Crows Nest: Koningsdam vs Nieuw Statendam

JennysUncle

tThe Nieuw Statendam seems to be almost a duplicate of the Koningsdam (aside from the artwork) except in one place.  As I understand (haven't sailed it yet) the Crows Nest on the NS has been fitted out in the new style, with the Explorations Cafe merged into the bar, the Excursions office move up to the starboard side, the Captain's Room converted to a lecture space, and big video screens in the middle.  We were afraid that the Koningsdam would be retrofit in that style during its December drydock, as has been happening to the older ships.  Fortunately not !  The Koningsdam Crows Nest still has the traditional layout, except for being carpeted all the way across instead of having a dance floor.  There are a large number of comfortable chairs of various styles in various groupings.  A very pleasant place for a lot of passengers to relax.

Nieuw Statendam has plenty of comfortable seating in the Crow's Nest.  I expected to dislike the changes, but it's actually better than Crow's Nest used to be.  From your description of Koningsdam, it sounds exactly like what I had on Nieuw Statendam last month.

Sue/WDW1972

3 hours ago, wdw1972 said:

Nieuw Statendam has plenty of comfortable seating in the Crow's Nest.  I expected to dislike the changes, but it's actually better than Crow's Nest used to be.  From your description of Koningsdam, it sounds exactly like what I had on Nieuw Statendam last month.

Sue/WDW1972

I also expected to dislike the changes to the Crow's Nest when I sailed on Nieuw Statendam.  I didn't.  My opinion:  the complaining by some was a bit overdone.  Is it better than the Crow's Nest used to be?  I don't think so.  The Captain's Corner area, which is now a lecture area, was very much underutilized when I was in the Crow's Nest.  Once, the EXC staff member was conducting a destination-oriented trivia game there; never saw it used for anything else.  I was surprised to see a "dance-type floor" installed in the middle of the room.  

I disembarked the Nieuw Statendam with the impression that the re-design of the Crow's Nest was still "a work in progress".

As I said, I haven't been on the NS, but virtual tours show that the EXC desk and interactive tables are up there replacing the Explorations Cafe on the starboard side along with the pitiful 'library', and the center section fairly bare except for the big status screens.  Not really similar except in dimensions.  On the Koningsdam the Captains Corner was generally open for sitting, but sometimes closed for private social functions.

1 minute ago, JennysUncle said:

As I said, I haven't been on the NS, but virtual tours show that the EXC desk and interactive tables are up there replacing the Explorations Cafe on the starboard side along with the pitiful 'library', and the center section fairly bare except for the big status screens.  Not really similar except in dimensions.  On the Koningsdam the Captains Corner was generally open for sitting, but sometimes closed for private social functions.

The Exploration's Cafe Coffee Bar is still there, towards the Port center of the room and is a full bar, not just coffee drinks and snacks.  The former Captain's Corner, now used as a lecture area, is open for sitting when not in use.  But, who wants to spend time sitting in a straight chair?  My opinion:  the placement of the EXC desk and interactive tables is not intrusive on the guests' ability to enjoy the Crow's Nest.