.

Have a great trip.🙂

18 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

If you check in with a 'real live person', start off by showing them the confirmation of the seat booking. If you check in at a terminal (as we do here) ask for assistance from a nearby staff member if the seats allocated to you are wrong. Point out the problem and nicely ask for it to be resolved. When I did this, my seat had already been given away, but I don't think you will have a problem as you have paid extra for the seats. When I have done this, it has been OK.

If your friends checked in for both flights at their originating airport, then would be given two boarding passes and also a receipt for their luggage. If they check in for the Qantas leg to Sydney when they get to San Fran, they would be give the boarding passes then. If they want to do it this way, I am pretty sure they would have to have their luggage with them. If they wanted to check it all the way from the originating airport to Sydney, they would have to check in for the Qantas flight at the originating airport, not when they seed you in San Fran. Hope this makes sense.

Have a great trip.🙂

Thanks for you Assistance. 

They are coming on American Airlines so it sounds like they will have boarding passes for the local flight plus one for the international flight on Qantas. It this is so their is no need for me to wait for them at the Qantas check in counter as they can simply go through security to the gate. 

It sounds like we check in at a machine where we scan our passport & get tags for our luggage plus our boarding passes. 

Thanks again. 

Tom😀

Edited by trbarton

12 hours ago, trbarton said:

There's no need to show anything unless something has gone wrong. The only thing you need to have in your hand when you check-in is your passport. (I personally don't get this obsession that some people have for waving folders full of papers, or having bundles of paper hanging around their necks.) It helps to know your flight number, but if you can't remember that then it'll be fine as long as you know where your next flight is heading. If you're flying Qantas from San Francisco, it's Hobson's choice anyway - QF74, QF74 or QF74.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Globaliser said:

There's no need to show anything unless something has gone wrong. The only thing you need to have in your hand when you check-in is your passport. (I personally don't get this obsession that some people have for waving folders full of papers, or having bundles of paper hanging around their necks.) It helps to know your flight number, but if you can't remember that then it'll be fine as long as you know where your next flight is heading. If you're flying Qantas from San Francisco, it's Hobson's choice anyway - QF74, QF74 or QF74.

Thanks for your reply. I only asked about showing papers for my paid seats because the Qantas web site indicated that you had to show proof at the airport. 

Can I check in at home for Qantas or do I have to waite until I get to the airport?

Thank!

Tom😀

17 hours ago, trbarton said:

I only asked about showing papers for my paid seats because the Qantas web site indicated that you had to show proof at the airport. 

Can I check in at home for Qantas or do I have to waite until I get to the airport?

Where did you see that on the website? All I could immediately find was "Ensure you take your seat receipt (for purchased seats), boarding pass and Qantas booking reference with you to the airport." So if you've got the paperwork somewhere, you can dig it out if something's gone wrong. The same really goes for any documents evidencing your flight tickets. And it doesn't have to be paper, anyway, these days - an electronic copy on a phone would probably work as well (although I don't personally do this as I don't normally use smartphones).

I think you should be able to check-in online in advance, although if you've already paid for seats that you like, it's unlikely to be particularly important to do so. I usually try to do this, but I don't get hung up about it (earlier this year, the website just kept on erroring on me for a reason that I never got to the bottom of, so I didn't waste any more time on the attempt). And if you've got checked bags, you're going to have to do stuff at the airport anyway. Personally, I have doubts about whether Qantas has check-in machines at SFO (none are mentioned on the website), so you may have to queue for an agent in any event.

6 hours ago, Globaliser said:

Where did you see that on the website? All I could immediately find was "Ensure you take your seat receipt (for purchased seats), boarding pass and Qantas booking reference with you to the airport." So if you've got the paperwork somewhere, you can dig it out if something's gone wrong. The same really goes for any documents evidencing your flight tickets. And it doesn't have to be paper, anyway, these days - an electronic copy on a phone would probably work as well (although I don't personally do this as I don't normally use smartphones).

I think you should be able to check-in online in advance, although if you've already paid for seats that you like, it's unlikely to be particularly important to do so. I usually try to do this, but I don't get hung up about it (earlier this year, the website just kept on erroring on me for a reason that I never got to the bottom of, so I didn't waste any more time on the attempt). And if you've got checked bags, you're going to have to do stuff at the airport anyway. Personally, I have doubts about whether Qantas has check-in machines at SFO (none are mentioned on the website), so you may have to queue for an agent in any event.

Thanks for your reply & information. I’ll see what happens at the airport. 

Tom😎