Rio Secreto vs. Chaak Tun Cenote: Recent Experiences?

casone

Has anyone visited Rio Secreto or Chaak Tun recently as part of a cruise excursion? Is the ferry as bad as they say (seasickness)?  Are bugs a major issue?  I am cold natured but thinking a wet suit might do the trick. We really don’t care to shop but this looks inevitable with both tours.  Husband is vegan and gluten free but it looks like they offer some simple options at lunch. We will be going in May. Thank you for the help!

On 2/23/2019 at 8:28 AM, casone said:

Has anyone visited Rio Secreto or Chaak Tun recently as part of a cruise excursion? Is the ferry as bad as they say (seasickness)?  Are bugs a major issue?  I am cold natured but thinking a wet suit might do the trick. We really don’t care to shop but this looks inevitable with both tours.  Husband is vegan and gluten free but it looks like they offer some simple options at lunch. We will be going in May. Thank you for the help!

we did Rio Secreto 2 years ago on NCL.  For the ship booked excursions they have reserved ferries that pick you up at the ship pier.  The day we went across it wasn't very rough, but i don't get sea sick anyway.  My wife does, but she was fine.  We didn't have any issue with bugs before going underground.  They provide wet suits at the site as part of your package.  I used one, but after going in i probably would have been fine without one.

Rio Secreto is one of my favorite all time excursions. Definitely do it.

I've sent family members on it as well and all similar responses. Love it. 

I was fine without a wet suit. It's cold but you get used to it. But sure, just use a wet suit if you are sensitive to the cold. The entire group we were with decided against it. Nobody complained.